PDA

View Full Version : Buying '79 Stars & Stripes....

sam196370
06-27-2011, 02:17 PM
Hello - I'm new to the forum but have logged many hours in SNs and Mastercrafts so I'm familiar with the drivetrain, etc. I'm considering buying a '79 with unknown hours, new stringers/floors/interior with a MC trailer. I've been told that it runs rough and that the owner installed a new Holley carb - I thought these engines were fairly easy to tune (timing, plugs/wires, adj carb) and I'm worried that it may be running rough due to a bad head gasket or cracked exhaust manifold. I haven't heard of these overheating; ever (although I'm sure it's happened) - is overheating/blown head gasket common for this year? Anything else I should look for on the boat? I live in CT and am stopping in MI this week to see it so any advice is much appreciated.
Boat:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110701668826&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

oxberger
06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Sam, welcome to the board. The old SS's are very easy to tune. If you get it the first thing I would suggest is replacing the points distributor with ane electronic ignition. That will help a great deal. With the new carb on it and it still running rough, it could be somthing simple like bad/old gas running through the system or the fuel filters clogged. Just like any engine they can overheat, but unlike the new ones, there is not alarm or "limp mode" that it goes into. Be sure to check the exhaust hoses coming out of the manifolds and see if they are soft. If they are the boat has overheated at least once. Some other things to check are the color of the oil and transmission fluid. Make sure they are not milky in color, this would signify water getting into the fluids and could mean expensive engine and/or transmission repairs. What has been done to the interior looks good. The bilge looks dirty in the pictures. I could be wrong and that could just be the color of the fiberglass. Good luck and again welcome!

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 02:51 PM
the auction is over - did u end up buying the boat?

thatsmrmastercraft
06-27-2011, 03:35 PM
the auction is over - did u end up buying the boat?

......bump