PDA

View Full Version : Drunken Boaters Crackdown

Slinkyredfoot
06-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Article I read in USA Today, had several people pulled over this weekend on our lake getting checked. Beware.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=greenvilleonline&sParam=48668226.story

oldairboater
06-21-2011, 07:42 AM
I have no doubt that there are people on the water under the influence but I am not one of them. I don't enjoy these courtesy boat inspections and I really don't like seeing law enforcement on the water. Luckily they usually harass the jet skis.

DooSPX
06-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I, on the other hand, am glad to see LEO's on the lake. They keep the drunk and stupid idiots at bay!

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I, on the other hand, am glad to see LEO's on the lake. They keep the drunk and stupid idiots at bay!

I like to see the DNR just not around my boat.

DooSPX
06-21-2011, 08:54 AM
They stopped me once, but after that they have not even looked at me.

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
They stopped me once, but after that they have not even looked at me.

They come through our cove twice a day 9am and 5pm everyday.

DooSPX
06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
That's actually more then they do here.

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 09:09 AM
They have cracked down on our lake, and it is a 71,000 acre lake.

DooSPX
06-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Our lake is only 9,212 acres.... Of course, cannot use it right now... too low.... I hate is... (insert frown smilie)

DemolitionMan
06-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Our lake is only 9,212 acres.... Of course, cannot use it right now... too low.... I hate is... (insert frown smilie)

I would figure a lake that size would have some deep ramps.

blakehardesty
06-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Dang... My lake is only ~800 acres

DooSPX
06-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I would figure a lake that size would have some deep ramps.

nope... the ramp were built when the lake was 12 feet higher... Our lake has been 12ft low for 10 years.... but now its so low it looks like it will dry up. ): Most all the docks on the lake are out of the water and have been for about 10 years...

scott023
06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Less drunkards the better I always say.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Less drunkards the better I always say.

Agreed for on the lake. My back yard, however, may not apply.

scott023
06-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Agreed for on the lake. My back yard, however, may not apply.

Correct, I should've specified on the water. :D

caden
06-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Always happy to see the TWRA on our lake. One stopped by the dock a few weekends ago and talked. Introduced himself, asked if the kids had their certificate/license for the boat and jet skis, they do, and said they were going to check for license a lot more from now on. Glad to hear it. They seem to stop most jet skis with teen drivers and pontoon boats with large groups.

kenk
06-21-2011, 10:58 PM
While I don't support drunk driving or boating, I also don't support being stopped and questioned by cops...or anyone..for no reason at all. If you are driving recklessly...maybe OK. We are losing our rights and freedoms right before our eyes. I've seen cops abuse boaters on a TV series called "AQUAPALOSSA"...(water parties)....the cops treat the boaters like they are criminals...the cops think they own the water!...it makes me sick to my stomach!...They stop you and search you to try to find anything they can...this is the USA not NAZI Germany!...these people are more interested in ruining your life and/or gainful employment then enforcing any laws...why because they CAN!

Gabe63
06-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Good, who wants drunk drivers?

kenk
06-21-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't want drunk drivers, I don't want inexperienced boat operators either, but I don't want to be abused by the water police!
Case in point...recently, I left my dock as the sun was going down to eat at a water accessible restaurant...a 35'-40' boat with about 10 people passed me heading into the cove...it was pitch black dark...he was stopped by water cops as he entered the cove....no reason...just because they could...I would consider this reckless especially since there was no cause and it was at night...I looked at this situation and turned around...went home...I don't have anything to hide...but don't feel like I need to prove it to the cops!

