PDA

View Full Version : I Forgot the Plug????? Really???

MC4SNETS
06-25-2011, 02:46 AM
I can't believe it. Twenty plus years of boating....I finally did it....I actually forgot to put the bilge plug in before launching!

So the routine is I get the boat ready.....nobody else in the family asks any questions for fear I will eat them alive.....that's my boat, you are lucky to go with me....I know what I am doing, I have prepared for everything.....yes, I've done that, yes, it's taken care of, yes, yes, yes.....do you think I'm a fool, of course I am prepared to launch!

So as usual, I....yes I...drive down the ramp....I, yes I, tell the kids to get in the boat as I remove the winch strap and transom tie-downs....and pull the pin on the boat-buddy to the correct position to load the boat later.....Then I, yes I, back the boat down into the water with the truck straight so that my lovely wife only needs to put the truck in reverse and watch my hand signals as I, yes I, drive the boat off the trailer....

So I and the kids are loaded in the boat, she backs in orchestrated by my hand signals, hull gets in the water, I start the mighty engine as I signal her to back in further.....the 2001 MariStar 210 slides gracefully off the trailer in reverse for a wonderful day on the lake as I give the signal to my lovely wife to take off and park the truck and trailer.......

As I watch my gorgeous wife and gorgeous 2004 F250 and my gorgeous white MasterCraft trailer ascend the long ramp, and as I'm perfectly and precisely turning the Maristar on a dime, pulsing the shifter from forward port to reverse......I see a light on the dash, a light I have never seen before.....it is right next to the words, "DRAIN PLUG."

F@#&!

I immediately jump into Navy Seal mode (A mode in which I have no previous experience)

I immediately switched on the bilge pump....I dive across the boat to the port rear cupholder where I ALWAYS keep the drain plug. I grab the plug, yell at my 13 year-old son to man the stern ( as it was swinging to shore) he reacts precisely......I slide across the sundeck, almost skipping the ski platform and into the water....not sure where I shed my shirt and iPhone.....right into the water, eyes-open right to the opening and screwed the plug in hand-tight....

Before my wife returned to the shore for us to pick her up I entered the water again with the proper 3/4" wrench to tighten the plug and returned the wrench to the toolbox and the bilge pump finished pumping quite a few gallons out.....about a full ten minutes of pumping.

As we picked her up after she parked the truck and trailer, she wondered why I was wet already......"I had to pee."

JeromeM
06-25-2011, 03:02 AM
Lol, great story! I'm happy my plug goes in right behind me on the inside in case i ever forget :)

Cobra Rob
06-25-2011, 03:19 AM
glad both of my bilges are automatic.

I have also never removed the rear plug so there would not even be a need to get wet just stick arm down the center hole and plug it up.

hragsarkissian
06-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Hahahahaha. Very funny story. I like the navy seal mode. Glad it worked out though. Hopefully no one noticed :p

03geetee
06-25-2011, 07:36 AM
That was great! Zip tie a bag to your boat keys and it will make them so big and clunky to carry around you wont be able to stand it anymore until you install the plugs.

Works every time.

JTR

Covi
06-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Your story is priceless. Well written. I am glad YOU resolved all of YOUR issues and YOU were able to continue on having a great day on the water!!!! LOL

Jerseydave
06-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Great story! It's also a great reminder why I never remove the stern drain plug, only the T-plug in the center.

scott023
06-25-2011, 09:44 AM
That's quite the recovery, and the wife not knowing what transpired is awesome. :D

nickespi
06-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Haha! Glad to see someone else had a rough start to their day too.

mtajpa
06-25-2011, 10:43 AM
So how much did it cost to keep your son quite? It may come back to haunt you, " Hey Dad remember when you ???????? !" With my 4 kids it would be cheaper just to fess up. These type of stories are ones you will remember for years to come especially next time your putting the boat in the water.

Thanks for the story.

BNIROOSTER
06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the laugh this A.M. Great story!

JJMorris3
06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
This is funny - in hindsight! You saved the day by thinking and moving fast. The next trip to the ramp is gonna be funny too. If your family is like mine they will be highly entertained by shooting funny smirks at each other behind my back until someone finally bursts out laughing. Thanks for the animated recount of the event!

Double D
06-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Great Story! But next time when your preparing to put in I am sure one of your "witnesses" will chime in with "Hey Dad, did you put in the plug??" :)

RustyMC
06-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I read this post aloud to the warden and she laughed like hell....she claims I am just as anal about the whole launch process

psychobilly
06-25-2011, 11:46 AM
That's AWESOME you can see the humor and post it here. good on ya! ;) Thanx for the laugh this morning.

Brian B
06-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for sharing!

What exactly is it that triggers the "plug" light?

TX.X-30 fan
06-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks for sharing!

What exactly is it that triggers the "plug" light?

