PDA

View Full Version : Holley 4160 Throttle bracket- Help S&S 84

woodskier
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Just installed a new Holley 4160 and fuel pump on my 84 S&S 351. Bought from Skidim, love those guys. Since i missplaced the old carb ( Don't ask) I was missing the Ball joint and connecting nut, and Richard said I would need the BRACKET THROTTLE CABLE/CARB which had been left on my old Holley. This is a 1.5"x1" metal bracket with three holes and a tab.

Where the heck does this go. I assume it attaches to the bracket on the carb which connects to the cable via the ball joint, but which holes on the carb bracket and this bracket line up, Is this used to shorten or lengthen the the throw on the cable.

Hope i am makeing sense. I call Skidim but forgot they close at 3:00 on Friday and the lake out my window beckons.

I have attached a photo of the bracket. Any immediate assistance is very much appreciated as always.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Fail on the picture

woodskier
06-24-2011, 05:14 PM
I will try again
Thanks

woodskier
06-24-2011, 05:39 PM
The bracket attached to carb- no cabble attached. This is where I suspect the small bracket attaches. However when I attached the cable directly to this upper hole, it seems to work correctly when I move the shift lever into forward.

Any thoughts

TNPIG
06-25-2011, 10:45 AM
I too have a 84 SS that I just got this Spring. It's my first boat and I'm having a blast skiing behind it. I'm not all that mechanically inclined. How tough of a job was it to change the fuel pump/filter? Do you have a picture of exactly where it is? How about the fuses for the lights, pump, etc. Can you get those anywhere? The two for my bildge and blower are missing.

woobiedmd
06-25-2011, 12:25 PM
The bracket mounts to the bottom hole on the plate attached to the carb. The bracket points forward at 45 degrees. Here is mine, has some black tape on it but I think you get the idea. I just replaced my carb last week!:D

woodskier
06-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks WoobiedMD. Thats exactly what I needed.

Cloaked
06-26-2011, 10:03 AM
I too have a 84 SS that I just got this Spring. It's my first boat and I'm having a blast skiing behind it. I'm not all that mechanically inclined. How tough of a job was it to change the fuel pump/filter? Do you have a picture of exactly where it is? How about the fuses for the lights, pump, etc. Can you get those anywhere? The two for my bildge and blower are missing.Pig, the pump is a mechanical pump that bolts right onto the engine block (it is located on the side, just below the alternator). Easy install.

The fuel filter is located on the stringer just out from the end of the oil filter. Again, to change the filter, another easy install.

Fuses are housed inside the encapsulated positions for each fuse holder (on the dash). Auto parts store fuses are OK. Just get the correct amperage rating (usually 15 amp).

MasterKraftS&S
06-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey, new CARB owners, my 84 S&S seems to be lacking or little sluggish at WOT. A mechanic friend said it's in the secondarys and since the carbs been re-built in past it needs to be replaced. I think I know where to get one(Skidim) I'm just wondering what drove YOU to replace and how has it performed since. Do I take it on NOW(mid season) or like our beloved Chi. Cubs - wait'll next yr?

Cloaked
06-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Hey, new CARB owners, my 84 S&S seems to be lacking or little sluggish at WOT. A mechanic friend said it's in the secondarys and since the carbs been re-built in past it needs to be replaced. I think I know where to get one(Skidim) I'm just wondering what drove YOU to replace and how has it performed since. Do I take it on NOW(mid season) or like our beloved Chi. Cubs - wait'll next yr?A previous rebuild doesn't mean a new carb next time around. Your secondary part of the carb may need a tweak or a gasket seated properly, etc.... However I do think that after a certain number of years and rebuilds with no improved performance, then new is a consideration. I have ran these 4160s for 10 - 15 years on successive rebuild kits.

Was the rebuild performed properly?

Electric choke in proper adjustment?

Air : fuel ratio (screws) set properly?

And other numerous possibilities.

Discount Inboard Marine is a good place, no doubt. However for this part, consider Holley's internet sales site. They are less expensive.

One thing I have learned is to give the seller (Holley or SKIDIM) all of the numbers on the carb body. Get them to confirm your replacement part.

MasterKraftS&S
06-26-2011, 05:43 PM
A previous rebuild doesn't mean a new carb next time around. Your secondary part of the carb may need a tweak or a gasket seated properly, etc.... However I do think that after a certain number of years and rebuilds with no improved performance, then new is a consideration. I have ran these 4160s for 10 - 15 years on successive rebuild kits.

Was the rebuild performed properly?

Electric choke in proper adjustment?

Air : fuel ratio (screws) set properly?

And other numerous possibilities.

Discount Inboard Marine is a good place, no doubt. However for this part, consider Holley's internet sales site. They are less expensive.

One thing I have learned is to give the seller (Holley or SKIDIM) all of the numbers on the carb body. Get them to confirm your replacement part.

Tweaked and re-tweaked and best we can tell it's out lived it's useful life. I think new would be best - and I will take your advice on sharing all the numbers. Albeit, may not be the ORIGINAL carb. Even the local marine mech. shrugged and said new was $600-1K. I'll look to Holley as you suggest. Thx:)

Cloaked
06-26-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.holley.com/types/Marine%204%20Bbl%20Performance.asp

http://www.holley.com/0-80319-1.asp

Holley has gone up a bit but either place is competitive. I like doing business at Discound Inboard Marine.