oldairboater
06-22-2011, 01:33 AM
We have the coast guard, state game wardens, federal game wardens, and local city and county cops on the water. Some are cooler then others but they are all in the way one time or other. In the past they have stopped us and used the excuse of not being able to see if we had a mirror. It is a Mastercraft with the stock mirror not impeded by anything. Seemed like they spent more time eyeballing the women then anything else. They then went on to do a do you have question session. I don't drink and I don't put up with drunks. I run several different boats and I have had to deal with these idiots at the boat ramps and on the water. They block the ramp with their boat and they stop boats on the water with skiers behind them. I actually will turn around and pick up my skier while making them follow me. Skiing, fishing, and hunting. Last holiday weekend they were checking registration billfold cards and turning around boats that couldn't produce them. It didn't matter if they had up to date registration stickers---you needed that billfold card also because it is required in this state. No they didn't turn me around. I have been doing this for over 47 years. I know the game. In fairness I do need to add this. I saw a state game warden cut some kids some slack over an expired state sticker. The kid told the game warden they just bought this used jet ski and were trying it out after repairing it. They also told him they were going to do the paper work asap. They let him go without a citation.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
I have been operating a wide range of watercraft up to 150' in length on waters from small lakes to large rivers and the great lakes for over 37 years. I have been stopped quite a few times over the years without ever a violation. Sure, it is an inconvenience, but I would rather have whichever brand of water patrol out there doing their job. I have seen many people operating boats that had no business doing so. I wouldn't want to see what it would be like without the patrol out there.

lanep82
06-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I can't stand the cops on the lakes in Texas. While I don't support drunk or inexperienced drivers, it has also been my experience that they just love arresting people. Hey, most of them have a quota that have to maintain. It also brings in a $ hit-load of money to the state..........

They treat people with little respect an assume that everyone is drunk and/or being unsafe.....just to make an extra buck for the county

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Tony Baretta said it best "Don't do the crime if you cant do the time."

I have never seen someone arrested for no reason. Jails are full of innocent people.

UofU2727
06-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Read that article too. I said something about boating and drinking a few months ago and got torn up by a few on here. I'll say it like I see it. It's your right to drink, I could care less. However, when you drink and drive (boat or car), you are endangering others and that isn't your right to end someone elses freedom. Other than that drink away until you fall over as far as I'm concerned just respect others and stay at the dock, don't get in the water (because I don't want my tax dollars spent to save you or find you) or drive the boat/car.

kskonn
06-22-2011, 12:44 PM
I can't stand the cops on the lakes in Texas. While I don't support drunk or inexperienced drivers, it has also been my experience that they just love arresting people. Hey, most of them have a quota that have to maintain. It also brings in a $ hit-load of money to the state..........

They treat people with little respect an assume that everyone is drunk and/or being unsafe.....just to make an extra buck for the county

I don't have this issue where I take my boat in Texas. The game wardens are all pretty reasonable guys, they will typically check you once a season for life jackets, throwable floating device etc... after one check they just wave and say Hi. They have never tried to pull me over while I was pulling someone behind the boat. I have seen them run down some jet skis and tubers before.

Are you in Austin? I have heard the Sherrifs in Austin are horrible.

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
done the crime, did the time... 2x....

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2011, 01:00 PM
done the crime, did the time... 2x....

There is an old saying.........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

oldairboater
06-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Not the case here. This is the gulf coast---might be we have a few more boats here. That plus I ain't inviting them home to supper. I see more stupid people at the boat ramps and docks than drunks. I really don't see that many people driving drunk. I have been doing this from birth. I grew up on the water. It is all around us here. From dealing with the different groups. Coast guard inspects everything but they are polite doing it and they do a good job of keeping their boat off of your boat. State game wardens most time approach us with an air of arrogance and disrespect. They suck at boat handling as a rule. County clowns are clowns. City locals are anal and really look for the mundane. The latest example was the billfold size boater registration card. This thread is really beating a dead dog and I am about through with it. There are those who love law enforcement and their are some that think it is inconvenient and over zealous. I don't have this issue where I take my boat in Texas. The game wardens are all pretty reasonable guys, they will typically check you once a season for life jackets, throwable floating device etc... after one check they just wave and say Hi. They have never tried to pull me over while I was pulling someone behind the boat. I have seen them run down some jet skis and tubers before.

oxberger
06-22-2011, 01:40 PM
I have been operating a wide range of watercraft up to 150' in length on waters from small lakes to large rivers and the great lakes for over 37 years. I have been stopped quite a few times over the years without ever a violation. Sure, it is an inconvenience, but I would rather have whichever brand of water patrol out there doing their job. I have seen many people operating boats that had no business doing so. I wouldn't want to see what it would be like without the patrol out there.

