PDA

View Full Version : Seattle area question

Ben
06-23-2011, 12:09 PM
I'll have a few hours to kill next week in seattle, was thinking a nice run outside for 4-6 miles. I'm staying near the space needle. Looks like head due west and there is a park along the water with a path. Is there anything somewhat nearby that would be better / more scenic.

I'd look for a quick pull, but don't want to bring my ski or other crap, and have not been on a board yet this year (too addicted to skiing now)....

99xstar
06-23-2011, 08:19 PM
I always like to go to Gas Works Park. Very nice view of the city and lake Union. Not sure about how easy it would be to run over there from where you will be.

mramerman@gmail.com
06-24-2011, 05:24 PM
I'll have a few hours to kill next week in seattle, was thinking a nice run outside for 4-6 miles. I'm staying near the space needle. Looks like head due west and there is a park along the water with a path. Is there anything somewhat nearby that would be better / more scenic.

I'd look for a quick pull, but don't want to bring my ski or other crap, and have not been on a board yet this year (too addicted to skiing now)....

I would recommend heading east from the Spaceneedle towards Lake Union. There are plenty of great running trails connecting you around the lake---very busy commercial waterway with plenty of boating activity to watch! Enjoy.

Ben
06-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Great thanks. Would i be better off on heading up the east side or west side of union if I run from the south?

Patrick Hardy
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM
You could do either, both would be a good run. Go west down the hill on Broad St. to the Olympic Sculpture Park / waterfront Park and run along the Seattle waterfront, or go north on Westlake Avenue and run the circle around Lake Union - West to East or East to west. If you get tired after the run around the lake, you can ride the trolley car back up the hill to your hotel.

GT500 MC
06-27-2011, 12:19 PM
You could do either, both would be a good run. Go west down the hill on Broad St. to the Olympic Sculpture Park / waterfront Park and run along the Seattle waterfront, or go north on Westlake Avenue and run the circle around Lake Union - West to East or East to west. If you get tired after the run around the lake, you can ride the trolley car back up the hill to your hotel.

I love your avatar.

Ben
06-28-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys, went up west side to a bit past the big bridge, then turned back and went around the other side a bit from the park at the south tip. Now I realize I could have went all the way around and distance would have been similar. Next time.

This place is cool. Love all the bike action, and space on the roads. Definitely better priorities... I got rid of my road bike a few years ago as there is nowhere I'd ride it in my area (very north tip of detroit suburbs) and feel safe. All "mountain" for me now, so I'm responsible for screwups.

Also, the early sunrise would be great for skiing before work, although I'm not sure where you would ski around here, I'm sure there are coves or smaller lakes nearby.

Nice dinner @ Ivar's last night.

mramerman@gmail.com
06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys, went up west side to a bit past the big bridge, then turned back and went around the other side a bit from the park at the south tip. Now I realize I could have went all the way around and distance would have been similar. Next time.

This place is cool. Love all the bike action, and space on the roads. Definitely better priorities... I got rid of my road bike a few years ago as there is nowhere I'd ride it in my area (very north tip of detroit suburbs) and feel safe. All "mountain" for me now, so I'm responsible for screwups.

Also, the early sunrise would be great for skiing before work, although I'm not sure where you would ski around here, I'm sure there are coves or smaller lakes nearby.

Nice dinner @ Ivar's last night.

Lake Washington which connects to Lake Union through a canal is actually a great lake for early morning skis. I live near the lake and it is easy to tow down, launch, ski and get to work at a reasonable hour. If you live on the east-side of Lake Washington (Like I do) you have easy access to Lake Sammamish which is one of the birth places of our sport.

Great choice eating at Ivars---iconic and great food. Glad to hear you had a great trip.

Patrick Hardy
06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Great to hear that you had a good trip. Seattle has a lot of great outdoor activities to do in the heart of the city. As for skiing, Seattle is surrounded by water, you can always find good water somewhere.