PDA

View Full Version : MC Dealers-Acess To All Service Hist?

deminimis
06-27-2011, 12:19 AM
Wonder if I can call any MC dealer to access my boat's service history? If you know, please advise. Was about to swap out the fuel pump, but noticed toolmarks on screws and other indicators suggesting the FP may have been serviced before. Don't want to do the FP mod if the current pump has less than, say, 150 hrs on it. Thanks.

erkoehler
06-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Unless it was claimed on warranty there is no permanent record.

JimN
06-27-2011, 11:05 AM
Wonder if I can call any MC dealer to access my boat's service history? If you know, please advise. Was about to swap out the fuel pump, but noticed toolmarks on screws and other indicators suggesting the FP may have been serviced before. Don't want to do the FP mod if the current pump has less than, say, 150 hrs on it. Thanks.

MC has a record of the dealer that received it for delivery. You can find that by contacting MC and giving them the hull ID number. Then, you can call that dealer and if they did their paperwork, the service history may be available.

Thrall
06-27-2011, 11:37 AM
When I bought my 06, used, I couldn't get any info out of the selling dealer in Vegas. Went under, changed hands, something. Anyway, called the dealer I knew in Phx and they said they could only access info on boats they had serviced or sold at their store and that there wasn't a universal database, like auto mfrs have.

erkoehler
06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Dealers should not be releasing service history without owner consent.

-V-
06-27-2011, 12:09 PM
but what if you are the owner?

erkoehler
06-27-2011, 12:16 PM
but what if you are the owner?

They would need the consent of whomever owned the boat at time of service. Basically whoever has their name on the repair order.

deminimis
06-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Dealers should not be releasing service history without owner consent.

Why? Its not personal medical history? Auto industry requires no such consent from POs so why should boats be any different?

Well, regardless, thanks for the replies. I will just go ahead and install the new fuel pump and quit worrying about it.

-V-
06-27-2011, 12:29 PM
i believe that if you own the boat you should be able to own the documentation supporting the history.

JimN
06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
The dealer shouldn't have any problem if they remove the previous owners' names from the records. Also, MC will have any warranty claims submitted by the dealers.

deminimis
06-27-2011, 10:55 PM
The dealer where I got the boat is closed on Mondays. Figuring no info would be available, just went ahead and swapped out the pump. Now have a working Carter fuel pump for a back up, should I ever need it.