Didn't realize you were a captain Pete? How do you go from that to owning your own company? And so I don't thread jack, I'm not innocent when it comes to boating and drinking. Ignorance in youth (not an excuse)... and thank God I never hurt someone. Since then I've learned moderation (one beer while sitting in the cove for a few hours, the rest of the time is water).

kenk
06-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Just because you are on the water does not give the police the right to stop and seach you....
case in point again....for those who might have seen the TV show Aquapaloussa (about boating/rafting/water parties)...there were a number a mostly college age students canoeing down a small river/creek in Arkansas...the water cops formed a line across the river/creek and stopped and searched every canoe that came down...there was no reason or "due cause" for seaching and stopping these people...you could hear the cops say that they did'nt want these kids on "THEIR" water...it was clear that these cops wanted to arrest as many of these kids as they could!...it was also clear that they were abusing their authority!...if you're a boater and you think the cops had a right to stop these kids in canoes, then you deserve to be boarded and searched every time you enter the water...COPS ARE OUT OF CONTROL EVERYWHERE...don't let it happen to boaters!

lanep82
06-22-2011, 03:47 PM
I don't have this issue where I take my boat in Texas. The game wardens are all pretty reasonable guys, they will typically check you once a season for life jackets, throwable floating device etc... after one check they just wave and say Hi. They have never tried to pull me over while I was pulling someone behind the boat. I have seen them run down some jet skis and tubers before.

Lake Travis and Lake Austin are where I have seemed to have some run-ins and not-so-friendly encounters. I have also heard some horror stories...........

lanep82
06-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Just because you are on the water does not give the police the right to stop and seach you....
case in point again....for those who might have seen the TV show Aquapaloussa (about boating/rafting/water parties)...there were a number a mostly college age students canoeing down a small river/creek in Arkansas...the water cops formed a line across the river/creek and stopped and searched every canoe that came down...there was no reason or "due cause" for seaching and stopping these people...you could hear the cops say that they did'nt want these kids on "THEIR" water...it was clear that these cops wanted to arrest as many of these kids as they could!...it was also clear that they were abusing their authority!...if you're a boater and you think the cops had a right to stop these kids in canoes, then you deserve to be boarded and searched every time you enter the water...COPS ARE OUT OF CONTROL EVERYWHERE...don't let it happen to boaters!

In Texas, cops don't have to have 'probable cause' to approach and/or pull over your vessel. It is very different than a cop pulling someone over in a motor vehicle.

The air blowing up their rear end the wrong way one day is reason enough for them to stop you on a boat...............

I don't go out on the lake and get trashed by any means, and neither do my passengers but I do like to enjoy a tasty adult beverage while in the sun on the lake without having to worry about an overzealous uneducated policeman eyeballing me. Everything is perfectly legal, and ok, in moderation.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-22-2011, 05:58 PM

And what a coincidence that they had illegal drugs on them.

Slinkyredfoot
06-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Article I read in USA Today, had several people pulled over this weekend on our lake getting checked. Beware.

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=greenvilleonline&sParam=48668226.story

You know I should have said beware and be smart. I learned a long time ago don't be a dumba77 or a jerk on the water. Just my 2 fing cents since there are no smilies any more. wth

bailey78
06-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I think maybe you should not worry about long time boaters drinking and driving!! Maybe you should worry more about the people with to much money who think they need to own a Mastercraft for status in the neighborhood or lake !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Who can't even ski. Not even gonna say sorry for this post in advance.

KEEP ON FOOTIN' !!!!

Slinkyredfoot
06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
I appreciate the response to this thread. If for no other reason maybe we can all here take away the attitude of being respondsible boaters and being smart in everything we do on the water.

The Holidays are coming up, have fun and party down. Cool and totally wicked. What is up with no "smilies" anymore?

MNWild
06-22-2011, 08:49 PM

It does here in MN, with an inboard or an I/O, they can stop you and ask to see a fire exstinguisher.