PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a ski pole?

dallas&devonjones
06-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Hello - my husband and I are new to the boating world, but we've decided to refurbish an 81' Mastercraft. The hull and outside of the boat are in perfect condition, but the motor (350 chevy) and cosmetics need a bit of work. This morning, we pulled out the engine, and started cleaning the inside of the boat out. We're trying to take out the ski pole so we can clean out under it, and figure how much wood we need to replace over the fiber glass.

Like i said, we're new to boats, so any advice or help you could give us about the boat in general would be great.

But, the question i need help with now, is the ski pole.

Any Advice?

Thanks,
The Jones'.

scharette
06-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Hello,
Welcome to Team talk, can you post pictures of your boat ?

chico
06-25-2011, 02:29 PM
If it is like my old 78 it took me 3 days,lots of PB blaster,a big pipe wrench and a few choice words.

dallas&devonjones
06-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Yes, we will post some pics. Let us take some, should have them up in a few hours

ShamrockIV
06-25-2011, 02:54 PM
good luck. where in the southeast are yall?

kevkan
06-25-2011, 02:59 PM
If an '81 is at all like my '85 (it isn't the '85 had no wood), get a Fly High X pole, or other brand extension. It will loosen up your pylon in a hurry.

dallas&devonjones
06-25-2011, 03:10 PM

SWeaver
06-25-2011, 03:30 PM
wow. That's gonna take some work :eek:

It'll be totally worth it if you do it proper, though.

I can't help with the pylon, but keep us posted and you'll find a ton of help here.

1redTA
06-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Good Luck with the pylon! I figured torches were a bad thing too loosen mine

Huskie05
06-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Wow, you have a job on your hands. Glad to see that boat coming back to life though, very cool! Good Luck! Help will be along soon.

dallas&devonjones
06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey Team Talk!

In the posts above this are pictures of our 81 MasterCraft that we're refurbishing. Like I said in the beginning, my husband and I are trying to take out the ski pole. I know my husband could beat the pole out of the boat, but we'd like to try a different route instead of beating it.

Any advice or comments?
Any help we can get!

Thanks
- The Jones'

oxberger
06-26-2011, 12:55 PM
You may want to send a PM to americanskierjim. He's done this (I can't seem to find his refurb thread or I'd post that) and from what I recall it was a very tedious process. I believe he actually had to cut it out and create a new bracket to weld back on. Hopefully one of the really experienced guys that have done this will chime in. Being Sunday they maybe enjoying the fruits of their labor right now. Welcome to the board and congrats on the boat!

FrankSchwab
06-26-2011, 02:17 PM
With no immediate assistance, I might recommend a search for "remove Pylon"

A couple of threads you may find interesting:
81 restoration (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35863)
Pylon stuck (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=36870&highlight=remove+pylon)
Removal of center pylon (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34732&highlight=remove+pylon)
Pulling pylon (http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13029&highlight=remove+pylon)

Some of these may not apply due to model year differences.

On a boat that old, you may want to check the condition of the wooden stringers glassed into the hull (I believe the engine mounts lag bolt directly into them). A lot of people have found them soft and rotten (especially around the engine mounts) due to water soaking in over the years. Based on where you have the boat stripped down to, it won't be too bad a job - search for "stringer replacement" if you need to do it.

Good luck,
/frank

dallas&devonjones
06-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys! Today we got all of the old carpet & wood pulled off of the floor. The boat had been sitting for a while before we got it, so there's a lot of cleaning that has to be done before we can actually start the work. We've been wondering if we should completely strip all of the fiberglass on the floor, and put in new (which we will probably do), or should we try to salvage the old fiberglass and just do patch work on it. Either way, there's much work to do to the floors. No holes in the floor itself, just some holes in the fiberglass.

Thanks!
- The Jones'

dallas&devonjones
06-26-2011, 07:08 PM
Thanks Frank. We'll update some more pictures soon as we continue to strip the boat. If anyone has any advice on what, or what not, to strip, please let us know!

