PDA

View Full Version : 82 restoration S@S questions

old blue
06-22-2011, 04:16 PM
OK here is some before pics

The motor (351w PCM) has a cracked block and will be rebuilt.

My big question now is about paint. The light blue is worn down the
bottom from being beached and there are chips on the bottom edges that need to be filled so I am thinking of repainting the light blue. I'd like to keep the metal flake, but the clear is worn off so I'll need to reapply clear. I have a new decal set coming.

What paint products should I use for this? Spectrum does not carry the light blue color. I've painted boats before using interlux brightside and their light blue is pretty close.

I've seen a lot of the great old boats on the site and I hope I can live up to the standards!

Thank you,

Kent

oxberger
06-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Old Blue, Welcome to the site! That's an awesome boat you got. I hope you got a good deal on it. Unfortunately, I can't help you out with your repainting question, but I'm sure some the other guys on here will be able to chime in with their expertise. There are a lot of guys on here that have restored the old SS. Make sure you post lots of pictures of everything you do.

old blue
06-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks, I really love this old boat. I've had it since 89 and it's lived in the water on the lift ever since. I've really worn it out, but their is no other boat I'd rather have at any price. My brother has a 2000 open bow with all the modern stuff and he and I would rather ski and drive the 82.

kent

chawk610
06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Love it... Pics of the inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03geetee
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
That boat just needs a lot of compounding and buffing and maybe a new decal here and there when the new shiny finish starts to show! You have a great foundation to work with there I wouldnt resort to a repaint just yet!

JTR

old blue
06-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Here is how the inside looks now. Not so pretty. I had the interior redone once about ten years ago. Made the mistake of not checking on the staples. Rusted out all over. The threads were also too thin. I'm cutting new plywood for the seats now.

Cloaked
06-22-2011, 06:57 PM
That is not paint (to be repainted) nor a clear coat. You're talking automotive finishes. This is another animal. Read up on how to deal with the gelcoat. Painting can be done, but you're changing horses somewhere upstream.

The metalflake admixture was put there within the mold at a particular stage as was the color, etc.

old blue
06-22-2011, 07:12 PM
That is not paint (to be repainted) nor a clear coat.

thanks,

Clear coat, I should have been more clear, I meant clear gel coat. I've buffed the thing a number of times over the years and I don't think there is gel coat left over parts of the metal flake. The light blue is worn off down the keel. (previous owner beached it a lot)

Do I just need to color match gel coat to the bottom and clear gel coat the metal flake?

I've worked with gel coat before, but not matching color.

old blue
06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
That boat just needs a lot of compounding and buffing and maybe a new decal here and there when the new shiny finish starts to show! You have a great foundation to work with there I wouldnt resort to a repaint just yet!

JTR

Thanks

I spent a long time going over your tread. Sweet boat. Nice work. I'll have many more questions to be sure.

Kent

Cloaked
06-22-2011, 09:28 PM
thanks,

Clear coat, I should have been more clear, I meant clear gel coat. I've buffed the thing a number of times over the years and I don't think there is gel coat left over parts of the metal flake. The light blue is worn off down the keel. (previous owner beached it a lot)

Do I just need to color match gel coat to the bottom and clear gel coat the metal flake?

I've worked with gel coat before, but not matching color.Have you wet-sanded it yet?

bailey78
06-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Is that boat from lakemilton ,ohio?

old blue
06-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Have you wet-sanded it yet?

No, I hope I'm wrong, but I think I've buffed out the clear already. Tomorrow I'll try and let you know. I'd love to not have to paint. What about the bare spots on bottom? I'll click a photo tomorrow.

Slinkyredfoot
06-22-2011, 09:52 PM
You got a handful dude. I painted and clear coated my 79SS and after 5 years it still looks like new. Happy I did it. Do not let the naysayers sway what you want to do.

Don't mess with your the metal flake, it will rub out and look great with great pains on your part, new graphics on this will look great.

Do not paint the bottom, mine is so scratched up and looks average at best but what can you expect from gelcoat after 30 years, still a classic and runs so well.

I can turn you on to a guy who refurbs many old boats and the results look so good with lasting durability, my old 79 is a classic example. He would be happy to talk to you about what you would like to do.

Cool stuff

old blue
06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Is that boat from lakemilton ,ohio?

No, Long Lake Washington. I bought it in the tri-cities WA. Owner claimed it was LaPoints boat for a year and pulled the show at SeaWorld San Diego. I really did not believe the story at the time. I had reworked a 79 from Lake Tapps, WA and did not want a new boat. My wife and brother purchased the boat while I was in the bathroom. I owned two for a year. Love this boat, but still miss the 79. My first boat. Soft pull, great wake, simple boat. Had the LTD interior. The 82 is a Powerslot. Pulls like mule. What can I say, I like the old stuff.

DemolitionMan
06-22-2011, 10:01 PM
You got a handful dude. I painted and clear coated my 79SS and after 5 years it still looks like new. Happy I did it. Do not let the naysayers sway what you want to do.

Don't mess with your the metal flake, it will rub out and look great with great pains on your part, new graphics on this will look great.

Do not paint the bottom, mine is so scratched up and looks average at best but what can you expect from gelcoat after 30 years, still a classic and runs so well.

I can turn you on to a guy who refurbs many old boats and the results look so good with lasting durability, my old 79 is a classic example. He would be happy to talk to you about what you would like to do.

Cool stuff

Like Slinky said don't be afraid of paint and clear coat, this was done 10 years ago.

Slinkyredfoot
06-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Like Slinky said don't be afraid of paint and clear coat, this was done 10 years ago.

Words of wisdom, I am still so jealous of this beautiful ride.

old blue
06-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Read your thread. Unbelievable boat. Two Questions. 1) What paint/coatings did you use. 2) The tinted windshield, did you tint the original plexiglass or replace the whole thing? A major reason we got rid of our 79' was the windshield broke. I put a replacement piece in the middle and made it look like a walk thru. I never liked it though.

Cool boat.

Kent

TNPIG
06-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I have an 84 SS that looks really good, but I would like to put a good shine to it over the Winter. What is the best process to do this as far as products and what to do?

old blue
04-12-2012, 09:19 PM
OK, been off line for a while. sorry.

Here is what I've been doing.

Motor rebuild complete.

Edelbrock intake manifold, Mallory electronic distributor, Plug wires, rebuilt long block, rebuilt stock holly carb new PCM starter. Paint pointiac blue and ford blue. Still to do-- new coil, new flame arrestor.

old blue
04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
My new problem is this pylon. Dissimilar metals... I've read other threads about this, but what is the best solution?

New base and 3inch new pylon? put this one back in and cosmetic cure? I could use a good idea.

Bilge work this weekend!!! Paint and then mufflers, steering cables and wire harness ect.

Thanks to all!

03geetee
04-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Keep up the good work man!

JTR