PDA

View Full Version : How to drive my 200 ProStar OB

icprey
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi guys,

Just got a great deal ($3000) on a 1988 ProStar 200 OB with a 225hp Johnson on the back. While not the greatest skier or boarder by any means the size and quality of the boat for the price beat out any other selection for me. I love the interior space and it runs so much better than the runabout 15ft I previously had. I have a friend who is a good skier and I want to try and make the best pull possible.

So far just trying to get accustomed to the boat there are two fairly major issues that come up.

My buddy wanted to try and race and no matter what I did the front was hopping up and down when trimmed up to run top speed on smooth water, and even when trying to cruise around it has a tendency for the front to hop up and down on anything other than little trim, quite a bit more than other boats I have been in. Fixes or driving technique suggestions for this?

Therefore when trying to run fast and smooth (practising for when my buddy will ski behind) I have found it necessary to lower the trim near the bottom to plow through the water and keep the nose steady. Is this the correct technique when pulling a skier? The boat with that engine does it relatively well, but you can feel it plowing though the water. Which way will create a minimal wake for skiers behind the boat and is best?

Open to any suggestions of any kind about the boat or driving techniques.

thx

agarabaghi
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
12 in the bow.

Dylan
06-23-2011, 11:40 AM
Welcome fellow outboarder!
From the limited reading I've done on those boats, the hull is relatively flat. How many people are you carrying? The more weight forward, the better. I experience similar effects when I have the back seat loaded down. There are other things to check as far as motor height, and trim positions if these don't help (however I am definitely not a great resource for this).

As far as driving, the best advice I can tell you is drive straight! Pick a reasonable spot on the horizon, and stick to the course (safely). Be observant to what/who is around you, and only tow in waters that you're familiar with. When in doubt, cut the throttle back to idle, assess the situation and use your best judgement. Good luck!

Shooter McKevin
06-23-2011, 11:50 AM
12 in the bow.

ROTFL.

icprey,

In case you haven't read the lawsuit thread, baghi was making a joke about a loser who put a ton of people in the bow of his boat and sued MasterCraft when the boat started to sink and he drove over them.

It sounds like you got an amazing deal on your PS200. Are you sure it isn't "4 easy payments of $3000"? I have a feeling someone will have tonnes of great advice for you regarding your specific boat. Unfortunately my input is minimal. I would guess that when pulling slalom, you want to trim it all the way down to get the softest wake and the truest tracking. That's how it was in my Banshee (15' OB). The porpoising with trim sounds pretty standard too. How fast does it go? Is it loud? (another inside joke?)

Welcome to the board.

Kevin

(I'll leave it open for the next guy who posts to demand some photos)

BROUSSARD
06-23-2011, 11:55 AM
.................................................. .................................you asked for it

onejdgreen
06-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Welcome and we definitely NEED to see pictures. In my limited experience with OB boats, I would say weight distribution is a factor. Maybe an add on hydrofoil on the motor...

icprey
06-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Ok here she is. I'm kind of embarassed by what the previous owner did if you notice the lettering on the side but it wasn't enough to deter me from picking it up. I'm going to have to get a huge sticker made to cover that up. The interior could use a refresh for sure but for my needs it will do just fine. Came with spare prop, driver side clip on mirror, original blue Mastercraft trailering cover in great shape and the original trailer as seen. Everyone really digs this boat and finding any used Mastercraft in my region is very difficult let alone anything slightly older cheaper. There wasn't the money there is now in the area back in the day.

The guy who I raced with said the same thing above the hydrofoil. He said we can test his on my engine and if it works I'll just re-use the same holes drilled for the install when I buy mine. Also I'm running a 19 pitch he said, great pull out of the water but definitely overrevving on top speed. Any suggestions what to try? One again my buddy is going to let me try a few he has 21-22-23 pitch props I believe.

It ran 50.8mph on GPS overrevving if anyone cares.

soacj
06-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Prior owner needs a swift kick in the posterior for that SN decal job.

Neat boat!

DooSPX
06-23-2011, 11:13 PM
PLEASE REMOVE THE SKI NAUTIQUE DECALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice boat other than that. some TLC would make it really nice. Great price.

onejdgreen
06-23-2011, 11:23 PM
I WOULD BEAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER FOR PUTTING THOSE UGLY STICKERS ON THAT BOAT!!!:rant:

barefoot
06-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you need a little weight in the bow. Maybe a few 50lb sand bags would keep it from bouncing.

chawk610
06-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Roomy boat... I absolutely cannot believe the decals... they should come right off!!! :) That's like putting yamaha tank badge on a Harley!

BoulderX45
06-24-2011, 04:00 PM
Now I understand why the boat was so inexpensive! Its that Ski Nautique sticker:D

I would also guess that the ride issue is based on to much weight in the back of the boat for the speed you're traveling.

Enjoy you new toy!

Shooter McKevin
06-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Very cool boat.

There's a ton of different techniques on the forum for decal removal and buffing out the fade marks. Do a search, you'll find some good tips.

2RLAKE
06-24-2011, 04:12 PM
we put a couple of 50 lbs bags in the nose of ours ... helps out tremendously. MC moved the gas tank to the front at some point ... can't remember the year. When you start out, make sure the trim is all the way down, then you can start to trim up the motor to find that spot at which it will not porpoise

I removed all the decals on ours last spring and a good buffing brought the shine right back to the gelcoat

Some new MasterCraft doomed decals down the side would look great

welcome to the fun

krbaugh
06-24-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a 89 again....long story that boat will not go fast some weight in the front might help some but it is going to porpoise all over the place if you trim it

ghind
06-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't know that specific hull at all but outboard ski boats can be tweaked easily enough. If you unbolt the engine and lift it up higher, it should help. Is it already in the highest position on the bolts?

I'd recommend registering at www.hydrodyners.com the hydrodyne web site is where the world's most experienced outboard ski boat drivers, builders and fitters hang out.

icprey
06-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

I wish it was as easy as removing the stickers. The boat recceived a fresh paint job a few years back and the SKI NAUTIQUE is PAINTED on in blue with a yellow fade around the lettering, his wifes name painted on the front hull in two other colors to an original white,blue with red striping repaint. Really unbelievable the decisions some people make. I have five freakin colors painted on the side of the boat.

Yes from the info I have the tank is located at the back of the boat. Plenty of weight going on at the back with that big engine there. Maybe I'll try the sandbags to see if they help.