Be nice everyone!!!!!:D

Brian B
06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
The time I forgot my plug (old Bayliner) I launched the boat, docked it, and went on a 20 minute hike through the parking lot to assist my friends with airing up a kite tube. While I was walking back down to the boat it dawned on me that I forgot the plug. By the time I got to the dock there was roughly a foot of water above the floor and the boat was beginning to lean. I flew off the dock and into the water and had to plug the boat with my thumb. The plug was at the far end of the parking lot and I had to sit there in the water with my thumb plugging the boat while one of my friends went back for it. That experience was enough to never do it again. I was embarrassed!

Brian B
06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Be nice everyone!!!!!:D

:( ..................................

starman205
06-25-2011, 02:16 PM
There are two kinds of boaters, those that have forgotten to put the plug in at the launch ramp...and those that will!!!:D

Just to come clean, I am in the latter category of boaters.

kevkan
06-25-2011, 04:16 PM
At least with it being the stern plug, driving the boat will drain the water. What happens with the center plug while driving? I don't want to find out!

I launched a Seadoo without the plug once. Didn't know it had one, because the old stand-up jetskis didn't. I hope that was my "one time" experience. Still, I remain open to the question "is the plug in?"

silverblueBP
06-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I always prep the boat at home and my wife always checks to see if I have missed anything. I gave up being second guessed years ago since my memory is not worth crap anymore! The plug always goes in before it leaves the garage.

There still will be a day when I forget it though...............

Iskidaily
06-25-2011, 10:37 PM
MC4: loved the way you told this story. My wife is new to boating and LOVED hearing that perhaps I am not the only "captain beyond question"... of course she exaggerates! Well said, thanks for sharing.

Covi
06-25-2011, 10:54 PM
I was in the mood for another laugh so I read the post again. The story is written so well. I made my wife read it at the crack of dawn this AM and she too was LOL'd.

dtc
06-26-2011, 12:05 AM
I'll add my props to a well written account of a funny moment in our lives as boat owners! My wife loved your story and wants to ask, "are you a pilot too"? Although I try to back off and not be "that guy" when we're preping and launching, apparently some of my thoughts have made it past my teeth!

Hope everyone has a great season ... stay safe & have fun!

MC4SNETS
06-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Not a pilot.....just a control freak. Glad everyone enjoyed the story.

Thrall
06-26-2011, 03:12 PM
As we picked her up after she parked the truck and trailer, she wondered why I was wet already......"I had to pee."

Yeah, same story last year w/ me. No collateral damage, but the routine and watching the truck drive up the ramp was uncannily the same.
Even though the boat was not abot to sink I bailed off the back with the plug, not dropping it thankfully, but I didn't take the the time to remove my shirt, shorts, wallet, phone. Phone made it. Those heavy duty Verizon "waterproof" phones really are waterproof if anyone cares.
Same thing, wife comes down to the dock, life is already back to normal except I'm soaked, clothes and all. She asks "Didn't you have enough time to take off your shirt and shorts before you jumped in to take a leak?"

I blame the fish cops and their zebra mussel inspections. Before last yr, I never left the house without the plug(s) in. Noe I have to leave it out so the inspector can make sure I don't have a zebra mussel farm in my bilge!

agarabaghi
06-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Ive done it, with both plugs though!...

aarosurf
06-27-2011, 01:36 AM
Haven't forgotten yet but I know my time will come. I always tell whoever is in the truck with me on the way to the lake to verify that I've put in the plug before we back down the ramp.

With that being said, today I got the boat off the ramp after it cranked up on the first try, pulled around to the dock, waited for everyone to load on after my friend parked the truck, then spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it started again. Turned out the KILL SWITCH lanyard thing got dislodged, felt like an idiot, first instinct was the engine flooded or the battery was dead.

02ProstarSammyD
06-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Great story!

I forgot mine and made it atleast a mile before someone asked....."Is there supposed to be this much water in the floor?". Now thats an Oh crap moment. Ps: Wait until you are a mile out, your girlfriend is screaming at you about it and you have a passenger that has never been on a boat and is now crying. Its funny how that couple has never returned lol

kskonn
06-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Haven't forgotten yet but I know my time will come. I always tell whoever is in the truck with me on the way to the lake to verify that I've put in the plug before we back down the ramp.

