PDA

View Full Version : 1981 Mc

tex599
06-26-2011, 11:40 AM
I just bought a 81 MC and had a quick question. The rudder seems to have some play in it, side to side when moved by hand. Is this normal or does it require bearing replacement? Trying to locate online parts diagram, but have not been successful. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

oxberger
06-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Welcome and congrats! This link may help you: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5427&highlight=manuals

Bruce Carr
06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
There are no replaceable bearings on that rudder. The rudder shaft and the rudder are a one piece. The rudder stuffing box, the fitting which is bolted into the hull has a couple of seals but again the stuffing box itself is on piece. You will probably find that both the rudder shaft and stuffing box has a good bit of wear causing the rudder to deflect left and right. At some point, the wear is great enough that when the rudder is loaded up in a turn, the rudder shaft binds in the stuffing box making the steering feel "sticky". Replacements rudder assemblies are available (they do not look like the original and may need some modification of the hull to mount) at places like Discount Imboard Marine.

An option (as I did) was to remove the stuffing box from the boat and put it on a lathe to machine the inside diameter to a round condition again. Of course this made the inside diameter of the stuffing box bigger. I then machined a stainless steel sleeve to just fit over the rudder shaft and have just enough clearance with the new bore diameter in the stuffing box to make a good fit. This has worked out well for me and has lasted for several years now. Be sure and keep the rudder greased as well, there is a grease zerk on the stuffing box below the tiller arm.

onejdgreen
06-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Sounds like you got the advice that you need, NOW GET SOME PICTURES OF THE BOAT ON HERE!!!

tex599
06-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the quick responses, have not had time to look into it any further, but hopefully later this week. Bruce I am in Fort Worth as well. Will get pictures posted soon.