PDA

View Full Version : New Owner, Old Boat Checking In

d2jp
06-22-2011, 12:13 PM
After looking around CL for a couple of years, I finally found my dream used boat - a 1989 MC ProStar 190 Powerslot with 320 hours. It's been upgraded to EI but other than that is all stock. The owner had all of the original manuals for the engine, transmission, boat and a catalog from 1989. The driver's seat is a little rough, with the bottom vinyl cracked, I just cover it w/ a towel at this point. The other vinyl and the carpet looks good, especially given it's age. It's all been cleaned and now being treated w/ 303.
I buffed the hull (beige/blue), it looks nice, a lot of the shine came back - but at this point, I bought the boat to use, not 'restore' so my plans are to ski now and then really detail it before winterization. A more serious buffing and/or wet sanding will bring it back to 'like new'.
I hope to stay on top of the mechanical aspects, any and all tips are welcome for things to look for and take care of! The Indmar 351 seems pretty bullet-proof. The trailer needed new bearings and races...and my steep driveway is going to require drag wheels or some other work-around.
My boating ownership/experience has been Boston Whaler and other center console o/b's, and a few i/o's. But, my wife and both like to ski (now in our late 40's) and our two teenage daughters are learning to slalom...so after looking for a while, I feel like I've found the perfect boat for us!

Pictures coming soon!
Jack

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2011, 12:18 PM
After looking around CL for a couple of years, I finally found my dream used boat - a 1989 MC ProStar 190 Powerslot with 320 hours. It's been upgraded to EI but other than that is all stock. The owner had all of the original manuals for the engine, transmission, boat and a catalog from 1989. The driver's seat is a little rough, with the bottom vinyl cracked, I just cover it w/ a towel at this point. The other vinyl and the carpet looks good, especially given it's age. It's all been cleaned and now being treated w/ 303.
I buffed the hull (beige/blue), it looks nice, a lot of the shine came back - but at this point, I bought the boat to use, not 'restore' so my plans are to ski now and then really detail it before winterization. A more serious buffing and/or wet sanding will bring it back to 'like new'.
I hope to stay on top of the mechanical aspects, any and all tips are welcome for things to look for and take care of! The Indmar 351 seems pretty bullet-proof. The trailer needed new bearings and races...and my steep driveway is going to require drag wheels or some other work-around.
My boating ownership/experience has been Boston Whaler and other center console o/b's, and a few i/o's. But, my wife and both like to ski (now in our late 40's) and our two teenage daughters are learning to slalom...so after looking for a while, I feel like I've found the perfect boat for us!

Pictures coming soon!
Jack

Welcome to Team Talk and congrats on the purchase. Sounds like a nice find Jack, but I don't know what you mean by an old boat. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

oxberger
06-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the board Jack!!! That boat's not old, it's experienced. You'll love that boat for sure and now you'll never buy another brand boat again. Congrats!