PDA

View Full Version : rent house w/ boat lift, use it?

gts-20
06-28-2011, 02:21 AM
My girlfriend has rented a house on Lake Austin for the week of my birthday at the end of August. The house has a covered boat dock w/ a lift. What should I look at when checking the lift to see if our '08 PS214 will fit? The home owner says its rated for 4500 lbs and a max length of 24ft. I'm sorry for the poor quality and angle of the pics, they are from the home owners website. Please let me know your opinions. Should I even try to use the lift or just leave the boat in the water?

thanks for your help

Desert eagle
06-28-2011, 03:41 AM
I know someone that lives on the lake and the only thing I can help you with is make sure you swing the board racks in before you pull up to the lift. The cables are close and will catch them especially if you have ski's or boards on them.

mseller
06-28-2011, 09:03 AM
also make sure the bunkers are in the right position...you can temporarily lift to make sure...you don't want your boat sitting on the clam shell intakes

chawk610
06-28-2011, 09:03 AM
LUCKY!!! That looks like a party waiting to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RaeRay
06-28-2011, 09:46 AM
It will fit, but swing board racks in...... We put our 55 in a slip very similar on austin&travis when we go up there. have fun!

helton333
06-28-2011, 10:30 AM
definately check the distance on the bunkers - compare them to your trailer - you don't want to pick the boat up on the water intake - also - if there is any structure beneath the prop and fins, you need to make sure that those will not hit it when the boat picks it up - I would proceed with a little caution just to make sure you don't damage. I have experience.

#47of100TeamMC
06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
That looks Awesome! When should we arrive? If you don't use the lift, I will put mine on it... Oh, and Happy Birthday! ;)

Jeff d
06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
you don't want to pick the boat up on the water intake

My 230 VRS MasterCraft trailer has one of the bunks positioned right on the raw water intake

TxsRiverRat
06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
What should I look at when checking the lift to see if our '08 PS214 will fit?

August? 1st think I would check for is water in the lake!

pmkkdx
06-28-2011, 12:43 PM
August? 1st think I would check for is water in the lake!

FYI ... Lake Austin is constant level.

gts-20
06-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the input. So far it sounds liKe I need to measure my trailer bunks so see if the spacing is correct.

Do you think the tracking fins will come in contact with the cross bars? I assume that this kind of lift is made to be raised from under the boat, and not made to have the boat floated on, like the trailer.

ps, If anyone is going to be in/on Lake Austin around the weekend of the 26th-28th, drop by for a few cold ones. PM me for directions.

TxsRiverRat
06-28-2011, 01:21 PM
FYI ... Lake Austin is constant level.

Woops! I thought it said travis :)

davidstan
06-28-2011, 02:03 PM
I would use the lift halfway (if the bunks are ok) so it is still in the water but secured against wake hits and dock rash. If the lift fails damage is minimal.

pmkkdx
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
from what I can see in the earlier pictures, my guess is the lift is designed for an I/O or OB. If you think of your trailer, you have bunks that run close to full length but it's cut out where the shaft/prop clears ... the lift pictured doesn't appear to have that to clear the tracking fins or drive shaft/prop. You might be able to lower far enough down to where all that clears it to use merely as a dock, while putting out bumpers off your boat and tying in place. Depending on location on Lake Austin, it can be pretty rough from boat traffic & toss your boat around while in the stall from rollers. (ie, make sure the lift is well below the lowest point on your boat to allow for swells).

JJMorris3
06-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Looks like you might be able to crank it up really high and forget it. Use it like a normal dock assuming your tower will fit?
I will watch for you out there. I put in at Steiner Ranch.

aarosurf
06-28-2011, 06:18 PM
How crazy/crowded does Lake Austin get on the 4th of July weekend? I may be heading up there too it would be my first time on a holiday weekend.

JJMorris3
06-28-2011, 06:28 PM
On peak summer weekend days - which July 4 weekend is obviously- its pretty busy. Skiing and boarding is fine early, until say, 10:30 or 11. Then lunch at SkiShores and hang in the party cove near the 360 bridge maybe. However, if you can brave very cold water, then up towards the dam near Lake Travis is usually not busy, even in the afternoon on the busy weekends. But it is cold water from the bottom of Lake Travis. Basically north of where I have marked the red x on the map above. Also worth noting: I think there are more people on Lake Austin lately too because Travis is so low.

pmkkdx
06-28-2011, 06:55 PM
I believe they also outlaw PWC on Lake Austin for holiday weekends??? but likewise, Austin will likely impose a no refusal weekend too ... use very good judgement if partaking of adult beverages, especially if behind the wheel!!!

pmkkdx
06-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Looks like you might be able to crank it up really high and forget it. Use it like a normal dock assuming your tower will fit? ...

agree on cranking lift up really high ... if the boat will fit underneath (doubtful if you have a tower, unless you fold).

helton333
06-28-2011, 07:01 PM
I can bend a raw water intake on an 89 mc with my finger (the blades) - I can not on my 2003

gts-20
06-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Looks like you might be able to crank it up really high and forget it. Use it like a normal dock assuming your tower will fit?
I will watch for you out there. I put in at Steiner Ranch.

