PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I know, It's not a MasterCraft...BUT........

Z71_Silvy
06-28-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm hoping that there is someone on this site that knows a tad about this specific model of Supra:

LINKY (http://www.valleymotorsports.net/index.php/sale/detail-boats/1988_-_23_supra_ski_boat_w_2005_moomba_trailer/)

I really have no preference as to what kind of inboard boat I get...just as long as it 1. SOUNDS GOOD. 2. Is in great shape. 3. Has a clean bill of health.

I really want to stay away from wood stringers if I can...but this boat seems to be a hell of a deal. Seeing as there are people on this site that have actually purchased these type of boats in the past, is there anything that is striking you odd...or something that is telling you that if you were looking, you would avoid it?

Huskie05
06-28-2011, 12:14 AM
Seems like an odd paint job, inside looks clean. Trailer??? Red? Hey, whatever floats your boat right? I know nothing about them, just thought it looked different, but different is usually good.
Good Luck...

Z71_Silvy
06-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Seems like an odd paint job, inside looks clean. Trailer??? Red? Hey, whatever floats your boat right? I know nothing about them, just thought it looked different, but different is usually good.
Good Luck...

Thank you. Yeah...the trailer is from a 2005 Moomba...colors of the boat look similar to what I have seen on early Supras.

This boat seems odd to me as it's a high-sided inboard with a cuddy. It's like a MariStar with a closed front bow (meaning a crossover boat).

I'm torn. Half of me says it would be great because of the cuddy/higher sides/new engine, etc. The other half of me says that boat with a new 454 is too cheap and that something else is going on with it that is making the price lower (ie rotten stringers).

But then again, would they be able to replace the engine with rot present in the stringers???

This is what keeps bringing me back to MC...all fiberglass construction since 1983. This one caught my eye:

Link (http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=28331)

oumiller28
06-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Mmm... That is a nice looking prostar.
What is keeping you from the prostar or what has that supra got that has you burning a hole in your pocket?

MC4SNETS
06-28-2011, 01:02 AM
Cool boat if it fits your needs. When I was a teenager I would fish with my buddy's grandfather while my buddy slept in the cabin of the 20' cuddy we were in....then we'd ski and "Skurf" when he finally woke up.

Not sure you can call it a "Ski Boat" even if it's an inboard.....that's a pretty deep V. Bet it makes a nice wake though.

I don't know anything about this specific model. What do you want to do with it? Ski? Wakeboard? Surf? Fish? Drive fast? Float in a cove and swim?

gotta_ski
06-28-2011, 03:22 AM
That prostar is sweet. I don't know about that supra. Its kinda funky. Too big to have a good ski wake. That pylon won't fit a pylon extension, so you'd have to buy a tower to wakeboard. The larger hull and a 454 will suck alot more fuel too. Is the cuddy big enough for a full size adult to lay down in? It looks short in the photos. If so, I don't really see the point.

As others said, we need to know more about what you want to do with it. Those are two very different boats for two very different uses.

LivinTheDream
06-28-2011, 04:47 AM
We have had an 86 Pirata for about 15 years and it has been a pretty good boat for us. The cuddy is pretty good size and has come in handy for storage and for the occasional nap for the kiddos. The ski wake isn't great but the deadrise is relatively flat aft that helps with it. It is flat enough that you can throw this boat into a nasty powerslide. For wakeboarding it is great for a boat of this era although adding fat sacks anywhere eats up a ton of floor space. No doubt this boat has wooden stringers but you should be able to check the condition of those through the forward two hatches and the engine compartment.

bturner2
06-28-2011, 07:06 AM
We haven't had good luck with Supras up here in Michigan, at least the ones I've been in contact with. That being said the only ones I worked on were "deals" friends have purchased over the years and those were all at least 7 years old. Of the three (and only three) that I've had experience with all had rotted stringers. All had wiring problems and all had seats that were falling apart. Again this could be because they were all "great deals" that friends had purchased and called their inboard buddy to help them out with them.

