PDA

View Full Version : Wow Newer Skis make a BIG difference

tall_ andy
08-25-2004, 09:39 PM
I met up with njskier today and he let me borrow his HO for a set. WOW :eek3: what a difference!!!!! I am going to order the new ski tomorrow with the double wraps. If I had known what a difference there was I would have done it months ago!!!
Looks like the old Jobe Honeycomb will be up on ebay soon.
Thanks dave for letting me see the light :dance:

MasterCrafting
08-25-2004, 10:08 PM
I've found that the older skis dont keep up with you as well as the new ones. When i'm on a new one the ski stays right under me but, when i'm on the old honeycomb ep's they like to fall behind me a bit. I think the older skis are easier to just ride on but the newones crank like no other. :dance:

bradamerry
08-25-2004, 10:36 PM
I really like my new HO Charger. Much better than the old HO I had a few years back!

tall_ andy
08-25-2004, 11:15 PM
I think the HO that I used is a few (5-6) years old now. The Honeycomb I came off was new back in 82-83 I think.
If the new skis are even better than 5-6 years ago I really can't wait

bradamerry
08-26-2004, 08:54 AM
It does get better. There are some good threads on the old board about the new skis.

T Scott
08-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Andy-Another important thing to do is to have your ski professionally "tuned" at a ski school. They can dial it in to your style and skiing ability. You are spending a lot of money on a ski...spend the extra $$$ and have a professional set it up for you. Well worth the money. :twocents:

east tx skier
08-26-2004, 10:17 AM
The new skis are night and day. I went from a ski O'Brien stopped making in the mid-late 90s to an 02 HO and the difference is incredible. Lots of leaps in the technology.

Has anyone seen the new HO Manza? Supposed to be incredible.

MasterCrafting
08-26-2004, 10:27 PM
I went from a 70's EP to A Connely F3 And Kidder Redline wow what an amazing change :eek3:

east tx skier
08-27-2004, 10:57 AM
How would you describe the performance of the F3. My brother in law is on the F1, but was looking for a ski for his wife, who is new to slalom and looking to improve. Would the F3 be a good choice. She is on my old O'Brien G2 Weapon at the moment.

MarkP
08-27-2004, 06:08 PM
Doug have you tried that F1 out?? Just curious..

MasterCrafting
08-27-2004, 11:00 PM
This review is goming from a 15 year-old who is just getting there slalom wise. I have used alot of skis but most of them older. When my friend bought his f3 at the end of 8th grade we didnt even know what hit us. The thing cranks around the turns and actually stays with us! I would recomend the ski to someone who already knows what they are doing because it tends to be a bit jumpy. On perfect water i feel like i'm floating and love the way it just cranks around with ease. I have noticed that the tail end kind of skids alittle on the harder cuts but i think thats to be expected with any ski. Bottom line I personaly love the ski because it was the best thing since sliced bread for us. My slalom game has defintaley stepped up by a huge notch using the ski. I would like to try some other skis before i invest but as of right now i would go out and by it. See if you can try it before you buy it and if you like it go for it. Otherwise i would recomend it. My :twocents:

Jerseydave
08-27-2004, 11:25 PM
I met up with njskier today and he let me borrow his HO for a set. WOW :eek3: what a difference!!!!! I am going to order the new ski tomorrow with the double wraps. If I had known what a difference there was I would have done it months ago!!!
Looks like the old Jobe Honeycomb will be up on ebay soon.
Thanks dave for letting me see the light :dance:

Anytime, Andy! You looked good on that ski.

I had forgotten how well it turns, not having used it for about 5 years!

Don't tell anyone of our great ski site. some things are best left quiet.

Thanks again for the pull wednesday. This could be a regular thing! Too bad it's almost sept. already. :cry:

Dave

BrianM
08-28-2004, 11:29 AM
looking for a ski for his wife, who is new to slalom and looking to improve. Would the F3 be a good choice
east tx,

I don't have any experience with the F3 but I did a lot of research on slalom skis for my wife who is in the same boat as your brother in laws wife.

It came down to two skis that I felt would be forgiving enough for her yet allow a lot of progression. The HO Esprit or the KD 3000. Both skis are based on higher end skis with a softer flex. The consensus was that either of these would allow her to ski up to about 28 off in the course.

