PDA

View Full Version : I broke my ski

Kyle
06-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Skied last week and had a hard more like very hard time running -32. I always run -32. So I looked at my ski today when my cousin who's not a skier wanted to peek at my ride. I noticed a crack so I removed the rear binding and the ski is almost in two pieces. The top deck is cracked and the core is ruined. The only thing keeping the ski from folding in half is the bottom skin. There is 6" in flex in the tail. This explains my troubles. I'm so glad it didn't snap into two pieces when I was on it. It would have been a disaster. Pics will soon follow.

robin
06-27-2011, 03:35 AM
sounds like a good reason to have a party; ski burial day. tip a 40 gangsta style for the dead stick and rock on.

-V-
06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
i feel for you, I was wakeboarding on Sunday and my left foot was ripped out of my binding, literally ripping it apart. lets just say that the run didn't end well.

onejdgreen
06-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Ouch... That hurts.

jkski
06-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Which ski was it? I ask because this same thing happened to a friend last year and it was an HO Monza, which HO replaced for free. My point being, maybe the mfg of your ski will give you a new one.

Trig2275
06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I had my left binding rip out a few weeks ago as well. It was a nasty fall to say the least. I about broke my right ankle. Just an excuse to get a ski!

east tx skier
06-27-2011, 10:54 AM
What kind of ski?

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Kyle's on an HO Monza... I think he broke it while we were out either Wednesday or the previous sunday...

Kyle
06-27-2011, 12:53 PM
The ski is a monza. 67" and HO sports said that since I bought it online and not from a dealer I'm sol. That is the biggest bunch of bull s&$% I've ever herd of. 4 year warranty on the ski and you can tell by the top deck design what year it is and they will not warranty it. I have also had it since it was new. Maybe this is a sign just to say eff skiing.

I've had '99 psr, '01 cdx, '03 phantom carbon, and '05, and '08 monzas. Sold the '05.

jkski
06-27-2011, 01:16 PM
The ski is a monza. 67" and HO sports said that since I bought it online and not from a dealer I'm sol. That is the biggest bunch of bull s&$% I've ever herd of. 4 year warranty on the ski and you can tell by the top deck design what year it is and they will not warranty it. I have also had it since it was new. Maybe this is a sign just to say eff skiing.

I've had '99 psr, '01 cdx, '03 phantom carbon, and '05, and '08 monzas. Sold the '05.

Kyle,
FWIW, my friends was older than yours, I believe it was one of the first Monza's out as the tip was more pointed and I believe they rounded it after the first year. In any event, he purchased it used and when it cracked, took it back to a local HO dealer who spoke to HO directly took photo's showing the crack was not caused by any modifications, handle shots to the ski, etc., and they replaced it with a new Monza.
My point being, if you have a local HO dealer that you know and can speak with, maybe they can help you to get it covered.

Kyle
06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
I guess this is not a real reason to warranty a ski. What a effing joke.....

east tx skier
06-27-2011, 01:29 PM
We still have an original Monza Prototype (05) with the pointy tip. My wife rides it occasionally these days. Great ski. Also have an original Sixam that still screams.

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Thats BS that they wont warranty it!

remember when I broke my fin when you were pulling me and I sailed into 4 ball head 1st at 250 MPH?? HO sent me a complete new fin set up for free...

GT500 MC
06-27-2011, 01:37 PM
That pic looks like a product defect to me. Can't believe they won't warranty it--especially when it probably costs them only 25% of the retail. Tell them you'll pay for S&H...

Kyle
06-27-2011, 02:05 PM
more pics...........

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 02:20 PM
nice watch kyle - do they make those in men's sizes?

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Two more pics of kyles ski

http://i52.tinypic.com/ei353b.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/b4girk.jpg

MIMC
06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
The lack of "support" you received from HO just helped me eliminate one of the brands for my next ski! :rolleyes: In such a competitive and "niche" business as ski boats/water-skiing, you would think these manufacturers would understand that "customer is king" and try to show some support. The boats and associated equipment are big $$$, partial assistance would be understood - but zero assistance is unacceptable in my opinion! Thanks for sharing!

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 02:24 PM
In HOs defense, they clearly have a policy on their website...

I know exceptions have been made though, I had them assist me in the past when I broke my fin...

From HOs site:

"Two Years from Date of Original Purchase Compression Hardgoods

HO Sports will inspect any and all products sent in for warranty for the period of up to two years from original date of purchase of that product. The warranty period extends to any repaired or replaced items for the duration of the two years from date of purchase of the original item. Products older than two model years must be accompanied with a customer receipt to verify purchase within two years. Product Defined: Any Ski, Wakeboard, Wake Skate, Wake Surf or Kneeboard constructed using the compression molding manufacturing process."

Kyle
06-27-2011, 02:36 PM
Then why did HO just tell me 4 years. Who is right or wrong.....

If any of you guys know how I could get in touch with a Higer Up at HO please let me know. I know things break and I also know that this ski has not been skied on that much. Took a lot of time off right after I got it due to getting hurt and other issues. I would say that it has less than half of a season on it. I am going to start calling some of the people who tested skis for HO. Maybe they can get some inside info to me...

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm digging for info also - Brain was unable to help me since his guy left HO, CTFD :grin: and we'll get it handled.

