PDA

View Full Version : 78 S&S has excessive fuel smell

ctjahn
06-18-2011, 10:18 PM
My 78 S&S has some pretty bad fuel smell when running at idle/no wake for the driver and passenger/spotter. All lines are tight. Fuel vent is tight.

Should I be running with the blower on? Did the PO do somthing? Or is this to be expected?

Cj

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 10:28 PM
does it smell like raw fuel or like the engine is running rich, also you should always run blower when idleing around

ctjahn
06-19-2011, 08:21 AM
does it smell like raw fuel or like the engine is running rich, also you should always run blower when idleing around

I dont think it is running rich. Exhaust is pretty clean. The odor is just straight fuel not burned fuel or rich running motor. It is mostly by the front. If you sit in the back when idling there is no odor.

Didnt realize the blower should be running when at idle...

Thx
cj

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Have you opened the motor cover while it's running to look for a fuel leak?

ctjahn
06-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Have you opened the motor cover while it's running to look for a fuel leak?

Yup! No fuel leaks (although new hose all around). BUT.... I will check again...

Cj

thatsmrmastercraft
06-20-2011, 12:50 PM
If there are no fuel leaks, then you must be running too rich. Take a careful look down the throat of the carb while it is idling to see if there is lots of fuel going through the carb. What is your idle speed set at? Have you gone through the basics: plugs, dist cap & rotor...?