I ended up getting her the KD 3000 with double Wileys and she loves it. It was really a toss up between the two skis but Wileys just had the best deal on the KD at the time.

Hope that helps.

east tx skier
08-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Brian. For now, she's really enjoying the G2 (can't say enough good things about that ski for intermediate skiing). When she's ready to move up, I'll be sure to remember the KD 3000.

6ballsisall
08-30-2004, 09:05 PM
Been out a few times on my new Phantom Truth with Animal Superfeet's. WoW!!! Night and day difference from my 12 year old HO Mach 1. The first run I didn't like it at all, was trying to ski the course at 28 mph and the ski felt dead. After several tuneups with the fin and the bindings and realizing this ski doesn't come alive til about 32 mph I am in love!! This thing is gnarly, speed is something I thought I had but didn't til I got my swerve on with with this ski!! I will say it is not a forgiving ski at all whereas you could make mistakes on the Mach 1. Havent had much time at all on it in the course since all the adjustments but I am sure I will set a new PB!!

tall_ andy
08-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Congrats on the new ski. I am still waiting for mine to come in, but I can't wait!!!
Good luck setting the new PB also
I am hoping to get my first run of the season through a course on Friday :D

georgea0731
08-31-2004, 10:16 PM
Andy, What ski did you order? What bindings are you putting on it?

Everyone:
I just told a guy I'd buy his extra 68" 04 Mapple. It doesn't have any bindings? So what bindings would you guys recommend? O'brien has the new Bio with front laces while the Contact has been around a couple of years with rear laces.
My old ski 1997/84- KD 7000 is better than I am, but I got a great deal so now I have to invest in bindings. If anyone has bindings for sale, let me know (I need mediums).
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm still learning the course at 15 off and 30-32 mph. I make 4-6 about 50% of the time now that I'm letting go with one hand (a huge difference).

6ballsisall
08-31-2004, 11:07 PM
Loving my new Animal Superfeet bindings. I wouldn't mind trying a set of hard shell bindings though. Can't go wrong with the Animals

tall_ andy
09-01-2004, 12:18 AM
George
I got the HO Phantom. I was trying to order the CDX, but they were out so the Phantom was recommended. I got it with the double Wiley high wraps.
I can't wait to try this thing out........Should be here any day.........

MarkP
09-01-2004, 08:59 AM
TA

Iíll bet you cant wait.. Hope that hurricane doesnít affect your area just as the ski gets to you:( .

Good luck:headbang:

east tx skier
09-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Tall Andy, what size CDX were you looking for at the time? Is Wileys out of the 68" now? Bet you'll love the P-truth!

tall_ andy
09-01-2004, 10:23 AM
I was looking for the 70. I think they are out of both the 68 and the 70 :( The Phantom was recommended so I went with that. The other recommendation was the CR7, but the Phantom was such an awesome price that I had to go with that.
I will let ya'll know as soon as I get to ski it!!
Looks like friday may be out for me though, I was supposed to have the day off when yesterday the cell phone rang and well now friday will start at about 3:30 am
OUCH

east tx skier
09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
George, I used to have the contact bindings on my Mapple. I thought they were fine, but I've heard of others who do not like them much. I found them to be reasonably comfortable for a $100 boot, and they offered good stability and performance, too.

I'm on the animals now, and like them a great deal more. Don't know if the hole pattern matches up though. I've heard of people ripping the animals pretty easy, but they must be skiing more agressively than I.

My wife wants to try out some Wiley's bindings soon. I'd give those a try if the animals won't fit the ski.

So they're apparently out of everything CDX-wise. I'm sure you'll like the Phantom. If not, I called HO headquarters recently and was told that the Jobe Edge is the same ski as the CDX. Don't know if Jobe bought HO or what, but that's what they told me about that ski.

tall_ andy
09-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Well when I got home today (late) I had a package waiting for me :banana: It was my new ski. After a quick change I jumped into the truck and gave the boat a pull to the water :steering: all I can say is :love: :banana:
One of the best birthday gifts I've gotten a 70" HO Phantom with double Wileys. It was like going from old wooden snow skis to new shaped skis. I still cannot believe the difference a ski makes
I am planning on getting to a lake with a course set up this Friday to see how bad I really am!!!!!
But I won't be able to blame the ski
Did I say Woo Hoo.