PDA

View Full Version : Boat died this past weekend

kwilkinson
06-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Hey all,
HAD a great birthday weekend planned for this past weekend. Plan was to go up to Horsetooth Res. and do some boat-in camping. Had a guys only night on Fri and then the ladies were coming up on Sat to join us. Well it turns out the MC had a different plan....
Fri afternoon got on the water, fired right up, made a couple of trips back and forth to the campsite and the doc. Ran like a champ. Final trip back with gear and getting ready to do a surf session. Had the boat sitting in Neutral idling at 1500 RPM filling the KGB and Port side tanks and all of a sudden it just up and dies.
Turns over all day long but just won't fire up...Ended up towing it back to the dock loading her up and letting it sit for the weekend to think about what she did. Head down, super pissed Of all weekends really...
Lucky enough had a buddy lend me his boat for the weekend (MB F23 Tomcat) All in all still had a good weekend but had to do it without MY boat. Could not have nearly as much fun watching and taking care of somebody else's boat...

So back to my boat, after tinkering with it for about an hour we came to the conclusion that it is a fuel pump or fuel filter issue? Any ideas? I heard that MC's around 200 hrs are known to have some fuel pump issues? Any truth to that? I have 171 hrs so def in that ballpark. Any rough ideas on what this will be to fix? I am assuming 3 to 4 bills with parts and labor?

Thanks
Kyle

Huskie05
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey all,
HAD a great birthday weekend planned for this past weekend. Plan was to go up to Horsetooth Res. and do some boat-in camping. Had a guys only night on Fri and then the ladies were coming up on Sat to join us. Well it turns out the MC had a different plan....
Fri afternoon got on the water, fired right up, made a couple of trips back and forth to the campsite and the doc. Ran like a champ. Final trip back with gear and getting ready to do a surf session. Had the boat sitting in Neutral idling at 1500 RPM filling the KGB and Port side tanks and all of a sudden it just up and dies.
Turns over all day long but just won't fire up...Ended up towing it back to the dock loading her up and letting it sit for the weekend to think about what she did. Head down, super pissed Of all weekends really...
Lucky enough had a buddy lend me his boat for the weekend (MB F23 Tomcat) All in all still had a good weekend but had to do it without MY boat. Could not have nearly as much fun watching and taking care of somebody else's boat...

So back to my boat, after tinkering with it for about an hour we came to the conclusion that it is a fuel pump or fuel filter issue? Any ideas? I heard that MC's around 200 hrs are known to have some fuel pump issues? Any truth to that? I have 171 hrs so def in that ballpark. Any rough ideas on what this will be to fix? I am assuming 3 to 4 bills with parts and labor?

Thanks
Kyle

sorry to hear that, my money is on the fuel pump. I carry an extra with tools for that very day to happen for me. good luck

TayMC197
06-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Its very possible that it could be the fuel pump.. It could be a few other things as well. You can check the pressure on the fuel pump to determine if its the problem fairly easily. If its good, I'd look into the electronics... Don't know the set up on that motor but some have fuses, coils, etc. that could go out and cuase it not to start... check to see if the plugs are firing.. thats a simple test for that.

TayMC197
06-27-2011, 02:49 PM
I had this happend 2 months back on an 04 X-Star.. it was the infamous fuel pump issue... week later waiting on parts and it was back in the water.

BriEOD
06-27-2011, 03:01 PM
These crazy fuel pumps are why I do my best to ensure my boat is always full of gas. I never, ever let it get below half a tank. Once the float hits the bottom part of the tank and starts picking up crud, bye-bye fuel pump.

GT500 MC
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
kwilkinson - were you out Sat. afternoon? Was the Tomcat a blue/white color scheme? We were out for most of the day Sat. on H/T. Got a bit choppy late though.

kwilkinson
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM
kwilkinson - were you out Sat. afternoon? Was the Tomcat a blue/white color scheme? We were out for most of the day Sat. on H/T. Got a bit choppy late though.

Yes we were out majority of the day on Sat mostly towards the north end. The Tomcat is Grey/Black/Red. It was pretty choppy, it got nice around 6:30 - 7 o'clock that night.

GT500 MC
06-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Yes we were out majority of the day on Sat mostly towards the north end. The Tomcat is Grey/Black/Red. It was pretty choppy, it got nice around 6:30 - 7 o'clock that night.

Hopefully you figure out the issue with your boat. Summer's finally here in CO.

agarabaghi
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
200 hours? hmmm makes me wonder if my fuel pump is the original at 1,000 hours haha

kwilkinson
06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Crud is definitely a possibility. The time out before this we ran it pretty low on fuel, did not run it out but I bet it was pretty close. I also fueled it up on the other side of the boat than I typically do, not sure if there could have been some old gunk in that line...

I KNOW summer is finally here. We are going to have some consecutive days in the 90's. Need to get this fixed ASAP

agarabaghi
06-27-2011, 04:05 PM
can you hear the fuel pump engage?

kwilkinson
06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
No don't think that I do, Don't know what I am listening for really though either... Learning more and more as I go.

agarabaghi
06-27-2011, 04:21 PM
remove the back seat cushion and you should see it (im thinking you have an x1) it will be a BIG circle on the fuel tank. When u click the key to the right 1 it will engage (kind of like a hissing noise). Make sure your lanyard / kill switch is in because that kills the fuel pump also...

kwilkinson
06-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Ok, can do but given that description pretty sure it is not... Yes the kill switch lanyard is in place and depressing the center button. That was the first thing I checked.

