PDA

View Full Version : wrap vs. repaint

-V-
06-23-2011, 11:37 AM
okay, so i have a 2000 maristar 210 VRS. I am looking at either fixing the small nics, (from previous owner) and putting a wrap on it or repainting it. Has anyone done either and if so was it expensive? (yes i ask because i am not a millionaire)

KnoxX2
06-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I would go with a wrap. You have alot more options.

-V-
06-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I have seen wraps in the area of 3-5K, is there one central place out there that anyone can reccommend?

I have already looked at the Sirlen Wraps that MC goes through but there prices are ridiculous and the styles are not that amusing to my eyes. When i was in TX, Texas Ski Ranch actually had a guy that could make a wrap from his computer and get it on your boat. I am just looking around.

Thrall
06-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Nicks and chips and even larger scratches can be easily filled with color matched gelcoat. Unless the boat has ALOT of damage that would be cost prohibitive to repair I would not repaint it. Paint will hold up ok, but nowhere near as durable as gel coat.
Wrap it IMO only if you want to spend the money to get a different look.
For a $300 could you buy enough gel and sand paper to fix 100 little nicks and scratches. The process is really quite easy and if you're not comfortable doing final wet sanding buffing and polishing, just fill the scratches and nicks, knock them down flat with sand paper and take it to a shop and have them sand/buff whatever parts are necessary.
Look at gelcoat repair procedures on here in the Appearance section. Really easy and you can maintain the OEM quality of your boat's finish.
Besides, if you're painting it, you'll have to do the body work to all the damage first, so why not just color match the repairs? If you wrap it, anything other than very small nicks (think rock chips on your hood) will show through the wrap and leave a void behind the wrap making it more susceptable to damage.

Based on cost, there are places that will make simple wraps for much less than Sirlin, say if you just want to change teh color of the boat. $2000maybe and I'm guessing.
Fix a whole bunch of nicks/scratches and a quality paint job, $3-4k (all at a shop) I'd guess and you lose durability.
Have a shop fix all of the gelcoat and polish it = less than re-painting it.
Buy some gelcoat paste, patch all the nicks yourself, rough sand yourself, send it to a bodyshop for say wetsanding 20%?? of the boat and buff and polish the entire boat. $1500? ($300 for your materials + your labor 1 weekend+$1200 for a day and a half at shop rates). Or spend another couple hundred on a polisher and the proper compounds and another weekend of your labor and have the boat looking like new with the pride you fixed it yourself. There aer many people here that can walk you through the process, myself included and whn you're done you'll have all the tools and materials in your posession to fix anything else as it comes up through use of the boat.

bjw444
07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
wakegraphics.com 2500 bucks roughly

milehigh970
07-13-2011, 02:21 PM
+1 for what Thrall said