Conversely speaking I've owned several and have help several friends with Malibus, CCs and Mastercrafts that were of the same vintage without these problems. The BUs and Mastercrafts all had fiberglass stringers and the construction of the interiors are just better than the Supra. In the end if the price sounds too good to be true it usually is.

aquaman
06-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Looks to me like the Supra has had fiberglass hull work done around the strut and rudder? Not a good sign. :( Does anyone else see that?

That is a nice looking Prostar in Mn.

ttu
06-28-2011, 07:41 AM
lots of wood in that boat which leads to rotten stringers. go to the supra.com and to to there owners forum. lots and lots :rolleyes: of stringer replacement info.

Ben
06-28-2011, 08:29 AM
You should also list what yo want to do with the boat. Ski (recreational, or getting into mid range slalom), wakeboard, tube, surf, hang out, or just drive around in an inboard. Also, how many people do you expeect to have on the boat when you go out.

The two boats you have listed are very different from a watersports perspective. Similar from a driving around an inboard V-8 perspective.

BG1772
06-28-2011, 08:36 AM
One of my friends use to have that boat. He put a tower on it and weighted it down. Made a pretty good wake, but it was a beast to get out of the hole. I don't recall if he ever upgraded to a 4 blade prop. For as big of a boat as it is, there is not a lot of space inside.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Not too sure about the boat, but my dealings with VMS in the past have been very good. They did some work on an I/O that I had prior to my '77 and was very happy with what they did and charged.

Along with everyone else, I will ask you what you plan to do with whatever boat you get and where you want to boat. If you want to spend your time on Minnetonka without being concerned with water conditions, the Supra may well be a good boat for you. If you like the smaller water and are more into skiing, then the Prostar or similar would be a better choice.

Good luck on you choice and keep us posted.

jamisonsbrodie
06-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Z71,

I have a 1990 Prostart 190, Red and white with the newer style interior, newer style engine in great shape with 874 hours that I might be selling soon. I would let it go for $9000. The 1990+ interior is way better looking than the 1989 IMO. I am also in the Minneapolis area.

It is identical to this:

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27485

east tx skier
06-28-2011, 09:54 AM
lots of wood in that boat which leads to rotten stringers. go to the supra.com and to to there owners forum. lots and lots :rolleyes: of stringer replacement info.

I recall reading that Supra was wood free with regard to the stringers and floor from around 1991 to 1992 or so. That looks like a Supra Mariah (didn't see the model listed in the ad). Probably a fine boat for running around and doing some free skiing/boarding behind.

My brother in law has owned a 99 Supra Comp for the last eight or so years and it has been a good boat for him.

Z71_Silvy
06-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Z71,

I have a 1990 Prostart 190, Red and white with the newer style interior, newer style engine in great shape with 874 hours that I might be selling soon. I would let it go for $9000. The 1990+ interior is way better looking than the 1989 IMO. I am also in the Minneapolis area.

It is identical to this:

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27485

We need to speak. I'm interested! ;)

I recall reading that Supra was wood free with regard to the stringers and floor from around 1991 to 1992 or so. That looks like a Supra Mariah (didn't see the model listed in the ad).

From what I understand, it's a Supra Pirata. It's the closed bow version of the Mariah. And yes, according to my list, Supra went fiberglass in 1992 with the Response...1996 with everything else. That could be wrong though.

----------------------------------------

Here's the deal guys. I have wanted an inboard (ski) boat since the time I could hold up one hand to tell you my age. Having spent virtually every single summer at my grandparent's summer cottage in Northern Wisconsin on a 10 lake chain of clean/clear lakes, there was a vast amount of inboard (ski) boats, that, when they went by, the sound of them put me into a trance. That was followed by copious amounts of drooling as that fantastic looking, low-slung "muscle boat" rumbled by. Today, the drooling and trance still occur, but I'm older now and don't have enough appendages to show my age (most are thankful I'm not 21 any more!!!)

