PDA

View Full Version : Changing Transmission Fluid

RCS
06-27-2011, 04:48 PM
I have a 2005 Prostar 205V with 450 hours and need to change the transmission fluid. I know it uses 10W-40, which needs to be siphoned or sucked out of the transmission for removal. I tried using a siphon pump but could not create enough suction to remove any of the fluid. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?

Also, I have noticed that it has become increasingly difficult to put the boat in gear (both forward and reverse). I have greased the throttle cable and made sure there are no kinks but it didn't help. Once the boat is in gear the throttle is smooth but it's that initial engaging of the throttle that is really stiff. Will this be helped by changing the transmission fluid? Any other ideas?

Thanks

dietdewboy
06-29-2011, 07:03 AM
10-40 in the transmission? Are you sure? I've never head of that before but my boat is 9 years older than yours. I use a Griots Garage fluid extractor on mine, works great!

RCS
06-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Yes, I'm sure. I thought it was odd at first but all of the MC V-Drives use 10W40 in their trannies.

BriEOD
06-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Yes, 10W-40 sounds right. My best suggestion is to pick up a suction device (i.e. looks like a huge syringe) at your local auto parts store (i.e NAPA). If the hose isn't long enough, you should be able to replace it with some from your local hardware store. Stick it was down into the bottom of the transmission and start extracting the old stuff. I take an old milk jug and put the old stuff in that. When I'm done, I mark the outside of the jug with a Sharpie to indicate how much I took out. Then you can either pour the old stuff into a different container (oil pan), or use a second milk jug to fill with new transmission fluid to ensure you put back what you took out. I'm always leery of putting in too much.

RCS
06-29-2011, 07:51 AM
I was just doing some research online about extractors when you posted. Sounds like I need to visit Autozone today. Do you know if changing the transmission fluid will help with the stiffness of putting the boat into gear?

ahhudgins
06-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes, I'm sure. I thought it was odd at first but all of the MC V-Drives use 10W40 in their trannies.

My 95 V-Drive uses 10W-40 in the V-Drive (gear box) but uses transmission fluid in the actual transmission. This subject was brought up before, not ALL transmission use motor oil. Depends on the model year.

BG1772
06-29-2011, 08:54 AM
MC put out a service bulliten somewhere in the early 2000s to switch from ATF to Oil in the transmissions. I believe that the reason was to quiet down the shifting into gear.

east tx skier
06-29-2011, 09:47 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that service bulletin was applicable to the V-Drives.

BG1772
06-29-2011, 09:49 AM
I believe you ar correct, but one of my friends has a 2002 197 that the dealer put oil in the tranny.

ahhudgins
06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that service bulletin only applied to the Hurth transmission that has the gear reduction built into the transmission? My 95 has a seperate gear box for the V-drive and gear reduction. I didn't think that you could take the ATF out of "ALL" transmissions and use motor oil in it's place.