PDA

View Full Version : Fuel leaking - help!

cav14
06-28-2011, 10:00 PM
So there's a distinct smell of raw fuel coming from the engine bay, and I can see some fuel around the gasket at the top of the tank (2002 X-Star). I read in a previous thread a post by East TX skier saying something about replacing that gasket. Is it difficult? How long should it take a dealer to do, and how much should it cost? Can the boat be run with the little bit of fuel there is leaking? (It's an extremely small amount)

Thanks

JimN
06-28-2011, 10:23 PM
So there's a distinct smell of raw fuel coming from the engine bay, and I can see some fuel around the gasket at the top of the tank (2002 X-Star). I read in a previous thread a post by East TX skier saying something about replacing that gasket. Is it difficult? How long should it take a dealer to do, and how much should it cost? Can the boat be run with the little bit of fuel there is leaking? (It's an extremely small amount)

Thanks

It's not the amount of raw fuel that leaks out, it's the ratio of fuel vapor to air that's a problem. The gasket isn't hard to change and it seems that someone replaced the pump or filter and didn't tighten it correctly or may have cross-threaded the machine screws.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Personally I would not run a vehicle with fuel leaking, if its the pump, sender gasket leaking it should only take a few minutes with basic hand tools to replace. This time of year a dealer might keeps your boat for weeks on end, I suggest research the leak order gasket and replace it yourself...