PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Charlie

Stritt
08-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Wow, this was my first experience with a full blown hurricane. I was traveling on business and quickly got back home after hearing it was coming inland towards Orlando. My wife was top rate and got the boat out of the lake and to the driveway before I got home. She kept telling me should could do it and she did a first rate job! Here in Florida Ski-Safe has a triple deductible for named storms. Cheapest deduct that I could get was $1k, that means it goes to $3k...ouch! Needless to say the boat wa tucked in safe and sound Friday am. Around 3pm the first wave came in, then calm. The news was showing DOT camera's of I-4 and around 2pm the roads were empty. Talk about an oddity.

Around 8-9pm all HELL broke loose!! We have a 3 1/2 yr old son and he did fantastic and never "freaked out". Winds were unbelievable!! I took some pics and will post them. Power outage everywhere, and even as of today people are still without power. I flew out of OIA a couple days later and soon saw first hand the damage that Charlie caused! We were lucky and substained no damage. Others were not as fortunate. With Hurricane deductibles in Florida from 2-5% of insured value, there are going to be many families suffering through financial difficulties. Think about a $200k house that the owners are going to have a $4-10k deductible. Keep all of those affected by Charlie in your thoughts. They need it.

Here are 4 pics from the storm.

The 1st pic is from the first wave around 3pm.

Stritt
08-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Picture taken around 10pm, once the eye of the storm passed Orlando.
This is a picture of the lake. It looked like the ocean. Good thing that our toy was safe and sound in the garage! The lake stayed this way from about 8-11pm.

Stritt
08-25-2004, 11:56 PM
The next morning. We were lucky!! After a couple hours of clean up and a big pile of limbs, we were done. Others were not as fortunate.

Stritt
08-25-2004, 11:58 PM
The calm after the storm.

stevo137
08-25-2004, 11:59 PM
35th, We are glad to hear you and yours are safe! Some of us have expressed our thoughts in an off topic thread called "Hurricane"
We hope for a speedy recovery.

Stritt
08-26-2004, 12:02 AM
The toy is back in the water safe and sound.

tall_ andy
08-26-2004, 12:17 AM
Where in Orlando are you? I grew up just outside orlando in Longwood. My parents are now retired in Apopka, when I go to visit I go nuts with all the water and no boat to ski behind

Stritt
08-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Located on Bear Lake. Just south of 436 around Wekiva. Let me know if you need a pull when you're down.

tall_ andy
08-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Know the area well. I grew up in Sweetwater. Glad to hear you made it through the storm ok. I will let you know for sure when I'm headed down for a visit
Thanks

T Scott
08-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Check out these close to 200 photos of the Hurricane Damage to Central Florida. These are posted on the Orlando Sentinel Website

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/sfl-charley-after,0,4587735.photogallery?coll=orl-home-specialbreaking

35th- Glad to know you and your family weathered the storm OK. I am also in Orlando (Metrowest) and live on Lake Hiawassee. I wasn't able to get my boat out of the water so it sat on the lift throughout the entire storm. No problems...lucklily. We had my neighbors oak tree blow over and land on our oak tree essentially destroying both,my gazebo on my dock was blown away, and several pool screens blown out. Minor damage compared to others......

east tx skier
08-26-2004, 11:21 AM
Glad you guys are okay.

ChrisG
08-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Good to hear that you and the family made it through ok. What pissed me off were the a-holes that took advantage of people in desperate need. Charging an arm and a leg for bottled water is just one example. I also heard of someone being charged $10,000 to remove a tree that had fallen on his house. Unbelievable!! Instead of helping out in times like this, some people will do anything to make a buck. :mad:

NeilM
08-26-2004, 12:51 PM
'also glad you guys are alright...

You're right, Chris. While a disaster will bring out the best in most people, it certainly will bring out the worst in a few...

mastercraft1995
08-26-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm glad to heard your ok. :banana: Hurricanes suck. :mad: I went through 3 of them while stationed in Florida Andrew, Erin and one that I can't remember the name of. They are something not to take lightly that is for sure.

east tx skier
08-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Agreed, being from Houston, I can remember riding out at least one --- Alicia. Apart from a tree falling on our house, we got pretty lucky. Thanks to whomever built that house by the way, as the tree (a couple of feet in diameter) stopped in the attic.

captkidd
08-26-2004, 04:44 PM
I don't want to be one of those, "well, you think that was something..." people, but living here in NC we've had our share of hurricanes. Fortunately we live far enough inland that at least some of the punch is lost before they get here (except for Hugo and a few others).

On the Thursday before we got married on Saturday (Sept. 1996), Hurricane Fran came through NC and dumped a bunch of wind and rain on us. Practically the whole area lost power, and I had about 3 small pine trees land on top of the luxurious mobile home that I was living in at the time, one punching a hole through the ceiling and another taking out the back door. After the second or third one hit I finally did what any real man would do and abandoned ship. I spent the night with some friends and went back the next day to repair as much of the damage as possible.

Our church that we were getting married in had no power when we began the rehearsal, so we used candles, lanterns, etc., for light. Finally at the end of the rehearsal, the power came back on, so that was one less thing to worry about. Unfortunately the bed & breakfast that we had rented for the rehearsal dinner and reception still had no power, so we had an unplanned candlelight dinner. My fiancee was panicking because the caterer had no power, her family's house had no power, and the B&B would have no power/water (restrooms) for the reception. Amazingly all three got their power back on Saturday in time for the wedding, and everything went very smoothly (although the ground outside the B&B was pretty muddy).

All that said, our problems were nothing compared to what the folks to the east of us experienced, and to what those folks hit by Charley are experiencing. Our prayers are definitely with them.

captkidd
08-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Sorry 35th, didn't mean to forget to mention that I'm certainly thankful that you and my, I mean your boat are o.k. ;)

Stritt
08-26-2004, 08:18 PM
It is amazing some of the stories you hear about roofers and tree removal. I think Florida has a hotline setup for gouging. Hopefully, this will help the many who have already suffered, not to suffer even more.

Capt. Kidd....your (my)boat is still o.k.

Tom, hope everything works out for you with the damage.