PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump problem HELP

etnovass
06-22-2011, 10:44 PM
I was on the lake this weekend and my 2006 x 45 8.1 stopped running. I couldnít hear the fuel pump come on. I checked to see if i had power at the fuel tank connecter and i did so i thought i had a bad fuel pump. I pulled the module out and it was filled to the top with fuel. The fuel pump connecters were under fuel. My first question Is it correct to have the fuel pump prongs under fuel? When i pulled the pump out i checked to see if i was getting power at the pump and i had no power. After messing with the connecters i got power to the pump. I put it all back together and now the fuel pump comes on but i donít get fuel pressure at the fuel rail. None of this makes since to me. Iím thinking about going to get a fuel module from mastercraft but not sure why the pump stopped running and when i dried the pump out it turned on but with no pressure at the rail. Any help would be great.

Matt L.
06-23-2011, 01:54 AM
Have you run it out of fuel ever? Submerged connections shouldn't matter, fuel doesn't conduct. I'll venture a guess that the pump part is internally damaged from running dry. They are designed to be cooled by the fuel flowing through the pump. Run it dry and it will overheat rapidly and go out.

Good Luck,

Matt

JLeuck64
06-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Two ways a fuel pump can fail. The electrical side, and the mechanical side. The best way to determine which failed is by checking voltage on the power side and the ground side AND checking fuel pressure output. You have almost checked half of the total equation ( ;

Jerseydave
06-23-2011, 04:52 AM
No pressure at rail sounds like a bad pump (or regulator,also part of the module)

Jim@BAWS should be able to help you with a new pump module. I just changed mine after 325 hours even though it was still working......I'm trying to avoid being towed.

woobiedmd
06-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Hey Dave, I thought being towed was a right of passage for a boat owner! Of course it hasn't happenned to me,yet! I probably just jinxed myself!