PDA

View Full Version : Blower Confusion

Trig2275
06-29-2011, 04:17 PM
My normal start up is I uncover the boat back to front and when I get to the drivers seat I click the blower on and finish uncovering the boat. Store the cover, let everyone on and start the boat. Today I noticed that when I flipped the blower on nothing happened. Even the light on the switch didn't come on. However, after I started the boat it worked fine but kinda defeats the purpose. I think it may have done this last time also. Mind is playing tricks on me now. Any ideas?

Joel
2010 X-15

Lars
06-30-2011, 12:34 AM
I would suggest doing a little more investigating. Does it turn on only with the motor on? what about motor off and key on? After turning off motor? etc. Then you might get some more direction as to what to look at.

peettee79
06-30-2011, 05:55 AM
The Blowers seize up real easy, cos they get wet. I gave up on mine....no explosions thus far.

André
06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
The Blowers seize up real easy, cos they get wet. I gave up on mine....no explosions thus far.

If one happen,will you be there to tell us about it?;)
It's a cheap fix,blowers are not expensives.
**** happens!

Trig2275
06-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Ok. I'll do a little more investigating on Sunday. It seemed like it lost it's constant power source.

bturner2
06-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Due to the way it was installed I had to replace the blower on my 95 200VRS every 2 years (just in time for the product warranty to expire). As much as I hated spending money on blowers they do serve a very important function and should be maintained.

The blower should be on a circuit that has power even with the key is off. As you've provided little information about how your batteries are connected it's hard to determine what may be happening. Regardless you may want to start at the blower itself.

Disconnect the blower plug, turn on the switch for the blower and using a circuit test light or meter check to see if you're getting power to the circuit. If you're getting power chances are your blower is bad and sticking causing a delayed start. If you don't get power try turning the key to the on position and checking the circuit again. If you get power now somehow the blower has been connected to a switched power circuit and needs to be corrected.

east tx skier
06-30-2011, 10:29 AM

For your own safety and that of those in the immediate vicinity, not to mention your boat, please rethink this plan and spend $25 on a new blower.

94PS190
06-30-2011, 11:07 AM
I rarely use my blower. I firmly believe that opening the motor box on a 190 for a min or so removes more fumes than running the blower for 5 plus. I always open the box, or run the blower. Boat is stored uncovered ( covered lift ) so I just find it hard to believe I am risking anything.

bobx1
06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
I am so anal that I open my motor box AND turn on the blower when prepping the boat for launch. What makes even less sense is that I only run the blower (after it has been launched) after the boat has been sitting for a while (on the water or at my dock). ADHD/OCD is a bi*ch.

As an aside and while you are investigating your possible wiring issue Trig2275, I would double check that your auto-bilge is also working and properly wired to the "always hot" circuit. That is another component you want to run without the key.

east tx skier
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
I rarely use my blower. I firmly believe that opening the motor box on a 190 for a min or so removes more fumes than running the blower for 5 plus. I always open the box, or run the blower. Boat is stored uncovered ( covered lift ) so I just find it hard to believe I am risking anything.

Do whatever you like.

But remember, gasoline vapor is heavier than air and tends to collect in the bottom of the bilge. You are not removing everything by opening the motorbox.

It's just a helpful suggestion. While I'd hate to see someone get hurt or destroy his boat for not wanting to push a button, I suppose I don't really care what anyone else does so long as neither, I, my friends, or my family are near the boat, or at the very least, aren't waiting to use the boat ramp while that person tries to put out the fire and collect his motorbox from where ever it landed.

Best of luck.

Trig2275
06-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Bobx1

Auto bilge works fine. The blower actually worked as well which is why I'm confused. It only DIDN'T work initially when I first clicked it on. After I started the boat it worked fine. Also after we were done for the day and returned to the dock I turned the boat off and checked to see if the blower would come on and it did. I'll pay more attention Sunday when I'm out there and see what happens and try a few different scenarios if it doesn't work initially. I'm leaning towards the switch.

CantRepeat
06-30-2011, 11:52 AM

Pete, I thought you were a little crazy for putting 6000lbs of ballast in your X2, but I know you are for not having a blower. :(

What happens when gas and fumes ignite on a boat. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTPHrFmgdWM)

east tx skier
06-30-2011, 11:58 AM
To add to CantRepeat's media assault, I would point out that beautiful early 90s ProStars are not immune to the boom.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NoDxtnn3jZo/TgycvuWMIHI/AAAAAAAAECc/ZA_ZVNLWneI/Toasty93.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Dayk-Et9i2w/TgycwgDFeMI/AAAAAAAAECg/Y2CwiT2HREM/ToastyProstar2.jpg

rjracin240
06-30-2011, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=peettee79;767470]The Blowers seize up real easy, cos they get wet. I gave up on mine....no explosions thus far

Darwin at work, good luck sir!

