PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer

krra1
06-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Both speedometers have stopped working. One stopped awhile ago and the other this morning. Needs some suggestions or tips on what to look for to get them back on line.
The boat is a 1990 Maristar 210. The connections at the water look to be ok. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 06:25 PM
see if the hoses came off the back of the speedo heads, or some strange water leaks inside of boat might indicate a hose has developed a leak and needs replacement...

WilliM1940
06-18-2011, 07:05 PM
Take a paper clip, straighten it, and stick it in the pitot hole. Crap gets plugged up in there.

Monteluna
06-18-2011, 07:12 PM
A nice back-up option if you have an iPhone is get this app (Just Speed - $.99):

http://youtu.be/DVwUWvJkVcM

And this holder:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H0UOG6

I tried it out today for the first time and it was very accurate. Loved it. It uses a bit of battery on your phone, but I have an iPhone adapter for my stereo that charges it while in use.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Another thing to try is with the rubber tubing removed from the back of a speedometer is to use a can of compressed air to blow through the rubber line to ensure that there are no obstructions. A word of caution......never use any compressed air to blow through the lines from the pitot end while the speedometer is still connected. that will certainly damage the speedometer.

If all else fails, you can always remove the speedometer from the dash and disassemble it for cleaning. I had to do that to mine, and was amazed at the crud and bugs that work their way inside. It is relatively easy to disassemble provided you have the proper sized screwdrivers. The screws are rather small and easy to strip. The thing to look out for is there are a couple small brass spacers that would like to fall out onto the floor if given the opportunity. I have a few pictures of the speedometers in this thread http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32306&highlight=airguide The mechanism is very simple and easy to clean. They are meant to operate dry so don't grease them up. I should have pictures of the back somewhere, but can't find them at the moment. A small soft paint brush is a good tool for cleaning as they are rather delicate. While they are apart, simple grommets from the hardware store are easily installed in the glass to fit around the calibrating adjustment screw.

If you get it apart and have any questions, PM me as I am on here way too much and would be able to respond promptly.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 07:39 PM
you could remove speedometers and apply air pressure directly to gauge from a hand held vacuum, pressure pump, caution do not use a lot of pressure to check and see if the problem is the gauges or its somewhere from the gauges to the pitot tubes.

RMUDBUGS
06-19-2011, 07:03 PM
I bought my 2000 PS 205 three years ago and none of my guages worked. I have just used my GPS as a Speedo. This year I found out why the gauges didn't work. They are all controlled by a control unit (Medallion MDC-1600). It has two electrial connections and two connections for the hoses from the water pick up. The control unit had been leaking water for a long time and shorted out. The part where the hoses plug in broke of this year and was "pumping" water into the boat. This is how I discovered it. I used a vacume hose connecter to connect the two hoses together to stop the leak.

MC4SNETS
06-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Just dealt with the same thing this weekend. The pilot tube can get clogged with debris. I had no idea what to do so I pulled the boat out and removed the pickup from the hull. I found that the thing was clogged and I just needed to clean the debris out. A paper clip or safety pin works great pushing the debris from the small hole forward to the bigger hole. I will keep a safety pin on my boat keyring. Easy fix underwater with goggles if you have looked at it out of the water first. Also a great thing to check when putting the plug in the transom.

madman
06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
We have so much debris running down the river this time of year that my pickups get clogged almost every time out. Same in the lake that I go to. I just pull the rubber hose off of the pickup then attach my own little piece of tubing to the pickup, the other end to my blow gun on the compressor, give it a quick squirt of air and the crap flies out of the pickup, reconnect the rubber tubing and your ready to go out and clog them again. Going down to my shop to clean the one that got plugged yesterday in a little while(after my coffee) good luck.

krra1
06-27-2011, 09:29 PM
First off thanks to everyone who posted a recommendation on what to do. This past weekend I took both speedometers apart, cleaned and blew out with compressed air and then cleared both sensors under the boat. A lot of crap came out of both. Now one speedometer work better than ever but the other is broken. The small thin part of the underwater sensor that the hose slips over snapped off and there is no way to connect the hose to it. The sensor needs to be replaced, this raises a few questions. Where can i get a speedometer sensor for a 1990 boat and is this a easy operation. I am always nervous when unscrewing something in the gel-coat, and this us under the water level. Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts on this.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Sensor? Area you referring to the pitot at the very back of the boat that has a small arm and vacuum tubing, if so then they are available just about everywhere, overtons, west marine, skidim, dealer like this http://www.waterskis.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Pitot_Tube&gdftrk=gdfV22552_a_7c873_a_7c3323_a_7cPitot_Tube

krra1
06-28-2011, 08:36 AM
that's exactly what I am looking for. Was not sure of the name of the part. thank you.

madman
06-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Also, don't worry about pulling them off of your hull, the screws don't go all the way through. I sometimes have to remove them to clean them out when they get really plugged.

east tx skier
06-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Take a paper clip, straighten it, and stick it in the pitot hole. Crap gets plugged up in there.

Paper clip might be a bit too big (maybe not). Safety pins worked well for me. Ideally, get hold of a dental drill bit. That's basically what they used to sell on the key chains specifically for this pupose.

krra1
07-12-2011, 08:29 PM
OK, here is where we stand with the speedometer. Got the pitot on with out much trouble and let the boat sit out of the water for 5 days before dropping it back in to let the marine glue dry. Started up the boat and the speedometer still did not work. Also, as I traveled along at any speed over 10 mph water would pour out of the dash board. Found the tubing was not connected to the speedometer and connected it. Speedometer still did not work so I went with east tx skier idea of clearing the back of the speedometer with a paper clip and then blew it out with compressed air. The thing was completely blocked but is now clear. I will up date this weekend if it finally works.

carlsonwa
08-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Another thing to try is with the rubber tubing removed from the back of a speedometer is to use a can of compressed air to blow through the rubber line to ensure that there are no obstructions. A word of caution......never use any compressed air to blow through the lines from the pitot end while the speedometer is still connected. that will certainly damage the speedometer.

If all else fails, you can always remove the speedometer from the dash and disassemble it for cleaning. I had to do that to mine, and was amazed at the crud and bugs that work their way inside. It is relatively easy to disassemble provided you have the proper sized screwdrivers. The screws are rather small and easy to strip. The thing to look out for is there are a couple small brass spacers that would like to fall out onto the floor if given the opportunity. I have a few pictures of the speedometers in this thread http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32306&highlight=airguide The mechanism is very simple and easy to clean. They are meant to operate dry so don't grease them up. I should have pictures of the back somewhere, but can't find them at the moment. A small soft paint brush is a good tool for cleaning as they are rather delicate. While they are apart, simple grommets from the hardware store are easily installed in the glass to fit around the calibrating adjustment screw.

If you get it apart and have any questions, PM me as I am on here way too much and would be able to respond promptly.

I have a question about using compressed air to clean out my airguide system on my 99' sportstar. I do no have any electronic module under the dash that converts to the speedo's. Just 2 tubes that run to the back of the gauges on the dash back to 2 gold tubes mounted on the gas tank, to the pickups in the water.

One of my gauges stopped working... so I pulled off the hose from the pickup in the water and used air to blow reverse into the top of the pickup and some water came out. But still did not fix the problem.

The dealership reccomended removing the tube from the back of the speedo and blowing air all the way back..... Can I damage the "gold tubes" on the gas tank? Not sure what is going on in there?

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww238/wayne_carlson/IMG_0305-1.jpg
Thanks!