PDA

View Full Version : Rust in the manifold!

prostar190jap
06-27-2011, 03:51 PM
I have 1992 prostar 190 and I usually take it in for service and carb rebuilt. But this time I pulled the carb myself and to my disliking, i found rust all the way down into the manifold. I would assume that the rust has made its way into the cylinders and on the the pistons.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this issue?

Ill post some pictures later today.

prostar190jap
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Heres a link to some pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.745722229710.2221303.19901924&l=6ddd2b36fb

91.Maristar.240
06-27-2011, 04:56 PM
I have 1992 prostar 190 and I usually take it in for service and carb rebuilt. But this time I pulled the carb myself and to my disliking, i found rust all the way down into the manifold. I would assume that the rust has made its way into the cylinders and on the the pistons.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this issue?

Ill post some pictures later today.

I'd pull the manifold and see what the heads and valley looked like at the very least!

wtrskr
06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
I had water collect in one of my cylinders that I eventually found was caused by a blown head gasket. I was told by a machine shop that if the piston and valve surfaces did form a little rust on them, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Have you determined where the moisture is coming from? I'll defer to those with more experience, but pulling the manifold and heads is quite a bit of work so I'd make sure it is worthwhile before doing it. Can you find any evidence of water on your spark plugs?

91.Maristar.240
06-27-2011, 08:29 PM
I had water collect in one of my cylinders that I eventually found was caused by a blown head gasket. I was told by a machine shop that if the piston and valve surfaces did form a little rust on them, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Have you determined where the moisture is coming from? I'll defer to those with more experience, but pulling the manifold and heads is quite a bit of work so I'd make sure it is worthwhile before doing it. Can you find any evidence of water on your spark plugs?

yeah don't recommend pulling the heads just the manifold and valve cover gaskets first. pulling the manifold is a simple task putting it back on isn't much more difficult.

Definitely pull all the plugs and check for rust.

prostar190jap
06-28-2011, 12:55 AM
I'm not sure where the moisture is coming from but I think it might have been from when it was stored. It's only been out once since last summer, so I would assume its from the rainy season.

That's a great idea, I'll pull the plugs tomorrow after I drop off the carb. Come to find out the secondaries on the carb are corroded shut and that's what started this whole thing.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you know what I find out.