PDA

View Full Version : Ballest Pump Operation

emnesto
06-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I'd like to begin using my stock ballest. Is there a recommended process for filling and emptying the tanks. For example: I know there are 3 controls for 3 tanks. Can I fill all 3 at the same time? Should I leave the switches in the fill position until the pump stops? I've seen the engin should be running at about 1500 rpm. Should the boat be moving, or not. When emptying, will the water come out through vents in the side of the boat, or below the water line? Again, drain all 3 at once or one at a time. And should the boat be moving during the drain down. Mastercraft Manual has very little about the operation. Thought member experience would be more useful. Thanks.

CantRepeat
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
I'd like to begin using my stock ballest. Is there a recommended process for filling and emptying the tanks. For example: I know there are 3 controls for 3 tanks. Can I fill all 3 at the same time? Should I leave the switches in the fill position until the pump stops? I've seen the engin should be running at about 1500 rpm. Should the boat be moving, or not. When emptying, will the water come out through vents in the side of the boat, or below the water line? Again, drain all 3 at once or one at a time. And should the boat be moving during the drain down. Mastercraft Manual has very little about the operation. Thought member experience would be more useful. Thanks.

I think the all the 06s came with the larger mainfold so you should be able to fill them all at the same time.

swatguy
06-21-2011, 11:22 PM
All at once is fine. I like filling while moving to the riding spot.........others like sitting and filling while they stretch before the set...........Just keep the boat running to maximize the "juice".

JRW160
06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
I typically fill one at a time, but it seems to take forever. I looked at the manifold and it looks like a 1" hose from the thru hull that gets split into 3 3/4" hoses that run to the pumps. I am planning to add a couple more thru hull intakes this winter, so each pump has its own water source. I'm no fluid engineer, but it seems like that 1" can almost supply enough water for 2 pumps running simultaneously, but definitely not for all 3.

CantRepeat
06-22-2011, 11:03 AM
I typically fill one at a time, but it seems to take forever. I looked at the manifold and it looks like a 1" hose from the thru hull that gets split into 3 3/4" hoses that run to the pumps. I am planning to add a couple more thru hull intakes this winter, so each pump has its own water source. I'm no fluid engineer, but it seems like that 1" can almost supply enough water for 2 pumps running simultaneously, but definitely not for all 3.

What year is your boat? On my 06 I have at least a 2.5 inch and could be a 3 inch thru hull with 1 inch feeder lines.

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I fill all 3 at the same time. But i empty the front 1st and the back last because the front will drain much quick and then the pump will run dry and risk dying.

kevkan
06-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I've got a 2008 X-1. I fill the tanks till water comes out the side of the boat. But when draining, is there some way to know when the tanks are empty?

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
when you drain water will come out of the sides of the boat, just watch till it starts the sputter and stop then turn the pumps off...

ttu
06-22-2011, 11:25 AM
when you drain water will come out of the sides of the boat, just watch till it starts the sputter and stop then turn the pumps off...

not on 07 and newer. they drain out of the bottom of the hull. :rolleyes:

Thrall
06-22-2011, 11:26 AM

I dunno about the 08 X1's, but the 07-up I think newer hull styles drain out the bottom of the boat, so you have to rely on the guage or listen carefully to the pumps to know when the tanks are empty. Bad idea IMO, let the water come out the side so thre's an easy visual when they're drained or the pump quits working.
If I had a newer boat, I'd try to switch the empty port to above waterline or put a manual drain that I could open up once the boat is on the trailer.

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 11:30 AM
I guess it would help if the OP would tell us what year his boat was.

JRW160
06-22-2011, 11:50 AM
What year is your boat? On my 06 I have at least a 2.5 inch and could be a 3 inch thru hull with 1 inch feeder lines.
Mine is a 2003 X2.

JRW160
06-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I've got a 2008 X-1. I fill the tanks till water comes out the side of the boat. But when draining, is there some way to know when the tanks are empty?
I haven't looked, but I assume on mine there is a check valve on the fill line and that is how water is forced out the sides of the boat when draining. I could be completely wrong, but it doesn't seem like that we be much trouble to add.

JRW160
06-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I guess it would help if the OP would tell us what year his boat was.

OP boat's is a 2006 X45 according to his sig

agarabaghi
06-22-2011, 12:49 PM
weird i cant see any sigs.

kevkan
06-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes, the 08 X-1 drains out the bottom, but does not have any guages, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a timer. I've been opening the center locker to watch the bag empty and knocking on the side of the tanks to determine if they are empty. I don't much care for the design.

I'm considering replacing the tanks with 750 lb bags, and adding the v shaped bag under the front. Just not sure if I wan't that much weight.

JRW160
06-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Yes, the 08 X-1 drains out the bottom, but does not have any guages, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a timer. I've been opening the center locker to watch the bag empty and knocking on the side of the tanks to determine if they are empty. I don't much care for the design.

I'm considering replacing the tanks with 750 lb bags, and adding the v shaped bag under the front. Just not sure if I wan't that much weight.
I just replaced my factory hard tanks with 750s, and I also havethe ski locker sack and the v shaped bag up front. You are going to need more weight in the nose if you plan on filling the 750s. When I fill the 750s, I have a 350lb sack in the walkway and another 350lb sack laying perpindicular to it across the seats in the bow. If I had to do it over again, I might have just gone with 550s instead.

Also, I'm not sure what the stock prop is on an 08 x1, but I had a 14x20 prop on mine, and it would barely plane out with the boat weighted. I just switched to a 14.2x14.5, and everything is fine.

emnesto
06-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all your help. My boat is an '06 X45, and I do get water out the sides when emptying. Do the guages reflect actual liquid in the tank, or the length of time the pump is running. I finally got all guages to empty, and I'm going to turn batteries off, then on, to reset the system. I'm also planning on replacing all 3 impellers this weekend with green. I'm still on the original impellers, so that should help.