PDA

View Full Version : Boat ramp antics never change

oldairboater
06-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Yesterday I thought I would ride down to the boat ramp and watch boats/jet skis/people. Couldn't be on the river over work schedules but I thought it would be cool to eat my supper sitting in the jeep at the boat ramp. Watched people come and go for about 45 minutes. I found it interesting that the game wardens were slow getting their boat in the water and I never did understand using salty river water to clean the boat windshield. The topper was a couple of men and a child trying to launch a fishing boat. They loaded the boat in the ramp. They backed the boat to the water and tried everything from using the engine to almost launching the truck to get the boat off of the trailer. They then pulled the boat out of the water while still blocking the ramp and proceeded to unstrap the stern of the boat. They then removed the outboard engine support bar that goes from the engine to the trailer which wouldn't let the engine trim down. Finally they put in the boat plug after letting the water drain for several long minutes. Boat was tied to the trailer. Engine was held up by support bar. Boat plugs weren't in and boat took on water for the five to ten minutes they had it in the water trying to launch it. Wasn't a new boat so I wonder if this is their usual routine every time?

woobiedmd
06-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Glad it wasn't me! Always an adventure at the ramp. My first day out yesterday, everything was great.I did see one interesting loading technique. The 21' boat was at the end of the dock. The owner unwound ALL of the strap to get to the boat and reel it in. Not sure why but his wife and daughter acted like this was the normal routine. Hey, if it works I'm not knocking it!

_fng_
06-19-2011, 09:33 PM
I bought my boat ('97 PS 205) last week and launching yesterday and today was not pretty. Nothing bad happened, I just had difficulty loading her up due to very windy conditions making proper alignment difficult and me being a novice (when younger, I used to launch an old ski boat that was very easy in comparison). I kept thinking of these threads and how somebody may be watching and laughing but as long as it takes less than 5 minutes and proper etiquette is taken I'll just chalk it up to experience. One of my boating goals is to never have any first hand experience with the bad stories I've read about on here!

oxberger
06-20-2011, 02:53 PM
They're bound to happen to everyone at some point. I know I've had my own. Not so much launching, but loading. Before my was running right I almost always had to be towed back in. I have an '85 SS and the original trailer with no winch. Once we'd get towed back in I'd have to back the trailer in pretty deep, but sometimes still could get it close enought to hook the front tow bar up. Luckily I had an F150 to tow with. I'd get in the bed, tie a rope to the bow, and pull using my legs, my friend would then have to let me know if we were even close to the latch bar. Oddly enough, the first time only took us 15 minutes. After perfecting the technique, we could back the trailer down, have the boat on the trailer and latched, and off the ramp in 5. People watching thought we were nuts.

TxsRiverRat
06-20-2011, 02:58 PM
Thank god my site has a private boat ramp... I hate hate hate public boat ramps... The worst is the guy with the sense of entitlement that the ramp itself is the make ready...

chawk610
06-20-2011, 03:57 PM
They're bound to happen to everyone at some point. I know I've had my own. Not so much launching, but loading. Before my was running right I almost always had to be towed back in. I have an '85 SS and the original trailer with no winch. Once we'd get towed back in I'd have to back the trailer in pretty deep, but sometimes still could get it close enought to hook the front tow bar up. Luckily I had an F150 to tow with. I'd get in the bed, tie a rope to the bow, and pull using my legs, my friend would then have to let me know if we were even close to the latch bar. Oddly enough, the first time only took us 15 minutes. After perfecting the technique, we could back the trailer down, have the boat on the trailer and latched, and off the ramp in 5. People watching thought we were nuts.
LMFAO... Been there... many times... my tube rope connected to the bow loop... I am in the bed, push her out a little ways then pull like HELL... my girl slides the latch over the loop! We are pretty good at it too. Thank God we are running really well right now though. Hopefully we won't be doing this for a while!

TxsRiverRat
06-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Lake Bridgeport, TX, Wise County Park circa 1999 I’d owned the Texas River Rat less than 2 years, this being the place that gave it her name... We get caught in a flash torrential downpour on the West Fork of the Trinity River just above the lake... We stuff our then 2 yr old under the observer’s seat of the 205. Everyone else taking over under towels, I left the bimini top up. I had to dive back (baseball cap mandatory) through a rain you could hardly see, other boats doing the same.

We get to the ramp, ex wife backs the trailer down (VERY steep ramp), I connect it all up... The guys on the next lane were loading their wave runner, the driver punches the gas, wave runner comes flying off and lands on the ramp. Ex said “um, that’s not good...” And we slowly lifted my boat out...

I thought it was a good start for the wave runners...

chawk610
06-20-2011, 04:06 PM
LOLOL... sounds about right!!!!!

Wow... 2 year old under the seat!!! Awesome!!!

TxsRiverRat
06-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah, the kiddo was loving under there - little club house!

You can almost always have a great time if you head to Lake Texoma during the summer and eat at Highport Marina, looking at the boat ramp - crap like that happens daily... LOL

MC