With that being said, today I got the boat off the ramp after it cranked up on the first try, pulled around to the dock, waited for everyone to load on after my friend parked the truck, then spent the next 30 minutes trying to get it started again. Turned out the KILL SWITCH lanyard thing got dislodged, felt like an idiot, first instinct was the engine flooded or the battery was dead.

the second weekend I owned my boat I did something similiar. I was at a ramp, backed the boat in to the water, went to start the boat and it would not turn over. I started checking connections to the starter, connections to the engine, I literally spent about 1 hour checking stuff to figure out what the problem was. I then had a good buddy of mine who happened to be on the lake in his sailboat come meet me at the ramp. He races and builds cars so I figured he could help me fix this obvious mechanical problem. When he finally showed up he looked at the engine and then casually under his breath started going through a checklist. The first thing I heard him say was, "ok I am sure the kill switch is disabled." to which prompted me to look at my lanyard laying in the cup holder under my throttle. After a total 2 hours the boat started right up, amazing what putting the lanyard in will do for the engine.

jstewart319
06-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Happened to me last year but I’m not the hero in this story I have to give that up to my wife. So we prep the boat as usual, but somehow forgot the center plug. The wife cannot back up a trailer, although I’m trying to teach her, so she drives the boat off and on the trailer and I must admit does a fine job at it. I back her into the water she starts it up and backs off the trailer no problems, but as I pull away to go park the truck and trailer I look in my mirror and see the bilge pump on, thinking it must have been from the rain the night before I continue to park the truck. It never donned me that I always pull the plug just in case rain gets in the boat it will drain out. I walk to the end of the dock so the wife can pick me up, get in and she looks me and says “did you see the bilge pumping water” I said yea was it from the rain the other night she then enlightened me as to why it was on and that it was taken care of now and that she gets to do her surfing session first. Hardly any water just enough to kick on the pump and thanks to a fast acting wife it turned out to be a great day.

captain planet
06-27-2011, 12:45 PM
I leave my plug on the floor in front of the drivers seat when I pull it out so I see it when I put the boat back in. Has worked well for 13 years.

I also have a great story about this subject that I will add here a little later.

Brian B
06-27-2011, 01:21 PM
I leave my plug on the floor in front of the drivers seat when I pull it out so I see it when I put the boat back in. Has worked well for 13 years.

Thats where I keep mine!

my x25
06-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Great save. Could have been worse. Very easy to forget the plug. With all the advances in modern tech we have these days, can not believe these boats dont have a FAIL PROOF system yet as far as plugs are concerned.

TxsRiverRat
06-27-2011, 02:47 PM
As I watch my gorgeous wife and gorgeous 2004 F250 and my gorgeous white MasterCraft trailer ascend the long ramp

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f72/318129d1283306908-tourbillon-movement-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics-gif

M-Funf
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Not a pilot.....just a control freak. Glad everyone enjoyed the story.

HA! Great story, Snets...

The bigger question is...how did the pads look? :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

MC4SNETS
06-30-2011, 01:15 AM
http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f72/318129d1283306908-tourbillon-movement-this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics-gif

I couldn't find a pic of the gorgeous truck and gorgeous trailer, but I'll work on it....:D

HA! Great story, Snets...

The bigger question is...how did the pads look?

Of course, the tower pads looked great. Can't wait to see some pics of the new ones going out to members here.....:popcorn:

captain planet
06-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Alright, so a number of years ago (1994 or 1995 I think) good buddy of mine decides to be the good son-in-law and go up to the lake on the Thursday night before the big 4th of July weekend and put in his father-in-law's BRAND NEW boat (I think it was the only new boat this guy has ever bought). The boat is a 20' or so tri-hull deck boat with a 125 Force outboard on it. So, he puts the boat in, parks the trailer and drives proudly back to Canton Ohio from Berlin Reservior (about 25 miles away) thinking he has done a good deed for his in-laws.

So my buddy gets home and calls his father-in-law to tell him the wonderful favor he has done for him in putting in his boat in the water and it will be one less thing he will have to do when he gets up to the lake on Friday. The father-in-law says, "did you put the plug in the boat"? My buddy says, yup, sure did. Then the father-in-law says......"did you put in the top plug also"?

CLICK....phone hangs up.

My buddy frantically runs back up to the lake from Canton in an astonishing 18 minutes. He runs down to the water to find the boat sitting rather low in the water. He jumps in and hits the bilge, to which the boat listed pretty heavily when he jumped in. He jumps back out and gets the trailer and attempts to pull the boat at which the point the story gets a little fuzzy because when he is telling it I'm usually in stitches and don't hear the rest. I think as he was trying to drive the boat around the docks to the trailer his father-in-law...AND mother-in-law pull up. He managed to get it on the trailer but not before water actually came in over the gunnels at least once.

The guy at our club still has the boat....and we still bring it up to my buddy at least twice a summer.

