PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks

ctjahn
06-23-2011, 09:25 AM
So....

I am thinking of buying us a couple kayaks for christmas. We have kayak'ed a bit in the past but not experienced by any means. Very much novices....

Intention is to go on rivers and small lakes. No rapids. No over-night trips or extended trips... Just a little

I have been looking around and I am considering a Pelican Escape 100 SE. (10 foot Poly; we are both small - 5'8 and under 150)

Any thoughts? (no it isnt a mastercraft but... I figured someone should have experience here?)

Cj

plunk77
06-23-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm no expert, but we have two kayaks. couldn't tell you the brand or the model but one is a single person and one is a two person. But they are both ocean kayaks- the kind you sit of top of, not in. It's my understanding that if you were to flip the sit in ones that they sink which if you were on a small lake would be a bad situation. admittedly, i'm 6'8" 310 lbs so i flip all the time and i probably wouldn't fit in a sit in one. but its just my 2 cents

stuartmcnair
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
we bought our son a pelican Apex 116 and he loves it...great for lake situations

biggest thing to decide is if you want a sit on or sit in

DemolitionMan
06-23-2011, 11:27 AM
You can still go through rapids on the open top.

aquaman
06-23-2011, 11:36 AM
I have been using touring sea-kayaks for about 8 yrs.

Sit-on tops are the most comfortable. The longer (11-17 ft.) kayaks are more stable and easier to paddle in open water. The shorter ones are best for rivers + rapids. We like to go in the spring and fall when the water gets too cool to ski.

Perception and Ocean kayaks are my favs.

bigmac
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
If you're just going to paddle around the lake, consider a Hobie Mirage (http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/oasis/). I have a Mirage Oasis tandem. It works great with one person. I also have a sail kit, which is a blast. Especially with two people is extremely fast...so fast, they come with a speedometer. With the high-speed fins, a buddy and I got the thing up to almost 10 mph by GPS.

http://static.hobiecat.com/www/images/Fin-MotionSDW200px.gif

http://www.austinkayak.com/images/productShots/additional/1140.jpg

blakehardesty
06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I have had many kayaks in my day. Go with a sit-on-top or you will regret it. I boycotted them for years till i finally broke down and got one. Havnt used the sit in since!!

ctjahn
06-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks everyone!

I was thinking sea kayak but I am not sure I want to spend $2k each on them...

More detail: We hope to build on Lake Sinisippi off the Horicon Marsh, so we may paddle across the lake and into the marsh. We would take them up to Tomahawk and cruise around too. This would be our intro to kayaks so I dont expect to keep them for ever. If we like it we may upgrade in the future if not, I dont want to be 5k in the hole...

I didnt expect this much feedback on an MC (non kayak forum) but all great stuff. Again it shows what a great community this is.

Thank you
Cj

shepherd
06-23-2011, 01:33 PM
This may be a dumb question, but on-topic I think.

Are 2-seater kayaks easy to paddle when you're solo? Any more difficult than a 1-seater? I've been thinking about getting (my first) kayak for a couple years. A sea kayak for cruising around the bay and off the beach, maybe some fishing. I would probably mostly go solo, but would like to be able to take the wife along for a few rides now and then. Or should she just get her own kayak and hope she uses it?

aquaman
06-23-2011, 01:35 PM
go online and shop the sit-on top touring length kayaks.

i did not spend more than $1,200 ea for mine.

well worth it, no regrets. :)

ctjahn
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
This may be a dumb question, but on-topic I think.

Are 2-seater kayaks easy to paddle when you're solo? Any more difficult than a 1-seater? I've been thinking about getting (my first) kayak for a couple years. A sea kayak for cruising around the bay and off the beach, maybe some fishing. I would probably mostly go solo, but would like to be able to take the wife along for a few rides now and then. Or should she just get her own kayak and hope she uses it?

Good Question!

ctjahn
06-23-2011, 01:49 PM
go online and shop the sit-on top touring length kayaks.

i did not spend more than $1,200 ea for mine.

well worth it, no regrets. :)

Will do! Initally I was looking at Sea Kayak that you sat in...

mayo93prostar
06-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Shep, I used to have a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 145T tandem kayak and it was useable in solo configuration. the back seat could slide forward when solo so it was more in the middle. this is a sit in. I sold that in hopes of getting two single kayaks for kids. We also have two Wilderness Systems Pungo 120s that are reasonable to use. Look for used ones on line. Key factors in deciding what type include how you are going to use it but the features are sit-in or sit-on and rudder or no rudder. Key for comfort is the seat and the experts say to not skimp on the paddle. We bought kevlar paddles that are lighter than fiberglass/plastic ones and they are great. Good luck in finding something for your needs. They are fun because you can go in very shallow water.