PDA

View Full Version : X-14V Ballast Questions/Problem

JTNG
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
2009 X-14V, Had Portland Ski Boat Center change out from yellow to green impellers to stop the ballast from filling up while sitting in the water overnite. Just launched the boat for the summer last Saturday, (Its been raining alot here in Oregon, Lake is only 64 degrees) and the side ballasts are filling up full and the center ballast is filling up to half? (This is alot worse than the Yellow Impellers.) The green impellers seem to be alot slower on filling and emptying than the yellow ones I had in last year. Also when I flip the fill switches my ballast screen doesnt pop up on the dash? Any help/advice would be mutch appreciated. Thanks!:)

GT500 MC
06-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Have a '10 x14v and had similar issue two weeks ago. Side/rear ballasts fill up and empty quickly, while the center seemed to get stuck about 2/3 full. Had to let that one run longer and it eventually filled up (I did increase the rpms to about 1,800 from 1,500-seemed to help a bit). Same with emptying it. Boat only had six hours on it so I still have the original impellers, don't know which ones they are, yellow or green. I didn't have the ballast screen issues-as soon as I hit any of the three switches, the ballast screen popped up immediately.

JohnE
06-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Tons of ballast threads here, you probably need to search. My 09 X14DD KGB fills on it's own and shuts off every 30 seconds or so when emptying. I need to search to figure out the solution. I thought it was a matter of changing to the green impellers. Someone will be along soon I imagine to fill us in.

JTNG
06-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info! Yes, my switch lights start flashing after about 30 seconds as well. The dealer said it is so the pumps dont burn up when the ballast is empty?? I tried (not very hard) looking through the other posts, but after about 3 pages i didnt see anything that addressed my problems. The guys at Portland Ski Boat Center are watching my thread to try to learn more about the issues, seems this is somewhat of a pain for them and can't get straight answers from MC.

mseller
06-29-2011, 12:17 PM
How many flashes? You may need to reprogram the timer to go longer(may have reset over winter)

gts-20
06-29-2011, 01:19 PM
We had similar problems with our '08 PS214 ballast pumps. Texas Ski Ranch fixed them this last time since the now closed Houston Mastercraft could't figure it out. They said the "pump timers" had to be reset, and that it is a very common problem and very difficult to fix and keep fixed.

GoneBoatN
06-29-2011, 01:48 PM
This thread has the meaning of the flashing lights as defined by the # of flashes:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=26167&highlight=IMPELLER-JABSCO+GREEN

It also has the information for reprogramming the timers. I have an 2010 X15 with the BIG and just a point of note that the timers are set using the BIG in this case.

At least, know the number of flashes and that is telling you is a start.

I have shutoff valves on the ballast intake ports. If you have the same, then perhaps it will be best to turn them to the off position if leaving the boat on the water overnight at least for the short term until the problem is fixed.

burbey
06-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Have you verified that you don't have any kinks in your fill hoses? I had this on my 09 X14V for the KGB ballast. After replaced the hose along with green impellers it worked much better.

JTNG
07-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Hey All, thanks for the advice! Was at the lake this weekend and checked the center ballast and sure enough it had a green impellar. Drank too much Saturday Night so was shaking to bad to try to unscrew those tiny little brass screws clear in the back:o. I will give it a shot next weekend. The other issue is that the ballast screen doesnt pop up when i turn on the switches? pulled the switch cover and couldnt find anything unplugged? Does any one have any suggestions of why its not coming on? Thanks for any help!

teamcanada
07-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I had the same issue with the center tank on my '10 X14V. Dealer did not fix either.