PDA

View Full Version : Type of Gas

mseller
06-27-2011, 12:13 PM
What gas are yall running in your boats? We've been running premium without ethanol. We're using about 50 gallons a weekend and I'm considering switching to regular gasoline because it's 50 cents cheaper and would save in the long run(or will it?) Since I'm burning through the gas so fast, will the ethanol in regular gas really hurt anything? If I do switch to regular, should I also get stuff to treat the gas?

-V-
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
i am running regular low grade gas in mine, no problems that i see.

erkoehler
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
87 octane in my boat.

agarabaghi
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
87 / 89.

If i fill up on land, its 87 with less than 10% ethanol, if i fill up on the water its 89 without...

blakehardesty
06-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Ive been running 87 for years with no problems. If it makes you feel better my motor is old enough it says "Do Not Use Unleaded Fuel". Try to find that!!

mseller
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
ok good to hear! I've just heard horror stories on what ethanol can do to engine hoses etc. I guess that's if it sits for a while?

pmkkdx
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
I haven't found any station on land that does not have the little sticker on the pump stating "contains less than 10% ethanol" in over a month now ... I would prefer NOT to run the ethanol (merely from rumors I have heard) but haven't found a place with gas without it... :confused:

oh yeah, I typically run the highest octane available in my boat (habit more than any other reason)... but after a one day burning $126 of fuel thru it on Sat., I might change to 89 octane :rolleyes:

EWood1326
06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Wow this is Ironic post because this moring I emailed idmar about that.
I told them some of the lakes around me have 100% 87 and then 89 and 91 ethonol and I asked what they thought would be best to use 100% LOWER or Ethonol Higher here is the response.

The 87 octane is fine as long as it doesn't sit in the tank too long. Today's
fuel degrade relatively quickly and after a couple weeks your 87 octane may be
more like 85 which is not good. So if you put gas in and use it up in a short
time ... I would use alcohol-free 87 instaed of ethanol 89. If you do use the
etahnol fuel, use the Marine Grade Sta-bil every time you put gas in the boat
and you should be OK.

Larry Engelbert
Indmar Service

Thought I would share hope it helps out others

-V-
06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
thanks!!!!

bigmac
06-27-2011, 12:51 PM
I refuel my boat from a 150 gallon portable storage tank. I get it filled about every 2-4 weeks and always use premium 91 octane because of the potential octane loss if it sits too long (a couple of weeks is not an issue). As long as I'm having the gas delivered, I have them deliver non-oxygenated premium instead of ethanol, but otherwise I don't care. There's no problem running 10% ethanol in modern ski boats. I don't bother with Sta-Bil or any of that crap unless it's going to sit for more than 3 months.

wrobins1
06-27-2011, 12:51 PM
I believe the government is requiring that gasoline is blended with ethanol for road use now. The sad thing is you actually lose power, fuel economy, etc. but that having been said I have not noticed any difficulties when I have ran it in my 02 X-star.

Huskie05
06-27-2011, 12:57 PM
I have to use 91!!!!! LSA engine.

For docks that don't have 91 fuel I carry octane boost to make up for the 88 to 89 oct.

mayo93prostar
06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I use regular 87 octane with 10% ethanol in my 93 prostar and no problems.

Thrall
06-27-2011, 04:57 PM
With gas prices the way they are I use whatever the neigbors filled their cars up with last!:D

Turnandburn
06-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Other than the higher price, is there any reason to NOT use ethanol free 93 octane? I know the engines are designed to run on 87 so it is likely a complete waste of money to run higher octane. Can 93 octane do harm?

Huskie05
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Other than the higher price, is there any reason to NOT use ethanol free 93 octane? I know the engines are designed to run on 87 so it is likely a complete waste of money to run higher octane. Can 93 octane do harm?

I have heard that 93 can, but I always run as high as I can on everything, in Utah its not much of a price diff. I have never had issues with the cars, bikes, or boat. We can only get 91 here.

H20BOY
06-27-2011, 05:58 PM
With gas prices the way they are I use whatever the neigbors filled their cars up with last!:D

I don't care who you are, that's funny!!!

You don't know what octane, but it is always "hot".

Jeff d
06-27-2011, 06:13 PM
I believe the government is requiring that gasoline is blended with ethanol for road use now.

I have 5 gas stations within 1-8 miles of my house with ethanol free 87 octane so that's what I use. The EPA only mandates E10 in certain markets where they deem it necessary due to air quality:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/GFM/Files/US_Gasoline_Map.pdf

As for why most other stations have E10 when it's not required I'm not sure. I'm assuming it's cheaper due to government subsidies for ethanol.

73blue
06-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Most true marine engines(outboards, sterndrives) will not run well on ethanol, due to lower temps, high moisture content, etc. The thing is, ethyl alcohol doesn't bond with gasoline, so if it sits very long the alcohol separates from the gas. The alcohol will however bond with water, so once the alcohol separates from the gas, it collects any moisture that may be in the tank, and you are left with water in your fuel. Alcohol is also a solvent, so it will remove any gunk built up in your tank, lines, etc, which sounds like a good thing, until your pump goes out, or your injectors get clogged with debris. Finally, eventually, the alcohol will dry out seals, hoses and such. Most people on this board maintain their boats well and don't let them sit too long (having a car engine in your boat helps also), so you may not see the effects of ethanol for quite some time. That being said, its definitely not as good, as clean, or as efficient as 100% gasoline. I'm not going to argue the merits of high or low octane. I have run pretty much everything through my boat at one time or another when travelling or caught out, but if I'm at all able, its Valvtect 93 with no ethanol. It can sit for a year without breaking down, not that it ever does,

bigmac
06-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Most true marine engines(outboards, sterndrives) will not run well on ethanol, due to lower temps, high moisture content, etc. The thing is, ethyl alcohol doesn't bond with gasoline, so if it sits very long the alcohol separates from the gas. The alcohol will however bond with water, so once the alcohol separates from the gas, it collects any moisture that may be in the tank, and you are left with water in your fuel. Alcohol is also a solvent, so it will remove any gunk built up in your tank, lines, etc, which sounds like a good thing, until your pump goes out, or your injectors get clogged with debris. Finally, eventually, the alcohol will dry out seals, hoses and such. Most people on this board maintain their boats well and don't let them sit too long (having a car engine in your boat helps also), so you may not see the effects of ethanol for quite some time. That being said, its definitely not as good, as clean, or as efficient as 100% gasoline. I'm not going to argue the merits of high or low octane. I have run pretty much everything through my boat at one time or another when travelling or caught out, but if I'm at all able, its Valvtect 93 with no ethanol. It can sit for a year without breaking down, not that it ever does,

Many misimpressions given in this post. All have been covered here on TeamTalk many times before. Boats have been designed to use ethanol since the early 90's and they work just fine with that fuel.

73blue
06-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Many misimpressions given in this post. All have been covered here on TeamTalk many times before. Boats have been designed to use ethanol since the early 90's and they work just fine with that fuel.

Didn't mean to misimpress you bigmac. I run a marina and see boats constantly that have issues caused by ethanol. Normally a couple of tanks of Valvtect clear the issues up. I thought I stated that our MCs could handle it. Its still not better than straight gasoline.