PDA

View Full Version : Help adding Bow Sack to Stock Ballast Setup

DBrown2
06-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Well I have stock setup Ballast system the rear tanks where simple in thought to add.. see other thread with Sham started. So today I started on Bow Sack was going to integrate into ski locker bag. So I tear into it wide open.. then notice ahh there is two overflow lines. My ski locker bag fills from bottom and at one end there is a overflow line running out.. then opposite end another overflow.. they both run out of locker thru breath hole under driver floor up to two different exit fittings.

So scratching head why they plumbed two separate?? I am thinking ok the one overflow above or top side of bag of the fill is for air escape. Then the other end is true overflow? Or why would they not run both overflows into one single line that runs to exit outside.

That's my issue are they both true overflows?? So I got to tie both overflows into bow bag to fill? I visioned pulling the farthest overflow ski bag port to the fill into bow bag.. then use bow bag over flow into that once used overflow exit fitting from ski bag out of boat.

I envision doing this and then bow bag not truly filling cause ski bag other overflow stock is now dumping water out.

JRW160
06-28-2011, 10:59 PM
I have wondered about this as well. My boat is setup with a 3 way ball valve under the rear seat on the out line of the pump. Switching the valve switches the fill/drain from the ski locker back to the integrated bow sack.

73blue
06-29-2011, 08:06 AM
I ran both overflows into separate openings in the bow sack, then ran one vent/overflow from the bow sack to the port thru-hull (the original vent for the locker sack). Then I plugged the strbd thru-hull. Works great

DBrown2
06-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Alright thks wasn't sure if I was going ti install cut off valve to stock locker sac left behind or what.

ShamrockIV
06-29-2011, 10:38 AM
keep me posted dbrown, this is my next project!!

DBrown2
06-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Sham you know it, I am thinking of just using one overflow line, from the Ski locker, that way when I do see something shooting out.. first it will be the Ski Bag if this happens.. I may put a on/off valve on the remaining Ski Locker Bag overflow... if it needs it so the bow will fully fill.

I am guessing that the Ski Locker remaining line, want start pucking out until the bow fills and back flows pressure to the ski locker bag. From what I read, the bow bag want reach anywhere near full before seats start lifting and moving.

73blue
06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
The only thing I'd worry about with that setup is venting the bow sack to keep air from getting trapped (since the bow sack is higher than the locker). Also the bow sack fills faster with 2 lines.

DBrown2
06-29-2011, 07:37 PM
The Bow Sack will have vent Line... it is coming out of top of center of bag... as of now.. the fill comes in thru the bottom of Bow Sack... from one of the over flows from the Ski Bag... 73 Thanks for input... another reason why I dont want to run both overflows from Ski Bag... to the bow bag.. as one stated above.

DBrown2
07-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Well... in a X10 2001 Hull... a Bow Bag is a must... I did just as above, the ski bag filled then started overflowing out the side, but the Bow Bag was already 25% Filled. I had left my on/off PVC Valve I had put together in the truck. So I took a nice needed Beverage break and stuck my finger in the over flow outlet in the Hull. The Bow bag filled to the point it was pushing up out of the Bow area (Looked a Squeezed Balloon) so I emptied just a little to take the tight pressure off. I am on the fence about installing the On/Off it was nice to know, without keeping the locker open... Hey the locker is full and now the bow is filling.

Next I began filling the Rear Tanks, I started driver side first... Filled the stock hard, and then the Fly High Bag... At this point the rear platform was in the water on drivers side a good 9-12". Had the wife pull, for Surf speed... The sweet spot was at 10.5, with me sitting on the bow driver side. The Driver Side wave was clean, no more wash out, and about 2-3 times the size of last year according to the wife. This thru me, because I thought you rode the opposite side you filled... Needless to say... I emptied Driver... then filled passenger.

Once I got out of the boat back to surf, I noticed I needed more weight back on the passenger side... So a quick pull of the cooler, and the wave was golden.

The Bow emptied fine, but I did have to lift the opposite side from the drain, to get what little was left, flow over to the other side. When I say a little I mean very little, Once I lifted and it flowed over, the Pump wasnt on 30 secs. I am OCD about my Toys so everything has to be perfect or at least perfect the way I think it should be.

One thing or at least in my case. The pumps will fill all the way, but if you go to run empty right away they want. I assume some type of cool down period (seemed to take 15 min).

All in all for the sum total of about 550 Bucks a good long term investment.

73blue
07-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Awesome man, glad you got it goin. I do think it empties a little better with that 2nd overflow run to the bow sack since its sucking from both sides, but either way works.