PDA

View Full Version : Lake Roosevelt,WA?????

jeffbare
06-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Have any of the Northwest guys spent any time on Lk. Roosevelt? We are going to be there on 4/7 - 4/12 with two other couples on a houseboat. We are renting out of Kettle Falls. We will be taking our friends Air Nautique.

Thanks, Jeff

saberworks
06-29-2011, 06:34 PM
I talked to 3 houseboat rental places during the seattle boat show and it looked like fun. However we had already booked our crescent bar vacation for this year. We may try it next year, please post your experience when you get back!

brucemac
06-29-2011, 06:46 PM
i've never been that far up north, but i've been houseboating there for over 14 years. we've departed out of two-rivers, seven bays and keller ferry. the lake is amazing. barring accidents, inclement weather and/or mechanical issues you will not be disappointed. dont know if it's your first time or not, but the best advice i can give you is to remember that once you're on the houseboat, your'e on vacation. don't feel like you have to be out on the water cruising it the whole time. find a good beach, setup shop and enjoy.

if you could pm me when you get back and let me know what the water level is like, i'd greatly appreciate it. they had a record low back in May preparing for the record snow pack and run-off, but I know it's been climbing steadily. the DNR/Utilities are under contract to have a "full pool" right around the 4th of July weekend so I'm anxious to get someone's feedback who is going soon. we'll be there the 21st - 25th.

feel free to pm me if you have any questions, but keep in mind we've never shoved off out of kettle falls and we've never gone much further than the spokane confluence.

mramerman@gmail.com
06-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Better yet! Post photos of your adventures. Lk. Roosevelt / house-boat trip is on my short list.

jeffbare
06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
i've never been that far up north, but i've been houseboating there for over 14 years. we've departed out of two-rivers, seven bays and keller ferry. the lake is amazing. barring accidents, inclement weather and/or mechanical issues you will not be disappointed. dont know if it's your first time or not, but the best advice i can give you is to remember that once you're on the houseboat, your'e on vacation. don't feel like you have to be out on the water cruising it the whole time. find a good beach, setup shop and enjoy.

if you could pm me when you get back and let me know what the water level is like, i'd greatly appreciate it. they had a record low back in May preparing for the record snow pack and run-off, but I know it's been climbing steadily. the DNR/Utilities are under contract to have a "full pool" right around the 4th of July weekend so I'm anxious to get someone's feedback who is going soon. we'll be there the 21st - 25th.

feel free to pm me if you have any questions, but keep in mind we've never shoved off out of kettle falls and we've never gone much further than the spokane confluence.

I will let you know about the water level once we get back. I was at Lake Chelan almost a month ago, and I have never seen it so low. There were very few boats on the lake becasue the ramps weren't useable. A peir we usually jump off was 15 feet from the water, and there were bouys high and dry. I hope this isn't the case for Roosevelt.
Jeff

mramerman@gmail.com
06-29-2011, 07:03 PM
I will let you know about the water level once we get back. I was at Lake Chelan almost a month ago, and I have never seen it so low. There were very few boats on the lake becasue the ramps weren't useable. A peir we usually jump off was 15 feet from the water, and there were bouys high and dry. I hope this isn't the case for Roosevelt.
Jeff

We were at Banks Lake three weeks ago. We drove up to the dam and were told Roosevelt was down 75'. It looked every bit of that.

I was in Chelan during that time as well and it was as you experienced it--ridiculously low.

Forrest-X45
06-29-2011, 07:04 PM
The lake is huge so you won't have any problem find good water but the wind can pick up mid day and evening. So find a good protected cove to beach the houseboat, you don't want to be in the main channel. They will most likely cover that during the rental checkout. The cove will protect you from the wind because that houseboat is a big sail and you don't want your anchor lines to tear loose in the middle of the night. You also want to keep an eye on the water level because they can vary the water level a lot during the night. You might have to reposition the boat during your stay so when it is time to leave you are not high and dry. Our first year houseboating they dropped the lake level so much one night we had one hell of a time getting the houseboat off the beach the next day.
If you want to take the time, it's pretty much a one day cruise, head south out of Kettle Falls towards Hunters. We used to always beach in a well protected, nice sandy beach cove across the lake from Hunters campground. It's a hike down there but we always felt it was worth it but we also stayed a full week.

Enjoy - you will have a great time!!

jeffbare
06-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I have been on the lake once before, but I was camping and only used a boat for a short time. Here is a link to a map of the lake, I would really like to find some coves that are a little secluded and will keep us out of other boat wakes. I don't mind running the ski boat to find good water.

Link: http://www.lakeroosevelt.com/images/map.pdf

Thanks,

jeffbare
07-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Anyone else with experience on Lake Roosevelt? We will be pretty far north, sounds like most people stay south. Less than a week till we leave!!!

FancySauceRules
07-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Refill is later this year. Refill by the 4th of July is more a guideline that a rule. Here's a link to the water level and forecast. 1290ft is full.

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?GCDW1

brucemac
07-11-2011, 04:38 PM
Jeff you back yet? Just curious how the water was?? Looks like they're forecasting levels between 1288-1290 for the rest of the week. We leave next Thursday. I'm a little concered as that's higher than we've ever had it while visiting. Last August while we were there it was around 1280. 10ft is a pretty big delta when you consider you're looking for a shallow/gradual beach. I'm a little concerned. Water temp? Floating debris? Very busy?

jeffbare
07-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Roosevelt was awsome. The water is a little high, making good beaches hard to find, but the north end of the lake is very quiet, so we didn't have to share a beach or place to ski. Actually, we only saw one other houseboat north of Kettle Falls, and that was just in passing.
Jeff