PDA

View Full Version : 04 Prostar intermitten quitting

skiergirl
06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
We have an 04 prostar 190. The fuel pump quits and fuel guage goes to empty and the boat quits. It will still turn over, but not start. We unhooked wires from dash and plugged them back in and it would work again. If the fuel guage goes up when the key is turned on, it always starts. If the fuel guage doesn't work, the fuel pump does not turn on and it doesn't start. We tried a new battery, it wasn't the problem. All other guages work, no other symptoms. Two weeks until the 4th of July, Help us!!!

Kyle
06-24-2011, 12:15 PM
More than likely it's the sending unit in the tank. Use a volt meter or test light back there when your problem is intermittent. This should be a fairly easy fix.

skiergirl
06-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks! We will give that a try. Right now the fuel gauge is reading Empty and the fuel pump will not pump. The boat does turn over and all other gauges work. It looks like pulling the wires under the dash and resetting is no longer working.

skiergirl
06-24-2011, 07:49 PM
O.k. We got a volt meter. I'm not sure how to read it. We plug it in to the wires and get a reading in the thousands. If it is broken, what would the volt meter do? Thanks so much for the help.

skiergirl
06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Hurray!!! We accidently found the correct problem. While searching through everyone else's problems, we decided to check all of those things. Our kill switch is loose. We didn't notice that when the boat quit the check engine light was also off. So we wedged a dime into it, and it works.

skiergirl
07-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Well, the fuel pump went out this weekend :( The dealership in Portland, Or. helped us diagnose the problem over the phone and then sent us one. It got to Tacoma, WA the next day. They even included the special tool needed to take the fuel line off and didn't soak us on shipping. Although the part was $525.00, the boat runs like a charm and we were only without it for 3 days. I am so glad we called them, they hire people with real knowledge and will help over the phone. He said if we had any problems changing it out, give him a call and he would talk us through it. What service!!

Jerseydave
07-07-2011, 03:43 AM
Glad to hear that you're back on the water again.

Just curious, was that the original fuel pump and if so how many hours on it?

I just changed mine with 325 hours on it, just to prevent future trouble.

wxnic
07-07-2011, 02:48 PM
was that $525 for just the fuel pump? that should be the price for the entire module.