The sad part is...I really am not a skier. Sure I can get out on a ski and have a good time, but my main reason for wanting a boat like this is the sound/look/sportiness. That is why I am equally attracted to the larger boats like the MariStar, the Supra posted above, the Dominique by CC, etc. I would primarily be using the boat on the St Croix River and how the boat cuts through waves of all sizes is important. I can't say too much about the Bayliner 1900 Capri I have now in terms of materials and the quality of the build...but I can say this, that Bayliner rides extremely well. Now, I rarely go out on the St. Croix on the weekend when there are thousands more boats out than during the week...so the ride is not all too high on my need/want/like to have list.

As I research things to the death (you should have seen me with my truck), I have a list going as to what I must have, and what I would like to have. Here is the list so far (in no particular order):

MUST HAVES:
-Dual exhaust
-Fiberglass stringers (wood a very outside possibility if they are solid)
-Above average shape for it's age (ie almost new looking inside and out including trailer)
-Clean bill of health (engine/trans, etc)
-NO TOWER...or one that's removable so I can sell it.

LIKE TO HAVE:
-Open bow
-Maintenance records
-Cover
-V-Hull
-GOOD stereo

And, just like anybody, I want to get that boat for the cheapest price possible. The biggest thing, is I want something that's water ready. I don't want to buy something that's needs major attention like an engine/stringers/transmission when all I brought in for was to be winterized or something minor.

TxsRiverRat
06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I know someone with the Mariah version of that boat and they slalom behind it, I donít think I would want to.

But for your needs, I donít really get it... You boat on a large public river meaning a lot of rollers, why an inboard? Inboards suck on rough waters... You donít ski, so the wake wont matter, and you want a V-hull... You should be looking at a v-drive maristar or some other wakeboarding boat.

And personally, no offense, I donít think that boat is very good looking.

MC

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Driving a boat the size of a Prostar on the St. Croix will keep your hands full. These boats sit low to the water and have a tendency to want to put their nose in the water. if you can afford it, you would be better served with one of the larger offerings from MC (or whichever mfg.). That being said, getting into a Prostar can be done much cheaper than a Maristar. If you haven't driven a DD ski boat, I would encourage you to take one for a drive to get a feel for what you are getting yourself into. That Supra would meet your needs.

rholmes
06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
I had the original version of that boat, the Supra Bowrider. It had a 440 Chrsyler motor in it and sucked fuel like a hoover sucks dirt. It did ride well and kept everyone dry because of its high sides and steep bow. But, we did have stringer problems and the floor also had to be redone. What is your time frame of ownership? If you are going to keep it longer than 5 years, then don't bother with it. Get one with fiberglass stringers; you don't want that hassle later down the line.

Z71_Silvy
06-28-2011, 11:23 AM
But for your needs, I donít really get it... You boat on a large public river meaning a lot of rollers, why an inboard? Inboards suck on rough waters... You donít ski, so the wake wont matter, and you want a V-hull... You should be looking at a v-drive maristar or some other wakeboarding boat.

Ha! Trust me, that's not the first time I've heard that!

MC

Hey, none taken. It ain't my boat!!

Driving a boat the size of a Prostar on the St. Croix will keep your hands full. These boats sit low to the water and have a tendency to want to put their nose in the water. if you can afford it, you would be better served with one of the larger offerings from MC (or whichever mfg.). That being said, getting into a Prostar can be done much cheaper than a Maristar. If you haven't driven a DD ski boat, I would encourage you to take one for a drive to get a feel for what you are getting yourself into. That Supra would meet your needs.

All great advice.

To be honest, I do have slight concerns about the 'lowness' of these types of boats...but that is part of the attraction. Talk about a double-edged sword.

Z71_Silvy
06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
I had the original version of that boat, the Supra Bowrider. It had a 440 Chrsyler motor in it and sucked fuel like a hoover sucks dirt. It did ride well and kept everyone dry because of its high sides and steep bow. But, we did have stringer problems and the floor also had to be redone. What is your time frame of ownership? If you are going to keep it longer than 5 years, then don't bother with it. Get one with fiberglass stringers; you don't want that hassle later down the line.

