PDA

View Full Version : Is this prop safe to run?

cal2vin
06-27-2011, 07:13 PM
I was just inspecting my boat today (2008 x-2) and noticed each blade was a bit bent in all the same places. I attached some pictures. Is this safe for my motor and everything to run in the current condition? also I notices a spot on the prop shaft where it comes out of the holder or whatever that is is slightly pulled out. Maybe just normal shifting. I have a picture attached of this as well. I'm scared that whatever I hit may have pulled my prop shaft out slightly.

Thanks

1redTA
06-27-2011, 08:01 PM
I'd get it fixed, it's relatively cheap and better than vibrating your driveline

oumiller28
06-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I agree with the red1... a stitch in time saves dimes!!!

03geetee
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Get it fixed and then at night you can spend more time dreaming of jugz instead of your bent prop.

JTR

MIskier
06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Get it fixed as quickly as you can, that is going to cause all sorts of vibration if you try running with it.

oumiller28
06-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Get it fixed and then at night you can spend more time dreaming of jugz instead of your bent prop.

JTR

The only thing worse than dreaming of a bent prop is having a bent prop!!!

Jeff d
06-27-2011, 10:52 PM
The space between the strut and prop looks normal.

CantRepeat
06-27-2011, 11:36 PM
I think that will polish out.

j/k, yeah get it fixed.

cal2vin
06-27-2011, 11:38 PM
In all reality, this weekend is 4th of July and I was planning on going out on sunday and monday, would running my boat on this prop for just this weekend be detrimental to the health of my motor?

oumiller28
06-28-2011, 12:00 AM
In all reality, this weekend is 4th of July and I was planning on going out on sunday and monday, would running my boat on this prop for just this weekend be detrimental to the health of my motor?

Think of it as a perfect time to upgrade your prop... it is not that hard to do and there are threads about what prop is an upgrade for the kind of boating that you do. Just look.

I would get a new prop and have it on by tomorrow... then get that one fixed/balanced (if it can be fixed) and keep as a back up.

saberworks
06-28-2011, 12:01 AM
I would never knowingly run a bent prop. Vibrations are really bad for your engine, transmission and v-drive. Worst case go buy a new prop and put it on (takes <10 minutes). Then get that one repaired and you have a spare (so you never have to worry about this again).

Oh, and around here (Seattle) I've had prop repairs done overnight. I paid ~150 I believe. Call around, maybe someone can fix it before the weekend.

FrankSchwab
06-28-2011, 12:07 AM
You're good to go.
You've got a relatively minor ding(s) there. The prop may cause a noticeable vibration when you run it, but it's not going to cause any damage. Treat it as a winter project - have fun this summer, and decide how to handle the prop once you winterize (assuming you do). If you're not sure, hang around the launch ramp and look at people's props - I'm guessing that 25% or more of them look similar or worse.

You've got a couple of options - send it to a local shop for $80 and get variable results, send it to OJ for $180 and get factory results, or buy a new one for $400 and keep this one around as a spare.

And, I agree with Jeff - the white bushing in your strut looks normal.

/frank

Bouyhead
06-28-2011, 06:07 AM
I would never knowingly run a bent prop. Vibrations are really bad for your engine, transmission and v-drive. Worst case go buy a new prop and put it on (takes <10 minutes). Then get that one repaired and you have a spare (so you never have to worry about this again).

Oh, and around here (Seattle) I've had prop repairs done overnight. I paid ~150 I believe. Call around, maybe someone can fix it before the weekend.

Good advice. The key to driveline longevity besides proper maintenance is keeping it silky smooth.

EJ OJPROP
06-28-2011, 06:30 AM
A typical repair charge from us is $80.00 to $150.00. Most fall around the $100.00 mark. We have been offering a free repair, if the prop can be repaired, with the purchase of a new prop.

aquaman
06-28-2011, 07:33 AM
Buy a new prop and use that one as a spare. The OJ deal sounds great, buy new and get a free repair. :)

MIskier
06-28-2011, 08:55 AM
You're good to go.
You've got a relatively minor ding(s) there. The prop may cause a noticeable vibration when you run it, but it's not going to cause any damage. Treat it as a winter project - have fun this summer, and decide how to handle the prop once you winterize (assuming you do). If you're not sure, hang around the launch ramp and look at people's props - I'm guessing that 25% or more of them look similar or worse.

You've got a couple of options - send it to a local shop for $80 and get variable results, send it to OJ for $180 and get factory results, or buy a new one for $400 and keep this one around as a spare.

And, I agree with Jeff - the white bushing in your strut looks normal.

/frank

Look at the pics from the side, that is not a minor ding.

TayMC197
06-28-2011, 09:58 AM

JTR

I know how it goes being up late thinking about boat problems... if I only put that much in a relationship I would probably be happily married..

aquaman
06-28-2011, 10:21 AM
I know how it goes being up late thinking about boat problems... if I only put that much in a relationship I would probably be happily married..

There are some similarities between boats and women.

Both can be beautiful and make you spend a whole lot of $ to get them running and looking good.

Once running, the maintenance on both can be brutal, in a fun way? :rolleyes:

94PS190
06-28-2011, 11:09 AM
How bad is the vibration? It needs to be fixed, but let common sense be your guide. Lots of vibration, get fixed before you use the boat again. If it feels OK, get it fixed after your weekend fun. With next day shipping, you could have it back for the weekend.

eurosysytem0
06-28-2011, 11:16 AM
All of the comments made are valid. However, if you have a problem getting a new prop, take it off the boat, warm up the damaged blade area on a gas BBQ and then place the edge on a hard surface and gently tap it back into line (use your eyes to sight it up)with a hammer. It wont be perfect but it can be a hell of a lot better. Ive done it loads of times with damaged props down at our lake. Some have never subsequently been replaced because there is no vibration or loss of power.

kwilkinson
06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Not to thread jack but anybody know where to get a good cheap prop puller kit?

cal2vin
06-28-2011, 01:28 PM
It hasn't caused any noticeable vibration or power loss. I have actually had oj props repair this same prop once before if that were to make any difference. I say it hasn't caused power loss but Im not sure how long it has been there (I know I should inspect more regularly). Top speed is about 39.5 on smooth water with only 2 passengers. Is this normal for a stock prop on a 2008 x-2. I think I saw the size of the prop was 14.25 x 14.5.

83starsstripes
06-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Don't personally no for sure but i read on another thread I believe they were gettin 47 out of them but one guy Also got 39 mph and it turns out he Had the same prop u have if I remember right ..ppl with 47 Had a different size I think ...you will have to look into it or see what someone else says...

willyt
06-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Don't personally no for sure but i read on another thread I believe they were gettin 47 out of them but one guy Also got 39 mph and it turns out he Had the same prop u have if I remember right ..ppl with 47 Had a different size I think ...you will have to look into it or see what someone else says...

someone has to calibrate their speedo, no way they're getting 47 out of a 06+ X2. No way.