DooSPX
06-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Holy! Glad I'm going to Radar after I get off my HO.

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Radar is where that HO guy went to that helped me in the past

east tx skier
06-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I assume you're talking about Eddie Roberts. Yes, Herb and Eddie went to Radar and are making some fine skis there. http://corningplumbing.com/1misc/bug-pause4xlong.gif

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I assume you're talking about Eddie Roberts. Yes, Herb and Eddie went to Radar and are making some fine skis there. http://corningplumbing.com/1misc/bug-pause4xlong.gif

ding ding ding! eddie roberts was him!

Kyle
06-27-2011, 05:46 PM

How did you add the little fly on the screen. I tried to catch the little bastard like 3 times before I realized it was you.....

LOL

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 05:47 PM
maybe he did it like this? http://corningplumbing.com/1misc/bug-pause4xlong.gif

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Do you think it broke bc mark had your weight upto 440 on the pp ;)

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 06:27 PM
LMFAO - shut up james!

Kyle
06-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Do you think it broke bc mark had your weight upto 440 on the pp ;)

Yes that is the reason why....

Mark I would like a new A2 or a Radar Strada.....Pony up big boy

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 07:12 PM
but i thought you were close to that weight...

Kyle
06-27-2011, 07:17 PM
but i thought you were close to that weight...

Sorry you are WRONG!!!!

Excuses Only Satisfy Those Who Make Them......Pony Up

rhsprostar
06-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Two more pics of kyles ski

http://i52.tinypic.com/ei353b.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/b4girk.jpg

Kyle...you were running into 32off on that?!:eek:

........you are my hero brother!...ski on!

MIskier
06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Vp of sales is CJ Vlahovich I would try getting ahold of him.

Sullivan
06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Maybe its just timing and luck of the draw.....but, I skied on my Dad's A1 last night that we have only used a few times and I went around 4 ball and the handle got away from me. Poped up out of the water and the whole edge of the ski was gone. I can't tell you how disappointed I was. That would never happen with my Strada. I've hit my Strada tons with my handle and never had a single problem.

There seems to be some quality concerns too with the new A2. You can read all about it on Ballofspray.

DooSPX
06-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Looks like major quality control issues with HO :mad: Luckly my 2006 model HO has been holding up fine, but I am definitely getting a Radar for my next stick.

TxsRiverRat
06-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Kyle is getting a new ski - warrantied by HO

blakehardesty
06-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Looks like major quality control issues with HO :mad: Luckly my 2006 model HO has been holding up fine, but I am definitely getting a Radar for my next stick.

You should. Radars are the SHIZZZZ

east tx skier
06-28-2011, 03:34 PM
You should. Radars are the SHIZZZZ

Second that. Very few guys are getting rid of their Stradas for low $$$. Sticking with my MPD for the foreseeable future until I can find cheap strada.

tideengineer
06-28-2011, 03:59 PM
....been a fun read here....my ski is so old it has the name "Kidder" fading out on it.....

east tx skier
06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Should have said so sooner. I could have sold you my old sixam and combined shipping with the mirror. 8p

tideengineer
06-28-2011, 04:19 PM
That would have been nice!

Kyle
08-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Here is the update on my ski...

I first bought an A1 to get back on the water and ski. I did not know if HO was going to warranty the old Monza or not. Well I begged them to keep the Monza and emailed them pictures.

They sent me an A2 and it is new. Well I skied on the A2 and wanted to move the bindings after skiing on it. When I was removing one of the screws the screw snaped in half and now is stuck in the instert of a ski that had been skied on 2 sets. Man I am pissed off now. Well I called HO back and spoke to my sales man. I told him what had happened and asked if I could ship it back and "PAY" to have it repaired because I felt that it was my fault instead of the HO's fault. He puts me on hold for 5 minutes. Comes back and says here is you RA# send it back and we will send you another new one. I was like are you serious I cant pay for this one to be fixed. He then said dont worry about it I will ship you a new A2.

I am shipping the ski today and should get the new A2 in next week.

Now that I have skied on a 67.5 A1 and a 66.5 A2 I like the longer ski better. I fee that the longer ski allows me to get more agressive on it than the shorter. I have run 4 @ -35 on the A2 I am sending back. The A1 I have run 2 @ -38 and I skied on them in on the same day. The A2 skies very similar to the A1 and I like the ski but it is a hair too short otherwise I would probably ride it as my primary ski. I may sell the new in the box A2 when I get it. Is there anyone looking for a 66.5 HO Syndicate A2 brand new in the box???

oldairboater
08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Loose a race and break two skis. It has been a tough summer.

Kyle
08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Loose a race and break two skis. It has been a tough summer.

Easy There Now

Sullivan
08-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Funny, one of the guys I ski with wanted to move his boots on his new A2, snaped the midle screw on the front boot trying to back it out. I then did the same exact screw on my A1. I hate HO skis. Crap.

tideengineer
08-11-2011, 05:23 PM
i need a new slalom ski...kidder aint kidding no mo

ahhudgins
08-11-2011, 07:18 PM
That sounds odd not to warranty a ski that was bought on line. I bought a USED Hyperlite board off ebay and when the over lays started to tear I went to the closest dealer to order new ones. Hyperlite sent me new ones at no charge and no one asked where I bought the board.