PDA

View Full Version : What type of glue is best for this??

fentong
06-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Hello, my diver's side interior panel (where the throttle control is mounted) is loose and I took it off last night and noticed that two of the bolts / studs which are used to mount it to the boat came loose. The bolt has a flat washer for a head which is glued directly to the panel. I was hoping someone could provide a recommendation for some good glue to reattach them. I was thinking of using Gorilla Glue but wanted your input.

Regards

bigmac
06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Hello, my diver's side interior panel (where the throttle control is mounted) is loose and I took it off last night and noticed that two of the bolts / studs which are used to mount it to the boat came loose. The bolt has a flat washer for a head which is glued directly to the panel. I was hoping someone could provide a recommendation for some good glue to reattach them. I was thinking of using Gorilla Glue but wanted your input.

Regards

Known problem with boats of that vintage. MasterCraft quality at work. That panel can take a beating between the weight of your forearm and ongoing rough water. In my case, MasterCraft paid for the panel but I had to pay for the labor. It's a booger to switch out, unless you have arms as long as a gorilla.

AFAIK, and I looked hard at this, there's no good way to repair this. Polyester resin doesn't hold (the panel isn't fiberglass). Maybe epoxy and some glass cloth would work. Reinforce the crap out of the recess where the bolts go through. Others have just put some big-*** washers through the whole thing and screwed 'er down. As I said, I just got a whole new panel. That's held up just fine.

Look at this thread...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25315&highlight=panel

Lars
06-20-2011, 01:13 PM
if i'm understanding you correctly, some others have had that problem too (including me) search for driver panel or throttle panel and you should find a thread or two on what others did.