PDA

View Full Version : electronic ignition ?

83starsstripes
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM
just recieved my pertronix ingitor and flame thrower coil today and i was reading the instructions and it says NOT to remove the ballast resistor is the system has one...now the one thats on it i believe is junk. My question is do i need to put one on it cause the boats 2 hours away from me at the time and i cant get the part number off it to get one and by the time i get off work friday night the marina will be closed to get one! with it being 4th of july this weekend i would like to install the kit and boat all weekend?? anyone no what resistor it needs or if it will hurt it to run it without it???

83starsstripes
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
i read further and i believe with the flame thrower coil it is internally resisterd so therefor no longer needs factory resistor....that sound right?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-29-2011, 06:14 PM
It won't hurt the coil initially but will eventually will cause the coil or ei to fail, check with petronix website for the correct one and cross reference to local auto parts store...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
i read further and i believe with the flame thrower coil it is internally resisterd so therefor no longer needs factory resistor....that sound right?

Some coils area internally ballast so its possible need to verify from manufacturer though...

83starsstripes
06-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Okay on the coil directions says to remove resistor so should be good to go since coil is resisted to 1.5 ohms

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Your good to go then, make sure you recheck ignition timing when your done...

pbgbottle
03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
hows the pertronix working out for you ??

Lumbergh
03-21-2012, 02:01 AM
Holy dead thread resurrection Batman!

In my research I found the NAPA IC64SB is used as a replacement coil that does not require the ballast resistor when doing the electronic ignition upgrade.

catamount
03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Maybe an old dead thread, but one I am interested in!

- I am about to buy the Petronix Ignitor II -- do I *need* the Flame Thrower coil ($$$) or can I just stick with the stock coil?

- Lumbergh, are you saying that I can use the NAPA IC64SB instead of the Flame Thrower, and save myself a ballast too?

Thanks guys!

1redTA
03-21-2012, 10:53 AM
I bought a new coil to go with the EI. Both were the petronix II, .06 ohms I believe, I ditched the ballast resistor

johnlanguab
03-21-2012, 12:36 PM
www.hot-spark.com is an option that may be more affordable.

Lumbergh
03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
I was intending to do the EI conversion before figuring out that I have EI from the factory.

But my 91 PS has the screw down distributer cap, and skidim lists the Mallory EI kit, so that was what I was going with.

In all the reading I did, if the EI kit you buy lists "use ballast resistor", the NAPA IC64SB I listed does not require it. Its about $30.

The way I understand it, the coil is the one being protected by the ballast resistor, not the EI kit. So by buying the non - BR coil, you are covered from frying the old coil.

PS - Check amazon for EI kits, they are pretty cheap compared to everywhere else.

YMMV.

Matt L.
03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
The ballast protects the points from getting too much voltage which causes them to arc and burn out.

I've been running a Pretronix Ignitor II for 8 years with an accell coil and was specifically told to remove the ballast.

Good luck! The Ignitor II was the best cheap upgrade I ever did!

Matt

pbgbottle
03-25-2012, 01:23 PM
thanks for your post Matt L i am looking at the igniter II also .but was wondering how long anybody has used one .8 years sounds good to me . i'll be buying it and giveing it a go .cheers

The ballast protects the points from getting too much voltage which causes them to arc and burn out.

I've been running a Pretronix Ignitor II for 8 years with an accell coil and was specifically told to remove the ballast.

Good luck! The Ignitor II was the best cheap upgrade I ever did!

Matt