Sorry should have said what boat and engine I have.

06 X-15, MCX 350 hp

Thanks for the help!!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Ok, can do but given that description pretty sure it is not... Yes the kill switch lanyard is in place and depressing the center button. That was the first thing I checked.

Sorry should have said what boat and engine I have.

06 X-15, MCX 350 hp

Thanks for the help!!

The fuel pump will run for a couple seconds when you first turn the key on, just like your car or truck.

kskonn
06-27-2011, 06:06 PM
sounds like the fuel pump or it could also be a bad kill switch, I have seen those go out. I believe they use two different kill switches and one has a tendancy to go out.

ricford
06-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Just a thought, but aren't you always running on the bottom part of the tank? Where do you think the fuel pick up is? Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea to keep it full to stop condensation, but the fuel is picked up from the bottom of the tank.

TNPIG
06-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Its very possible that it could be the fuel pump.. It could be a few other things as well. You can check the pressure on the fuel pump to determine if its the problem fairly easily. If its good, I'd look into the electronics... Don't know the set up on that motor but some have fuses, coils, etc. that could go out and cuase it not to start... check to see if the plugs are firing.. thats a simple test for that.

How do you check the pressure on the fuel pump and how do you check to see if the plugs are firing? Sorry, still learning. This info. may come in handy for me in the future. Thanks

Kyle
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
What about the saftey lanyard??? or It may just be a relay???

kwilkinson
06-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey all,
After spending some time on here today (when I should be working) I have some things to check tonight.

1: Fuel pump running for a few sec with key in ON position
2: Check fuel pressure on Schrader valve. I did check this on the water and fuel does come out, just don't know how much pressure it is? No gauge on me... Should be 35-40 psi?
3: Kill Switch - did take it off and hold with my finger but could need to be depressed more. May try bypassing it...
4: Fuel Pump relay switch Not sure which one(s)these are? There are 3 on each side? Anybody know which ones on which side?
5: Crank position Sensor...? not sure what this even does.. have not ever heard of it.

I will let you know what I find

-Kyle

kwilkinson
06-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Hey all,
After spending some time on here today (when I should be working) I have some things to check tonight.

1: Fuel pump running for a few sec with key in ON position
2: Check fuel pressure on Schrader valve. I did check this on the water and fuel does come out, just don't know how much pressure it is? No gauge on me... Should be 35-40 psi?
3: Kill Switch - did take it off and hold with my finger but could need to be depressed more. May try bypassing it...
4: Fuel Pump relay switch Not sure which one(s)these are? There are 3 on each side? Anybody know which ones on which side?
5: Crank position Sensor...? not sure what this even does.. have not ever heard of it.

I will let you know what I find

-Kyle

Good morning
1: Fuel pump does run for a couple of seconds when turn on key
2: Fuel squirts out when press in Schrader valve. Did not have time to run and get a fuel pressure gauge though...
3: Unscrewed kill switch. Was expecting little wire plugs that I could just disconnect and not have to cut them to jump them together. Did not want to cut them for no reason if the kill switch isn't the issue.
4: Correct me if I am wrong but if the Fuel pump is running when I turn it on then does that mean that the Fuel Pump Relay is working properly? or not necessarily?
5:Did not pull spark plugs, but did pull wires off the distributor and did see a spark.
6: Forgot to mention fuel filter was just replace ~20 hrs ago when summerized.

What does all of this mean? My fuel pump is not the issue? Should I go ahead and cut the kill switch wires and twist them together?

Thanks for the help!!

-Kyle

kskonn
06-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I would try to bypass the kill switch to see if that is the problem. does not take a lot of time to try and will at worst eliminate that as a possible problem.

emnesto
06-28-2011, 02:48 PM
Just went through this a couple of weks ago. If you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds after key turn, that should eliminate the fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuse from being the issue.

agarabaghi
06-28-2011, 03:19 PM
also the fuel pump will not run if the kill switch is not pressed in. so to me the kill swithc is working.

kwilkinson
06-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh really... the kill switch, if not connected, kills the fuel and not the spark? Or both?

agarabaghi
06-28-2011, 05:14 PM
not sure about the spark. But i know my fuel pump would not make a noise when i had the kill switch pulled out.

kwilkinson
06-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Ok thanks I will check that tonight as well.

agarabaghi
06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
so what is it doing when u turn the key?

kwilkinson
06-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Just cranks strong but does not start

agarabaghi
06-28-2011, 05:33 PM
you have gas? ;)

kwilkinson
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
ha ha yup extra full put in $160 because I did not want to put in expensive marina gas

deminimis
06-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm still going with fuel pump. Pressure test that bad boy!!

agarabaghi
06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
well at this point, pressure test and check plugs... or at least 1 plug lol

kwilkinson
07-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Well... it was a bad relay and the fuel pump. Hope to be back on the water by mid next week.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions and help

-K

deminimis
07-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Good News! :toast:

meotoole
07-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Kyle-
I started reading your post and thought I recognized the MB desrciption and your boat (snake told me about it). Bummer man. Glad you got things figured out. Welcome to the MC troubleshooting world!

Biff

ampcampion
07-08-2011, 02:50 PM
my X-9 2003, 231 hours just did the same thing this weekend too. got it fixed and it was the fuel pump. the filter should rarely fail unless there is bad things in your gas tank. but the fuel pump is sensative and expensive. my guess is fuel pump. Good Luck...flat water!