PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Electrical Problems!

vandit0022
06-27-2011, 03:45 AM
So I have a dual battery setup, with Guest 1,2,Both, off switch. Today I clicked onto battery 1 and found it was dead, so I switched to both, and still barely anything. I threw on the jump pack and she fired right up.

Immediately I noticed my gauges were reading oddly. Oil pressure gauge was at max, but no alarms. The temp gauge was reading between normal reading and nothing, kept going up, then down, up then down. Still no alarms. Voltage shows lower than what I normally remember.

Later on in the day after having the engine off and stereo running, start to head back to the dock to drop off friends, and the alarm starts going off and the screen reads "BATT". I switch to just battery 2. When I do that, all the gauges go dead, alarm is half going off, but engine is still running.

Switch back to battery 1, gauges fire back up, alarm goes off, but later comes back on. I go through this several times and finally get in a spot to check out the batteries. I checked both of them, all wires are till connected. 1 - gauges sorta work, stereo works, but alarm goes off eventually. 2 - nothing at all, except that it will fire up the boat, and after turning the key off............the engine still is running and won't shut off.

I finally let it sit and wait for the traffic jam at the launch to clear and when I switched to 1, or both at this point, they give me gauges but won't fire up the engine. So I jumped with the jump pack again and this time, everything went back to normal.

What is going on? ANY ideas?

bturner2
06-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Sounds like you have a dead cell on one of the batteries and it's taking down both of them. Do you have an isolator installed? If not you may want to consider adding one to eliminate this problem.

vandit0022
06-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm honestly not sure......each battery has positives leading to a separate small box on the wall.

Photos of the setup are here http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3557&highlight=official+battery&page=20

I have no idea if those are isolators??

Thrall
06-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Well everything used to work fine, right?
Pull the batteries, charge them and have them load tested.
Like bt said, probably 1 bad battery taking them both out.
Also if you're starting out with the batteries partially charged, you cannot rely on just the alternator to recharge them fully unless you run the boat along time with using much power ie: not thumpin the stereo.
Regarding the rats nest of wires, welcome to MC! Seems they do everything else with the utmost quality then have a 3rd grader wiring up the batteries and stereos.
Check out this thread, post #140
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33556&highlight=winter&page=5
I have a couple pics of what I did to clean up the wiring. In short, 2 batteries. 2 sets of dist blocks, 1 for the stereo amps, 1 for all the rest of the elect connections that went to battery #1. Batteries only have 1 set of cables going to each of them that run straight to the dist blocks. Dedicated ground to the engine block off of each neg dist block. Blue seas isolator/combiner linking the 2 + dist blocks (batteries) for charging (not pictured).
It was some work, but everything is much cleaner, simpler and more efficient, power wise then it was before with a myriad of wires hooked directly to the batteries.

brucemac
06-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Well everything used to work fine, right?
Pull the batteries, charge them and have them load tested.
Like bt said, probably 1 bad battery taking them both out.
Also if you're starting out with the batteries partially charged, you cannot rely on just the alternator to recharge them fully unless you run the boat along time with using much power ie: not thumpin the stereo.
Regarding the rats nest of wires, welcome to MC! Seems they do everything else with the utmost quality then have a 3rd grader wiring up the batteries and stereos.
Check out this thread, post #140
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33556&highlight=winter&page=5
I have a couple pics of what I did to clean up the wiring. In short, 2 batteries. 2 sets of dist blocks, 1 for the stereo amps, 1 for all the rest of the elect connections that went to battery #1. Batteries only have 1 set of cables going to each of them that run straight to the dist blocks. Dedicated ground to the engine block off of each neg dist block. Blue seas isolator/combiner linking the 2 + dist blocks (batteries) for charging (not pictured).
It was some work, but everything is much cleaner, simpler and more efficient, power wise then it was before with a myriad of wires hooked directly to the batteries.

thrall did you move? i noticed it says Black Diamond, WA. i thought you were in AZ. welcome to WA state

willyt
06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
if your voltage is running low when the engine is running you have a bad alternator

vandit0022
06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
if your voltage is running low when the engine is running you have a bad alternator

Thanks for the info everyone. I still have no idea what the +'s are connected to on the walls.

Secondly, the voltage was back to normal after the jumpstart.

Third, I just put a battery voltage tester on the batteries, they both read 12.4 or 12.5 respectively. I'm charging them now to see what happens.

Thrall
06-28-2011, 01:42 AM
thrall did you move? i noticed it says Black Diamond, WA. i thought you were in AZ. welcome to WA state

Hahaha, yeah. Since AZ we've been in NM 3 yrs, CO 3yrs and just now moving to WA!
Thanks for the welcome.