PDA

View Full Version : Impatiently waiting for parts...

Iskidaily
06-18-2011, 05:41 PM
The X- Star has been overheating after runs, so I changed the impeller. The old impeller was unscarred, except for the marks I made on it trying to get it out. That didn't fix the problem. Looked at everything I could get to (I know my limits... most of you are far more capable than I!), then called in a service guy to come take a look, but told him to bring a thermostat. We waited a week to get on his schedule. He came to the same conclusion I did when he saw the situation, but the part he brought didn't fit (ARRGGGGHH!) He will be back Tuesday. Meanwhile, no boat!

My 14 YO son and I did make the best of the situation and are practicing surface tricks behind the pontoon boat. I do feel like getting a bumper sticker that says "My other boat is an X-Star"

Going to the Lake Gaston Big air Water Sports Fair tomorrow... REALLY can't wait to get the boat back!

CardenFam
06-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Not sure if you can do this on a boat but when I have had a thermostat failure in the past I have just cut the insides out and reinstalled the "gutted" thermostat untill I could get a new one.

I haven't done this on my boat but I have done it on trucks and heavy equipment.

G-Star
06-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Thermostats should fail open... but maybe not always?

Have you checked the raw water intake screen on the bottom of the hull, and the raw water side of the transmission cooler for any obstructions? I assume the service guy would have, but who knows... Could save you a couple days wait :confused:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 08:31 PM

Have you checked the raw water intake screen on the bottom of the hull, and the raw water side of the transmission cooler for any obstructions? I assume the service guy would have, but who knows... Could save you a couple days wait :confused:

Every thermostat I have changed has failed in the closed position, well over a hundred...

Iskidaily
06-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks - yes, we both did check that. Unfortunately he took a couple of parts with him, so I am off the water... except for a couple of rides behind the pontoon boat

Thrall
06-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Take the old one to an auto parts store. $5 and you're back on the lake. If yours is one that has a hole drilled in it, just copy the size and location of the hole exactly and go ride!
Are you sure it's overheating, or does the temp just show high after shutting it down and restarting after a run?
If that's the case, the engine does heat up while sitting, off, to about 200deg and then should cool down in about 30sec after restarting. Also, is the temp sender to the guage bad? Rule of thumb, you should be able to put your hand on any part of the engine while it is warmed up AND RUNNING without burning yourself, including the exhaust manifolds (they will be hot, but water is regulated at 160 deg going thru the engine and the manifolds receive cold water, kepping their temps down.
Couple ideas to look at.