Yes, I would like to have it longer than 5 years.

You're right...I should avoid the wood like the plague. It better to spend a tad more now than to find a 'good deal' and have to do a stringer job down the road.

jdl xstar
06-28-2011, 11:51 AM
I know someone with the Mariah version of that boat and they slalom behind it, I donít think I would want to.

MC

I'll just chime in to say that inboards are also appealing to people who don't ski. There is something about a direct drive that people desire more than in outboard, I/O, or Vdrive. Large bodies of water aren't always rough and depending on wind direction, you will always have at least one shoreline that has adequate water.

My point is that I can relate to the OP desire for a direct drive inboard even if he isn't using it for the exact purpose for which it was built. How many Hummer owners have actually gone off roading?

jamisonsbrodie
06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
I would love to sell you my boat, but after reading your posts, I don't think you would be happy with it on the St Croix. It is like a low slung sports car, and does not like waves. It is a great boat for skiing, rec. boarding on MN lakes, but if there are 2 places I wouldn't take it, one is the St. Croix ( at least not on the weekends) or Minnetonka. The 190 has a flat bottom and doesn't take yacht waves very well. You would have trouble finding a nicer 1990 PS, but for your purposes I am not sure that you would be happy with it.

bobx1
06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
.........1. SOUNDS GOOD......

I am tending to agree with what some others have posted in that you may not "fit" the inboard market based on where and how you will use the boat. I know I will get bit*h-slapped for this but:

http://bajaboatsforsale.com/premiumclassifieds00779.html

It won't hurt to take a look at Cobalt or Sea-Ray either.

aquaman
06-28-2011, 12:02 PM
It sounds to me like the waters you want to run on are going to be pretty rough for an inboard boat ? Maybe you should consider a quality I/O ? Much better in rough water and can sound good too?

or

Change where you boat......and get an inboard.

Most inboards do not perform well and are uncomfortable in choppy waters. :(

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Boating on the St. Croix is nothing like being on Minnetonka. River traffic tends to have a direction whereas big lake traffic is pretty much willy nilly. I would have no qualms about taking my '77 on the Croix on a weekday without a big South wind to bring up the chop. I would also stay on my toes as to the conditions as well as boat traffic.

jamisonsbrodie
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
It sounds to me like the waters you want to run on are going to be pretty rough for an inboard boat ? Maybe you should consider a quality I/O ? Much better in rough water and can sound good too?

or

I think most inboards would suit you fine, just not a PS 190. I personally wouldn't recommend an I/O to anyone except an ocean goer!

sully
06-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Not too sure about the boat, but my dealings with VMS in the past have been very good. They did some work on an I/O that I had prior to my '77 and was very happy with what they did and charged.

Along with everyone else, I will ask you what you plan to do with whatever boat you get and where you want to boat. If you want to spend your time on Minnetonka without being concerned with water conditions, the Supra may well be a good boat for you. If you like the smaller water and are more into skiing, then the Prostar or similar would be a better choice.

Good luck on you choice and keep us posted.

I would concur with Mr. Mastercraft, Valley Motor Sports is a top notch outfit!

Z71_Silvy
06-28-2011, 07:33 PM
I'll just chime in to say that inboards are also appealing to people who don't ski. There is something about a direct drive that people desire more than in outboard, I/O, or Vdrive. Large bodies of water aren't always rough and depending on wind direction, you will always have at least one shoreline that has adequate water.

My point is that I can relate to the OP desire for a direct drive inboard even if he isn't using it for the exact purpose for which it was built. How many Hummer owners have actually gone off roading?

Ah ha! You're as nuts as I am!!!!;)

I would love to sell you my boat, but after reading your posts, I don't think you would be happy with it on the St Croix. It is like a low slung sports car, and does not like waves. It is a great boat for skiing, rec. boarding on MN lakes, but if there are 2 places I wouldn't take it, one is the St. Croix ( at least not on the weekends) or Minnetonka. The 190 has a flat bottom and doesn't take yacht waves very well. You would have trouble finding a nicer 1990 PS, but for your purposes I am not sure that you would be happy with it.

