PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Light Help

kskonn
06-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Alright team here is what I have.

Probably more of an issue with my truck than my trailer but I was hoping that someone on TT might be able to help me out.

I have a brand new Mastercraft trailer for my X30. Everything works perfect except my reverse lights.You can see where this would be a problem, considering that this is what triggers the trailer brakes to release when the actuator is engaged while backing the boat up.

I have a 2000 F-250 4x4 superduty truck with the 7.3 powerstroke. I have checked all of the fuses nothing blown, I have checked the wiring and it looks good. There seems to be a relay for the reverse lamps/auxillary but it does not exist on my truck where the manual says it should exist. Not saying it does not exist, just have not found it yet.

I am going to get out the test light this weeked and start working my way up the wiring from the 7 pin harness.

Before I spend hours on this I thought I might see if any of you have any ideas, maybe experienced the same issue, know of an easy work around etc...

swatguy
06-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Easy work around....u should be able to unplug harness. Insert lastmale end from trailer plug into the first female on the truck and turn on your headlights. Should disengage brakes for you. Works on 5 pin for sure. May work on your 7

kskonn
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
The 7 is a circular connection so I am not able to use that solution. I might be able to get a converter and then do that.

dihrdskir
06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Have you checked the wiring on your truck? The pin in your harness will be wired to the reverse lights on your tow vehicle. When you engage reverse, power will be sent to the reverse lights lights and therefore activate the solenoid deactivating your trailer brakes and operating the reverse lights on your trailer. If the wiring is there in your truck trace it back to where it joins the vehicle loom and ensure there is a good connection.

kskonn
06-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Have you checked the wiring on your truck? The pin in your harness will be wired to the reverse lights on your tow vehicle. When you engage reverse, power will be sent to the reverse lights lights and therefore activate the solenoid deactivating your trailer brakes and operating the reverse lights on your trailer. If the wiring is there in your truck trace it back to where it joins the vehicle loom and ensure there is a good connection.

It is definitely a problem with my truck. Trying to figure out what the problem is. My truck has completely seperate wiring for the trailer lights, it is not tied into the lights on the truck. That being said one option I thought would work is to simply tap into the wiring that goes to the reverse lights on my truck and wire that where it should be wired on my trailer light connection. I am pretty sure there is a relay that failed somewhere on the truck that allows power to be sent to the reverse/auxillary pin on my trailer lights. I have not been able to find the relay in question to check.

Does anyone think that will work?

dihrdskir
06-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Do the reverse lights work on your truck when you engage reverse?

kskonn
06-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Do the reverse lights work on your truck when you engage reverse?

Yea they do.

dihrdskir
06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Does your vehicle plug have wire at the rear which corresponds with the reverse wire on your trailer plug. The trailer plug reverse wiring is most likely blue. If it does then follow that wire to where it joins your vehicle loom and check the connection. You may want to eliminate the possibility of a broken wire if all else appears normal. Quick fix is to splice in a wire to your reverse light and run that to your plug.

kskonn
06-24-2011, 06:57 PM
It has a wire. I am going to trace it back this weekend. If I cannot find the issue I am probably just going to splice into my reverse light and run that down to the connection.

WakePowell
06-25-2011, 08:49 AM
On your truck there is a fuse block near the master brake cylinder. From the factory Ford put a small bag with a fuse and other trailer harness material in the glove box. Plug that fuse into the open slot in the fuse box I just mentioned. It will complete the circuit for the reverse wire on your trailer plug.

I would provide more detail but its been 10 years since I had to do this on my 2001 Ford F250...

BNIROOSTER
06-25-2011, 10:51 AM
It is definitely a problem with my truck. Trying to figure out what the problem is. My truck has completely seperate wiring for the trailer lights, it is not tied into the lights on the truck. That being said one option I thought would work is to simply tap into the wiring that goes to the reverse lights on my truck and wire that where it should be wired on my trailer light connection. I am pretty sure there is a relay that failed somewhere on the truck that allows power to be sent to the reverse/auxillary pin on my trailer lights. I have not been able to find the relay in question to check.

Does anyone think that will work?

That will work until you can find the relay. It may cause a check engine light due to the added resistance though.