PDA

View Full Version : '02 X-Star Throttle Issue

cav14
06-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Hi all,

So I've searched all over the forum but I can't seem to find any resolution to this problem. We just bought an '02 X-Star with about 650 hours on Saturday, and have taken it out three times so far.

Today, when I tried to accelerate to go back to the ramp, it seemed to take a lot more throttle movement than necessary to get normal power. The engine seemed fine, but it just felt like I had to push the throttle a lot farther forward to get the same reaction as before. Is there a problem with the cable? Could it have something to do with the Perfect Pass? It was set to 10 or so for surfing, and I turned it off while still going fast, and then the problem seemed to arise after that.

Any ideas? I'd like to have this fixed before the weekend.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Gabe63
06-24-2011, 01:25 AM
I think a 2002 will have the PP throttle servo and is not factory drive by wire? If so the pp servo lets slack out to control speed. When you shut it off the servo should take the slack back up. It needs the throttle return spring to assist this. There is a test for this in the PP manual.

I bet you would have seen a gap between the PP cable and the factory cable when this happened even though the PP speed controler was off.

My best guess, something is loose near the cable pivot, the return spring is loose, or the servo might have an issue. Call PP if you can't see one of the above.

swatguy
06-24-2011, 07:42 AM
I am willing to bet it was servo motor for your pp. There is white string on there that keeps you in speed range. When u disengage the pp you need to be in neutral. Otherwise the servo tried to play catch up but couldn't due to being shut off and now the throttle is mush cuz the servo motor didn't rewind the slack back in and give you optimal throttle response.

Again only disengage pp while in neutral. Willing to bet if you do this it wont happen again and there are nor "real problem issues". It was just due to disenaging the pp while on the go. Same goes for turning it on. Make sure u are
in neutral.

76S&S
06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Swatguy nailed, only turn the PP off when in neutral.

cav14
06-24-2011, 10:44 AM
So I would need to tighten up the servo motor to get the throttle control back to normal, if I'm understanding everything swatguy is saying, and I can find instructions for that on Perfect Pass's website? I know to only turn on/off in Neutral, but I just forgot this time. Definitely won't happen again.

76S&S
06-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Sorry, I just scanned his post and saw the first sentence in the second paragraph. Don't disengage the PP while under way. Disengage it while in neutral and I don't think you'll have the issue again. If you do, see if it happens with the PP off.

kskonn
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
So I would need to tighten up the servo motor to get the throttle control back to normal, if I'm understanding everything swatguy is saying, and I can find instructions for that on Perfect Pass's website? I know to only turn on/off in Neutral, but I just forgot this time. Definitely won't happen again.

On the top of the servo motor there is a knob that you can turn to manually pull the slack out of the throttle. You turn it until it is firm and has a little recoil. You will see your throttle cable tighten up. Only tighten it up with the motor off, you do not want power to the servo motor while you are turning the knob.

I had this issue with my 03 x30, it was not from disengaging or engaging while out of neutral, it was because my throttle return spring was not functioning properly. I cleaned up and hit it with some lube and have not ever had the problem again.

76S&S
06-24-2011, 01:06 PM
On the top of the servo motor there is a knob that you can turn to manually pull the slack out of the throttle. You turn it until it is firm and has a little recoil. You will see your throttle cable tighten up. Only tighten it up with the motor off, you do not want power to the servo motor while you are turning the knob.

I had this issue with my 03 x30, it was not from disengaging or engaging while out of neutral, it was because my throttle return spring was not functioning properly. I cleaned up and hit it with some lube and have not ever had the problem again.

My reply was based on the fact that he turned the PP off while underway. I did that once and throttle response was just weird.

I've also had the throttle return issue as you describe and did the same thing.

kskonn
06-24-2011, 01:11 PM
My reply was based on the fact that he turned the PP off while underway. I did that once and throttle response was just weird.

I've also had the throttle return issue as you describe and did the same thing.

Yea I just figured I would throw the throttle return spring out there since it was an 02, figured he might run into that problem at some point.

swatguy
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
You should NOT have to tighten it manually. As long as you turn you key to the on position even while out of water the servo will do a self check as part of the start sequence even if you don't crank it over. If that does not happen then you servo is toast.

Again tho willing to bet if u drop boat in water, turn the key and go it will be back to normal.

kskonn
06-24-2011, 04:02 PM
You should NOT have to tighten it manually. As long as you turn you key to the on position even while out of water the servo will do a self check as part of the start sequence even if you don't crank it over. If that does not happen then you servo is toast.

Again tho willing to bet if u drop boat in water, turn the key and go it will be back to normal.

Perfect pass told me that on some occasions there may be to much slack for it to completely tighten up and that I could tighten it manually but to make sure there was not power going to the servo motor. Keep in mind they told me this before I realized the throttle return spring was my ultimate issue, which probably would have allowed my motor to work properly.

cav14
06-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I figured out the issue after calling Perfect Pass support. I just tightened the servo manually, and then (as recommended by the tech I called) loosened it a bit. Turned the ignition to on, and the servo automatically tightened it as it should. Everything should work now, but I'll check tomorrow.

In my case there was too much slack for the servo to tighten by itself without me tightening manually first.