The St. Croix isn't that bad. You would have a hard time convincing me that a MC PS 190 is any worse on the river than, say, a Crestliner 17' fish and ski or a 17' Bayliner. I do NOT boat on the weekends. For me, it's much nicer to go out on the week days and then you're lucky if you see a dozen boats out.

I am tending to agree with what some others have posted in that you may not "fit" the inboard market based on where and how you will use the boat. I know I will get bit*h-slapped for this but:

http://bajaboatsforsale.com/premiumclassifieds00779.html

It won't hurt to take a look at Cobalt or Sea-Ray either.

I love Sea Ray boats...but Bajas do nothing for me. I have no attraction to them at all. Sea Rays are a tad pricy...but I wouldn't be opposed to a nice 21' Sea Ray with the 5.0.

or

The St. Croix isn't that bad...as long as you head out during the week.

Boating on the St. Croix is nothing like being on Minnetonka. River traffic tends to have a direction whereas big lake traffic is pretty much willy nilly. I would have no qualms about taking my '77 on the Croix on a weekday without a big South wind to bring up the chop. I would also stay on my toes as to the conditions as well as boat traffic.

Fully agree. It's not like I have an ocean liner right now...and my buddy goes out in a 16' AlumaCraft fishing boat...on the weekend.

This is what I have now. It's basic and not all that high off the water...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/P71_CrownVic/Cottage/IMG_1943.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/P71_CrownVic/Cottage/IMG_1936.jpg

sully
06-28-2011, 07:42 PM
I run our prostar 214 on the St. Croix on weekends all the time. We go out early to ski and wakeboard, find a beach to hangout at. Then after 5:00 everyone goes home and you can ski again. What I have found with the St. Croix is if you are in a smaller boat learn to hug the shore line. You are out of the wind a little more and you only get the bigger waves from one side.

Z71_Silvy
06-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I run our prostar 214 on the St. Croix on weekends all the time. We go out early to ski and wakeboard, find a beach to hangout at. Then after 5:00 everyone goes home and you can ski again. What I have found with the St. Croix is if you are in a smaller boat learn to hug the shore line. You are out of the wind a little more and you only get the bigger waves from one side.

Exactly...so with that:

JAMISONSBRODY...I'm still interested in your boat!!!!! :D:D

jamisonsbrodie
06-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Exactly...so with that:

JAMISONSBRODY...I'm still interested in your boat!!!!! :D:D

OK

email me your # and I'll give you a call.

jamisonsbrodie@yahoo.com

It is at our cabin in NW MN and I will be there all next week, so I can send you detailed pics if you like.

GT500 MC
06-29-2011, 11:13 AM
OK

It is at our cabin in NW MN and I will be there all next week, so I can send you detailed pics if you like.

jamisonbrodie- Where do you guys boat in NW MN? just curious...we go to a small lake (Blanche Lake) by Ottertail for a couple weeks every summer. Absolute heaven...

jamisonsbrodie
06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
jamisonbrodie- Where do you guys boat in NW MN? just curious...we go to a small lake (Blanche Lake) by Ottertail for a couple weeks every summer. Absolute heaven...

I have heard of Blanche. My in-laws are on Big McDonald near Dent/Perham. I grew up in Detroit Lakes on Lake Melissa, and we usually split time between the 2.

GT500 MC
06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I have heard of Blanche. My in-laws are on Big McDonald near Dent/Perham. I grew up in Detroit Lakes on Lake Melissa, and we usually split time between the 2.

Beautiful area, we're about 25mins south of Perham. Enjoy your vacation, hopefully the weather is good to you.

Z71_Silvy
06-29-2011, 06:46 PM
OK

email me your # and I'll give you a call.

jamisonsbrodie@yahoo.com

Ok...I'll do that tomorrow.

I will be gone (at the cabin in Northern Wisconsin) from the 3rd through the 15th. Then the selling (of what I have) and the buying (of what I want) begins!