CantRepeat
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
To add to CantRepeat's media assault, I would point out that beautiful early 90s ProStars are not immune to the boom.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NoDxtnn3jZo/TgycvuWMIHI/AAAAAAAAECc/ZA_ZVNLWneI/Toasty93.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Dayk-Et9i2w/TgycwgDFeMI/AAAAAAAAECg/Y2CwiT2HREM/ToastyProstar2.jpg

Wow! :eek3:

Eastie, that boat don't look so good!

east tx skier
06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
I know. Can you believe they don't even keep their teak oiled. ;)

CantRepeat
06-30-2011, 12:33 PM
I know. Can you believe they don't even keep their teak oiled. ;)

Yup, the teak is a gonner, but I'm thinking the rest will buff out. :D

jconover
06-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Holy cow - where did that picture come from?

bobx1
06-30-2011, 12:40 PM
I think we should require that all people from California that don't use their blowers sign some type of waiver. The boating industry cannot afford another California jury.

ahhudgins
06-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Do whatever you like.

But remember, gasoline vapor is heavier than air and tends to collect in the bottom of the bilge. You are not removing everything by opening the motorbox.

It's just a helpful suggestion. While I'd hate to see someone get hurt or destroy his boat for not wanting to push a button, I suppose I don't really care what anyone else does so long as neither, I, my friends, or my family are near the boat, or at the very least, aren't waiting to use the boat ramp while that person tries to put out the fire and collect his motorbox from where ever it landed.

Best of luck.

Since the gas vapors settle to the bilge, make sure your blower hose is close to bilge level. The original owner (or mechanic) had removed the blower hose on my Maristar so the blower really wasn't sucking any gas fumes. I spent a few bucks and put a new hose on the blower. It's just habit for me...I run the blower any time the boat is at idle and less than 20 mph. Better safe than blown up I always say. I do run with sissors tho.

east tx skier
06-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Holy cow - where did that picture come from?

Teamtalk. I forget who posted it.

Trig2275
07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Went out today and the blower worked like normal. I'm starting to think that this may have been a figment of my imagination. I am proud to report that we've been out more than 30 hours already this year. Time for an oil change.

BriEOD
07-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Teamtalk. I forget who posted it.

I remember when that came up. Fortunately IIRC, no one was hurt.

BriEOD
07-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I run the blower any time the boat is at idle and less than 20 mph. Better safe than blown up I always say. I do run with sissors tho.

I do the same, better safe than sorry!

CantRepeat
07-03-2011, 09:02 PM

Living on the edge, Bri! You know getting cut is way worse then getting blown the hell up! :D

André
07-03-2011, 09:55 PM

What do you know about explosions?;)

Stutsman230
07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
I've had problems with circuit breakers in the past on a PS with about 500 hours on it. The blower wouldn't run and I thought the motor was bad/intermittent but turned out to be the connections inside the circuit breaker. Replaced the breaker and fixed the phantom issue.

skierdan
07-04-2011, 12:16 AM
wished I woulda read this thread earlier. what is this circuit breaker you are talking about? pics please. my blower is not working due to "slight condensation" :)

Bert
07-04-2011, 02:30 AM

That wasn't from a boom. It was set on fire.

Stutsman230
07-04-2011, 03:38 PM
wished I woulda read this thread earlier. what is this circuit breaker you are talking about? pics please. my blower is not working due to "slight condensation" :)

The boat was a 1997 PS190 and the circuit breaker was located directly under the blower switch on the dash. I don't have pictures showing the dash as the boat is at the dealer on consignment.

CantRepeat
07-04-2011, 08:52 PM
What do you know about explosions?;)

Yeah, Brian, what do you know about home made explosives and washing machine timers? lol ;)

GoneBoatN
07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
My 14 year old son with ADD, runs the blower. If he can remember, then so can I. Sometimes I wish he would remember to turn it off but then again, life is good when you having fun on your boat with the family!

:)

GoneBoatN
07-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Next time it is happening, a volt meter would come in handy to determine if it is the switch or the blower. Put in it the boat or tool box so that you will have it next time it happens. Could be switch or loose wire. Then again, having the tool ready just might keep it from ever happening again.