PDA

View Full Version : Starter issues?

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 07:55 AM
2006 Mastercraft X1 w/ mcx engine.

Started the boat yesterday fired up fine. Putted to the middle of the lake, shut down boat, started running ballast and listening to music. Once ballast was full we went to start the boat and it started to turn over but you tell it was stuggling, and finally it just stopped turning over. Thought it was the battery so i overrode the battery isolator so it would crank from both batteries, but I didn't even get a sound. I opened the engine hatch and put my ear near the starter to listen while my friend cranked and i could here a faint click right when he would turn the key. I took a screw driver and hammer and tapped on the solenoid and he crank it and it engaged and fired up. Seems to me the solenoid / bendix (sp?) might be getting seized up.

Is it possible to grease / lube this part? If so how and where am i looking?

Thanks!

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Also, if needed, is this the starter to replace mine with?

http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA122009

JimN
06-22-2011, 08:48 AM
2006 Mastercraft X1 w/ mcx engine.

Started the boat yesterday fired up fine. Putted to the middle of the lake, shut down boat, started running ballast and listening to music. Once ballast was full we went to start the boat and it started to turn over but you tell it was stuggling, and finally it just stopped turning over. Thought it was the battery so i overrode the battery isolator so it would crank from both batteries, but I didn't even get a sound. I opened the engine hatch and put my ear near the starter to listen while my friend cranked and i could here a faint click right when he would turn the key. I took a screw driver and hammer and tapped on the solenoid and he crank it and it engaged and fired up. Seems to me the solenoid / bendix (sp?) might be getting seized up.

Is it possible to grease / lube this part? If so how and where am i looking?

Thanks!

Yeah, it's possible and it's required for the scheduled maintenance but since nobody wants to go to the dealers for anything, it's not being done. You need to remove the starter, rotate the gear so it rides up the shaft and clean/lube it. If it's rusty, have it rebuilt- there's no reason to just replace it.

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Clean it with say a wire brush? and lube it with say some silicone grease?

JimN
06-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Clean it with say a wire brush? and lube it with say some silicone grease?

Silicone grease will melt and run off- use white lithium or other marine-rated grease. If you can keep the gear extended, use solvent for the caked-on grease (if there's any left) but if it's rusted, you'll never be able to get to all of it.

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Just read the manual section on it.

What are the chances that my starter has seen it's life? Any way to actually know if the lubrication / greasing has resolved it, or is it only temporary fix

RMUDBUGS
06-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Don't take any chances. Take it off and take it to the nearest starter/alternator shop to have it rebuilt. I had to be towed in when mine went out last year. I had it rebuilt for less then 100.

agarabaghi
06-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Pulled the starter out, it didn't look to bad but im guessing what ever is damaged is on the inside. Ordered a new one, but i cleaned the this one up and lubed it. Going to put it back in tomorrow and see how it runs. Yesterday it worked right away and for about 2 - 3 more cranks after we docked, but then after letting it sit, it seized up again.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/337/imageavu.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3664/imageodc.jpg

agarabaghi
06-23-2011, 07:57 AM
what is that bearing looking piece on the shaft? It just spins but does not slide up or down ...

02ProstarSammyD
06-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Man that bad boy looks old and crusty. Take it to a starter shop and have them rebuild it. Cheapers

agarabaghi
06-23-2011, 08:11 AM
The new one was pretty cheap. I am going to have that rebuilt also and keep as a spare. I guess it has turned the boat on an off for 1,000 hours

JimN
06-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Pulled the starter out, it didn't look to bad but im guessing what ever is damaged is on the inside. Ordered a new one, but i cleaned the this one up and lubed it. Going to put it back in tomorrow and see how it runs. Yesterday it worked right away and for about 2 - 3 more cranks after we docked, but then after letting it sit, it seized up again.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/337/imageavu.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3664/imageodc.jpg

See those lines of different colors? They mean your starter has been in that much water and is toast. The rusty ring at the end shows this, too. Your solenoid is crusty and if you don't rotate the gear backward, it won't climb.

I don't know how much the new one will cost but I pay less than $75 for a rebuild on the same starter.

agarabaghi
06-23-2011, 09:57 AM
Good to know. Hopefully new starter will arrive on friday.

Table Rocker
06-23-2011, 10:02 AM
what is that bearing looking piece on the shaft? It just spins but does not slide up or down ...
It keeps the starter gear from grinding into the nose of the housing when it throws forward. A little lube there will reduce friction.

With 1000 hours on a MasterCraft, there is no telling how many starts that thing has made. The insulation can wear thin on your field coils and they can arc on the motor housing causing slow cranking even after the bearings and brushes have been replaced. You will be happy with a new starter.

agarabaghi
06-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Yea, and im not sure when the water level ever got that high. Ill just blame the PO =P...

02ProstarSammyD
06-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I can't believe a starter would make it 1000hrs but it looks like that one did. My boat is on its 3rd I believe at 500hrs

agarabaghi
06-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I am not sure if the starter has been replaced on this boat. As far as I know this is the original starter.

Jim@BAWS
06-23-2011, 03:41 PM
I am not sure if the starter has been replaced on this boat. As far as I know this is the original starter.

Not original...your starter went out today UPS..Instate 1 day

If it was original it would be black

Jim

agarabaghi
06-23-2011, 03:43 PM
cool cool. thanks jim!

Im going to pm about some vinyls and covers.

Thanks again...

agarabaghi
06-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Not original...your starter went out today UPS..Instate 1 day

If it was original it would be black

Jim

Starter and fuel sender arrived. Installed starter, works like a champ. Going to install fuel sender when the storm clears. Thanks again! I will mail back one of the senders as soon as I have tested the new one.