The house is at the end of Ski Slope Rd. By water, it is about 100 yards traveling up stream past the power lines, on the left. I don't think its very far from Stiener Ranch. We will be at my parents house in Bee Creek August 25th with family, and then at the rent house on the lake August 26-29. look for our White/Viper Red Prostar 214 w/ mini tower and black bimini. Stop by, we will be hitting the lake hard in the mornings, and then hanging out at the dock in the afternoons. There will be free beer! lol.

gts-20
06-28-2011, 07:32 PM
agree on cranking lift up really high ... if the boat will fit underneath (doubtful if you have a tower, unless you fold).

Our boat has a mini tower, so we might get away with it. The owner said that the lift will lower all the way to the lake bottom, but that if left that way the cables get slack in them and can cause problems. He also said that the lift has been used by inboards before without any problems that he knew of. I'm worried about the strut/shaft clearing the cross bars.

pmkkdx
06-28-2011, 07:52 PM
depending on the length (front to back) of the runners & placement of the cross bars (especially the rear cross bar) on the lift, you might be able to lower the lift and pull the boat forward enough that the cross bar is behind the strut/shaft/prop area (like around the tail end of the boat). Just use extreme caution to insure the lift is down low enough when coming in and departing that the lower extremities don't hit (especially if under engine power!!!)

JJMorris3
07-16-2011, 09:41 AM
I am going out this morning. I'll take a look. And definitely watch for you in august. I like beer.

-V-
07-17-2011, 03:01 PM
lake austin is cool, but can get really stupid on the weekends. its where i used to go all the time. by the way, can i get that contact info for the rental? i might have to take a vacation there.

JJMorris3
07-18-2011, 11:55 PM
No boat on lift on Sunday. Btw, it was glass until 8:30, people didn't start showing up til 9:30. Not bad for a Sunday. Weekdays are quieter.

gts-20
08-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Wow, sorry I missed all these new post. We are leaving to head up to the the rent house Thurs. night 08/25, and will be there through Mon. 08/29. I still have no idea if the boat will fit on the lift, but if not, we will just leave it in the water and hope for the best. We have some friends coming that are bringing their i/o crownline. They can use the lift if we don't. Stop by and say high if you see us. Our boat is a PS214 white/viper red w/ minitower and black bimini. You can't miss our friends Crownline. It's got a custom rap, black/orange with skulls and crosses on it, name the comproMIZE.

gts-20
08-20-2011, 05:42 PM
lake austin is cool, but can get really stupid on the weekends. its where i used to go all the time. by the way, can i get that contact info for the rental? i might have to take a vacation there.

Here is the house we are staying in:

http://www.vrbo.com/253029

There are a bunch of Houses on Lake Austin available on this site. I think the next one we rent will be on Lake Dunlap.

gts-20
08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
We are loaed up and headed to Austin! The boat will be in the water tonight for a 6:00 am ski run in the morning! Umm, FREE BEER! lol.

pmkkdx
08-25-2011, 03:28 PM
We are loaed up and headed to Austin! The boat will be in the water tonight for a 6:00 am ski run in the morning! Umm, FREE BEER! lol.

you better have headlights on your boat if you will be skiing at 6:00 am ... sunrise tomorrow is 7:04 am

gts-20
08-26-2011, 06:06 PM
you better have headlights on your boat if you will be skiing at 6:00 am ... sunrise tomorrow is 7:04 am

Lol, yep. Left the 360 ramp @ 5:55 this moring. Picked up my buddy from his house up lake, and still had to wait till about 6:45 to get enough light to ski. Going to hit it again tomorrow moring, but not till after 7am.

bnixon
08-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Did the boat fit on the lift?

gts-20
08-27-2011, 01:11 AM
Did the boat fit on the lift?

Yes it does fit. Better than I thought it would.

bnixon
08-28-2011, 12:24 AM
Nice, we rent a house on lake Austin each summer for a week. I might have to give this house a shot! How do you like it?

gts-20
08-30-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice, we rent a house on lake Austin each summer for a week. I might have to give this house a shot! How do you like it?

We loved it. Great access to the upper part of Lake Austin. The private drive its on is very narrow, so bringing the trailor back to the house was a little tight. There are six parking places in front of the house,so parking the trailer wasn't a problem. The lift was a little tricky to get used to, but worked well once we figured out how to center the boat. We had about 25 people over Sat. night to celebrate my 40th. Everyone had a great time and loved the house. Its only three bedrooms, but sleeps 10 people. Here are the view from the dock Friday afternoon.