PDA

View Full Version : Second bilge pump.

oldairboater
06-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Bilge pumps are cheap. I installed a second bilge pump behind the packing gland on my boat. I tried it out yesterday at the boat ramp. I didn't have time to really run the boat enough to accumulate water like normal. When we have people coming into the boat and going into the water with the toys, we get a lot of water over time. With the back seat and all the people back there plus the way the boat rides normally. I was accumulating enough water back there to get the carpet wet on the floorboard at the seat. My original bilge pump is mounted in front of the engine. Wasn't causing a problem but usually only when we came to an idled was there enough water distributed through my bilge to cause my automatic bilge to kick on. I also wired the back bilge pump independent of the front bilge. The back bilge pump is wired to have power to it's float switch anytime the battery is turned on. That way I always have at least one bilge pump on line all the time regardless of panel switch. Is there going to be a problem that I didn't anticipate?

timvan
06-27-2011, 08:21 AM
how did you plumb it up? is there a way to use the rear pumps outlet without the water feeding back into the bilge throught the rear pump?

oldairboater
06-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Both pumps have their own discharge outlet and plumbing. No way for either to back flow to each other.
how did you plumb it up? is there a way to use the rear pumps outlet without the water feeding back into the bilge throught the rear pump?