Thanks
- The Jones'

Bruce Carr
06-27-2011, 02:11 PM
I can't tell for sure from your photos but I am pretty sure your pylon mount is the same as on my early '83 with wood stringers. If this is the case, remove the 4 bolts thru the stringers (2 each side) and then remove the 6 (or eight) bolts that go thru the pylon base, thru the hull and thru the tracking fins. Then pull the entire pylon out of the boat. At that point, you can apply PB Blaster, heat, hammers, pipe wrenches, etc to the steel "mounts" that have no doubt become as one with the aluminum pylon due to severe corrosion. It looks like the upper brace is almost rusted in two, the lower mount may be in similiar condition. If so, new parts can be fabricated from mild steel, plate, angle and tubing. Any welding shop can make these parts for you using the old parts as a pattern.

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 02:29 PM
I can't tell for sure from your photos but I am pretty sure your pylon mount is the same as on my early '83 with wood stringers.

Yep, that pole looks exactly like the one on that sweet 83 of yours...

Bruce Carr
06-27-2011, 02:36 PM
About those stringers..... Using a small hammer, tap all along the stringers (top and both sides)to check for internal rot of the wood encased in the fiberglass. With all the flooring out of the boat as you have done, accessing the stringers will be easy. The stringers should produce a nice solid rap when struck with a hammer, not a dull "thud". Pay particular attention to where the motor mount lag bolts penetrate the stringers and any other holes penetrating the fiberglass covering the stringers. If the stringers are still sound, don't bother buying any lottery tickets as you have already used up a lifetime of luck. Replacing the stringers can be done but it can get expensive or time consuming depending on whether you do it yourself of have it done.

Some time back, I ripped out all the flooring (had couple of soft spots) and found some stringer rot. This on a boat I have owned since new and has always been garaged. Best of luck on a fun project!

Bruce Carr
06-27-2011, 02:46 PM
About those stringers..... Using a small hammer, tap all along the stringers (top and both sides)to check for internal rot of the wood encased in the fiberglass. With all the flooring out of the boat as you have done, accessing the stringers will be easy. The stringers should produce a nice solid rap when struck with a hammer, not a dull "thud". Pay particular attention to where the motor mount lag bolts penetrate the stringers and any other holes penetrating the fiberglass covering the stringers. If the stringers are still sound, don't bother buying any lottery tickets as you have already used up a lifetime of luck. Replacing the stringers can be done but it can get expensive or time consuming depending on whether you do it yourself of have it done.

Some time back, I ripped out all the flooring (had couple of soft spots) and found some stringer rot. This on a boat I have owned since new and has always been garaged. Best of luck on a fun project!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Welcome to TT and congrats on purchasing a great project boat. Bruce gave some great advice in taking the cross brace and he pylon as an assembly. You are much less likely to have any problems that way.

Jim did a great job on both bringing his boat back to life and putting it all down for future reference for the many restorations to come. http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33649 He covers most every aspect that you will encounter. For those that he doesn't, or for clarification, there is an endless stream of MC knowledge here for you.

Keep the pics coming as we all love to see the progress.:cool:

americanskierJim
09-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Hat's off to my Friends on here for the great word's. Thanks Guy's

If you are in need of some help send me a PM. I will be more than happy to help you out.

mikeg205
09-05-2011, 09:04 PM
eash...and i was concerned about removing the rub rail and replacing some loose rivets...I am soo not worthy...:o agree will be soo woth it...:headbang:

Dino Don
09-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Frank. We'll update some more pictures soon as we continue to strip the boat. If anyone has any advice on what, or what not, to strip, please let us know!

Thanks
- The Jones'

How's it going?? Any updates on your project?

americanskierJim
09-10-2011, 11:50 PM
This is how I got mine out from the pylon steel keeper's. A big vice and ton's of spray oil and some help from a hammer.

Bellinghamster
09-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Mine looked about like AmericanskierJim's. I, too removed the upper and lower mounts (lower mount was glassed to the hull, but since I was replacing stringers it wasn't a big deal to grind that out, too). I used a cutting disc on a 4-1/2" angle grinder, both to cut the glass (works great!) and to "split" the bottom base in half. I welded up a new base that bolts to the forward skeg fasteners rather than glassed in and it has DRAIN HOLES in it so the bottom of the aluminum pylon doesn't perpetually sit in a water, so it'll be easy to remove if ever needed.