Our boat club has this little award we pass around called the "Dummy Award". He was given this award I think the following weekend to display at his camper until the next dummy came along.

east tx skier
06-30-2011, 03:12 PM
I bought my father in law's old I/O in 2002 after he bought his 205. We get it to the lake for our first outing since the test drive. As we are heading out, I give it some gas and the nose almost goes straight up in the air. I check the trim and it's all the way down. Quickly, I see water starting to come in through the floor and realize what we all eventually realize. I'm an idiot and didn't put the plug in. Fortunately, we're still close to the no wake zone and I make it back to the ramp (plug is on the transom under the outdrive. Boat tinkled for about 15 minutes. We put it back in and went out for the afternoon. Later, I get pulled over for skiing in what I came to find out was a "no ski zone." We had enough life vests, but our fire extinguisher was empty and the "certificate of number" (registration) was nowhere to be found. We were told to head for the ramp (no ticket) and, long story short, I learned lots of lessons on that first trip.

Fast forward four years, I've got the MC back on the trailer, I pull the plug, and as we're about to pull forward, I notice the boat isn't straight. So I drop it back in the water to let it self-straighten. When I pull it out, I remember that I had pulled the plug. Bilge got rinsed.

Hope I'm not due for another user error any time soon.

emsfltops
06-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Great story. Funny that it happenned to me last week...as the trailer pulled out and the water started coming out the side, my 15yr old son asked me the obvious question: " Did you forget to put the plug in?" as I was in the process of docking, with my 18yr old daughter screaming: "the dock, the dock!!" my son jumped on the throtle, moved it to reverse as I had my hand in the hole, puting the plug in...No one got injured and pure luck the boat didn't get a scratch. After we all came down from the excitement, I realized that I would have had time to dock the boat safely, turn off the engine, reach for the plug and insert it, without causing harm to anyone or anything...lesson learned.

TxsRiverRat
06-30-2011, 05:59 PM
I have never launched a boat without a plug and i have never run over a ski rope...

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

ski/hunt
06-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Ohhh you just hexed yourself there!! You will prolly rip the plug out with the rope you run over next time your out :•) (that of course is if your luck and influence upon your luck is anything like mine)

TxsRiverRat
06-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Ohhh you just hexed yourself there!! You will prolly rip the plug out with the rope you run over next time your out :) (that of course is if your luck and influence upon your luck is anything like mine)

LMFAO - I was being sarcastic! :cool:

Z71_Silvy
06-30-2011, 07:41 PM
"Man the stern!".

LOL...kid's probably thinking, "do I say "OK!" having no clue what this crazy person really wants, or do I tell him I have no idea what he is talking about and risk being turned into musky bait?"

HDAVIS
06-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I once had a VIP runabout that we forgot the plug. The only person in the boat was my young teenage son. After we unloaded the boat into the water we went a couple of miles away where we had a slip rented. When my son drove around to the place we were going to meet, I noticed water coming out the side of the boat. He said as long as he kept moving fairly fast the water did not come into the boat as much. Anyway, that was really scary, and I felt like an idiot. I will never forget that.

MC4SNETS
07-01-2011, 02:52 AM
"Man the stern!".

LOL...kid's probably thinking, "do I say "OK!" having no clue what this crazy person really wants, or do I tell him I have no idea what he is talking about and risk being turned into musky bait?"

My 13 year-old son definately knows what the stern is. I have treated him like a boating partner and involved him in docking, towing and loading the boat onto the trailer. He is a very bright kid and last time we were out, he drove the boat onto the trailer. He probably understands how to handle an inboard better than many inboard drivers. He knows that he needs to show me his skills so he can drag the boat out on his own when he can drive.....

I forsee no issues in the future. When he is 16 he will probably be taking his friends to the lake on his own....very responsible and "get's it." Proud dad here......and you understand from this post that I'm a conrol freak.....he will be too.

Z71_Silvy
07-01-2011, 06:25 PM
My 13 year-old son definately knows what the stern is. I have treated him like a boating partner and involved him in docking, towing and loading the boat onto the trailer. He is a very bright kid and last time we were out, he drove the boat onto the trailer. He probably understands how to handle an inboard better than many inboard drivers. He knows that he needs to show me his skills so he can drag the boat out on his own when he can drive.....

Good for you. Reminds me a lot of myself when I was younger and how my grandfather taught me what I know.

I forsee no issues in the future. When he is 16 he will probably be taking his friends to the lake on his own....very responsible and "get's it." Proud dad here......and you understand from this post that I'm a conrol freak.....he will be too.

Lucky kid...but good for him. So many parents are babying their children these days, it's nice to see a parent actually instilling some independence in their child.

03geetee
07-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Because of this guy I reminded myself all the way up to the lakehouse today to do this!

Thanks guy!

JTR

MC4SNETS
07-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Went out again Friday and my boy (now 14) took the boat from me at the shore while I went up to get the truck......once I was trailer in water, he drove it on perfectly again....this time at a much busier and windier ramp. Another proud moment.

Although supervised by my wife, I would have no problem doing the same if it were just he and myself. He gets it and I love it. Now if I could just get him to mow the lawn!

And yes, the plug was in days before she saw water.......both kids quietly reminded me and smiled.