PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal??

hoosier daddy
06-21-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm looking to purchase a 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes Edition. It has an Indmar 351 rebuilt 5 years ago. The interior was restored 3 years ago to original colors. It's an exceptionally clean boat.

The best NADA price I can come up with is around $3,500...it's gotta be worth more than that! I can't find the "Stars and Stripes" option on NADA. It seems most of them I've seen listed for sale have been around the $10,000 + range.

Can someone give me an idea of worth or what would be a good deal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

aarosurf
06-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Pictures or a link?

SWeaver
06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Nada is worthless for older boats. Dont even bother with it, unless the seller is stupid and you can use it to your advantage.

A mint 1984 s&s could be around 6-7k around here..but location, condition, trailer etc make it a wide range.

blakehardesty
06-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I bought my 84 last spring for $6k. It is similar to you. New interior and carpet. Exeptionally clean. Hope that helps.

east tx skier
06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
I didn't think there were OEM Indmar powered boats until 87 at the earliest. Sounds like a new engine might have been dropped in there instead of just a rebuild.

Hanse1
06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
I had an 84 stars and stripes, that came with a Pleasurecraft Marine engine. Everyone that I have seen had a PCM. Also that was the first year with fiberglass stringers. Pictures would really help, but the going rate is between 5 and 10k depending on condition and hours. Dont forget the trailer, that can have an effect on price too.

Stars & Stripes
06-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I sold my 83 (with fiberglass stringers) last summer over the phone for $7,500 to a guy out of state. He had only seen pictures of the boat. I personally wish that I would have kept it because it was mint and ran absolutely perfect. The S&S series is hard to find in mint condition. Any S&S in mint condition is worth more than $3,500.

blakehardesty
06-21-2011, 11:12 AM
I didn't think there were OEM Indmar powered boats until 87 at the earliest. Sounds like a new engine might have been dropped in there instead of just a rebuild.

I didnt catch that. Mine is a PCM 351 for sure.

hoosier daddy
06-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks y'all for the advice!

I will try to get back by his place with my camera/iphone this evening. It is the tan and brown color combination. I am going by what I was told on the motor, like some of you, I feel like the motor is a replacement rather than a rebuild, based on being told it was an Indmar. From research, all the '84s I have found have the PCM from factory.

I wouldn't call the boat "mint"...it is exceptionally clean. The nicest thing is the guy that redid/restored it stayed with the factory color combination in the interior.

The trailer is in pretty good shape. My understanding is the boat when purchased new was placed in a climate controlled dry stack storage and the trailer set outside. Me being me...if I buy it, I will sandblast and repaint the trailer. It is a tandem trailer and has the Mastercraft logo on it, but I haven't seen many with a tandem set up. Was that an option??

I'm not a "freak" when it comes to the originality of the boat, but I want it as close to original as possible.

I believe the guy owes $7,800 from the loan when he purchased it. I can pick it up for that. My gut tells me to buy it! But like everything else, I have to be aware of resale value "just in case" I want to sell it at a later date.

Again, thanks so far for the advice and direction. This is my first time here, and I gotta tell you, you guys are great. I've been around other forums and sometimes you're completely ignored if you're a "newbie"! :)

Any more direction would be appreciated guys!

hoosier daddy
06-21-2011, 11:58 AM
That is a sweet looking S&S, Blake!

oxberger
06-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the board! If you buy that boat you'll love it. If it's a rebuilt Indmar, that would be a concern because to the best of my knowledge and all the info I've found, that year came with the PCM 351w. How many hours on the rebuilt engine? The trailer is does not sound original to me for that year. All of the original trailers from that era that I've seen have been single axle. Can't wait to see the pics. My .02 is that it's slightly over priced at $7,800. Sounds more like $6,500 to me especially without the original motor.

hoosier daddy
06-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Here's a couple poor quality images of the boat the owner texted me...

It does have a brand new teak swim platform on it as well.

hoosier daddy
06-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Welcome to the board! If you buy that boat you'll love it. If it's a rebuilt Indmar, that would be a concern because to the best of my knowledge and all the info I've found, that year came with the PCM 351w. How many hours on the rebuilt engine? The trailer is does not sound original to me for that year. All of the original trailers from that era that I've seen have been single axle. Can't wait to see the pics. My .02 is that it's slightly over priced at $7,800. Sounds more like $6,500 to me especially without the original motor.

Thanks ox, I have a feeling I'll really enjoy being a part of this forum! I will really press the guy on the motor brand. Is there a way to identify the mfg on the motor? I did notice it had an edelbrock carb, which I doubted was OEM. The guy has no idea on the hours. The meter says just over 1,000. He says that was accurate for the boat, not the motor. The trailer is nice, just has some very slight surface rust. I'll go back and see if I can find a tag on the trailer. I prefer the tandem over a single personally, I just kinda wished it was original :)

Ski-me
06-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Looks very similar to one here in the Denver area. This is a 1983, so I guess it would have wood stringers???? Low hours and $7,000.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/boa/2422544972.html

Nice condition though.

hoosier daddy
06-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Looks very similar to one here in the Denver area. This is a 1983, so I guess it would have wood stringers???? Low hours and $7,000.

Nice condition though.

Do you know if the tan/brown combination was offered only in '84? I guess I should have looked closer at the hull i.d. I assume MC hulls are like other boats with mfg date in the hull on transom?

ChandlerR
06-21-2011, 12:37 PM
That looks like an I/O trailer. The prop would hit the rear frame on a shallow ramp.

blakehardesty
06-21-2011, 12:41 PM

Nice condition though.

They switched the stringer mid year 83. They might be fiberglass.

oxberger
06-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks ox, I have a feeling I'll really enjoy being a part of this forum! I will really press the guy on the motor brand. Is there a way to identify the mfg on the motor? I did notice it had an edelbrock carb, which I doubted was OEM. The guy has no idea on the hours. The meter says just over 1,000. He says that was accurate for the boat, not the motor. The trailer is nice, just has some very slight surface rust. I'll go back and see if I can find a tag on the trailer. I prefer the tandem over a single personally, I just kinda wished it was original :)

Identifying the motor shouldn't be too hard. The easiest way is the valve covers and the manifolds, both should have PCM (Pleasure Craft Marine) on them. The original carb that was on that was a holly 4160 I believe. I'd be concerned with that trailer though, it looks like it was modified to fit that boat and you may have issues depending on the ramp you use. I too like the tandem axle, but my single does a great job and was made for the boat so it sits on it at all the right points. You may be able to find one that needs to be refurbished and sell that trailer once the refrub is done.

chawk610
06-21-2011, 04:54 PM
My '83 (also with fiberglass stringers) has the Ford 351 Windsor motor, which I think is what they came with. I paid 5k... but it needed and still needs a little TLC (not much) but some.