PDA

View Full Version : Engine Ticking

-V-
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
ok, so my motor has less than 400 hours on it. It is a 2000, and it has a ticking noise, like it's the lifters ticking. (hard to described without voice)

The question i have is, how can i find out if it is the original engine, and what would cause this and can i fix it?

I also blow some smoke when i first start it up, it is only the second time i have used it since i dewinterized it from this past winter, so could it be that? It came from the enging compartment, not the exhaust.

Thrall
06-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Could be lifters or could be the injectors if it's a LTR.
Alot easier to hear the little sounds when your sitting right next to the engine. My LT-1 always "ticked" and it was just the injectors I could hear.
If the valaves do need a slight adjustment, the least messy way I've found is go get and old valve cover that fits and cut out the top of it jsut enough to get to the nuts on the rocker arms. It will keep all teh oil where it belongs.

-V-
06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
you can't hear it unless you open the back cover, its a 5.7, stock engine, i think.

CantRepeat
06-27-2011, 12:19 PM
Nomrally, on older engines smoke at start up but goes away or just puffs at start up is cause by valve seals. If it continues to smoke that's normally piston rings.

Like Thrall posted, my boat makes a ticking sound that comes from the injectors.

Thrall
06-27-2011, 12:20 PM
That's a bigger boat. The base engine was a TBI (throttle body injection), old school looking air cleaner and throttle body looks like a carb w/ 2 injectors in it. The LTR is a similar 5.7 chevy motor, but has port fuel injection, 1 injector per cyl.
Yes, it's just a faint ticking, and I couldn't hear it with the engine hatch closed, only open.

-V-
06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
okay, then its nothing i should worry about. I appreciate the help. also, if the temp stays around 160 and a little bit past is that ok?