PDA

View Full Version : Drought of 2011

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Here in Houston 77 straight days of 95+ degrees temps, of those days we've had 7 times of measurable rain fall not measuring up to much, and we have a 17" rainfall deficit. The main body of Lake Houston and Lake Conroe are still ok and boatable but most boat ramps and the San Jacinto river are all but closed up. Some pictures of my ramp off the San Jacinto River where I live

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Local HPD patrol tells me that the water level in 4.5-5 ft below normal levels in the lake and river, it's pretty bad when what was covered by water is now just vegitation and the sand is already turning to powder, here is a few more...

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 02:08 PM
heres what it looks like when google snapped this shot, even this is low

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=30.026495,-95.206232&spn=0.004301,0.009345&t=h&z=17

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-18-2011, 02:14 PM
I've started to petition the HOA to do some dredging since the water is all but gone, they said they would look into it, after all what are my maintenance fees being used for anyways...

houtexX30
06-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Man that river looks pretty bad. Last time I was out was about 3-4 weeks ago. We pretty much stick to the north side of conroe though. I'll probably be out next weekend. Hopefully our ramp is still functional.

gts-20
06-18-2011, 03:32 PM
We will be headed to Conroe tomorrow. If we don't get some rain soon, it will be tough for us to use the ramp @ our storage facility. Two weeks ago it was only three feet deep at the dock.

gts-20
06-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Man that river looks pretty bad. Last time I was out was about 3-4 weeks ago. We pretty much stick to the north side of conroe though. I'll probably be out next weekend. Hopefully our ramp is still functional.

What ramp are you using?

Thrall
06-18-2011, 03:40 PM
D@mn! I was reading that most TX ranchers are wholesaling even heifers for slaughter becuase they can't keep 'em in feed and water.
Take some of our water! Just moved to Seattle area and while it always rains alot, it's supposed to let up for the summer months but it hasn't. Rarely breaks 70deg yet and in the 3 weeks since the lawn was last mowed at the house we are buying (closed yesterday, have to change my location sig!) the godd@mn grass grew about 18"...really.
Looks like I just made hay in the back yard.
Friends in NM said they haven't had hardly a drop of rain/snow since last October.
Maybe this is the end of days coming! Half the country's burning up or getting leveld by tornadoes and the other half is flooding.

vandit0022
06-18-2011, 04:20 PM
D@mn! I was reading that most TX ranchers are wholesaling even heifers for slaughter becuase they can't keep 'em in feed and water.
Take some of our water! Just moved to Seattle area and while it always rains alot, it's supposed to let up for the summer months but it hasn't. Rarely breaks 70deg yet and in the 3 weeks since the lawn was last mowed at the house we are buying (closed yesterday, have to change my location sig!) the godd@mn grass grew about 18"...really.
Looks like I just made hay in the back yard.
Friends in NM said they haven't had hardly a drop of rain/snow since last October.
Maybe this is the end of days coming! Half the country's burning up or getting leveld by tornadoes and the other half is flooding.

Welcome to Seattle summer! haha, don't worry summer will start July 5th. No but in all seriousness two years ago the summer was amazing, with 70+ starting in May and not ending till October. But last summer and so far this summer it's been horrendous. When it's nice, Seattle summers are the best........but it just has to show up, and it will I swear. What lakes you go to?

gatorguy
06-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Oklahoma is no better off than Texas. We have had a few tornados and other than that it has been 100+ with no end in sight. The lake one mile from me is closed due to low water level so I have been trailering 20min to the next closest lake. Needless to say, my garden which was doing great is now barely hanging on.

Cobra Rob
06-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Sad... Our rivers are dangerously high to the point they are having to shut stuff down. We can ship some of the water down to you.

1985 Skiier
06-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear about the water situation. If your out in CA this year the lakes will be full. The problem is they are so full that there are no beaches and the water is in the trees!

madman
06-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Here in Oregon it's about the same as seattle, been just under 70 degrees with a couple of 70+ days. Rivers are right at flood level, using the sissy dry suit to stay warm. I'm with Cobra Rob, bring your buckets and take all the water you need....please......summer officially starts here on july 5th, almost always rains on independence day.

konaking
06-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Record water year in Utah. Some ramps are closed at my local lake due to high water. A few years ago it was the opposite though.

Cobra Rob
06-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Here in Oregon it's about the same as seattle, been just under 70 degrees with a couple of 70+ days. Rivers are right at flood level, using the sissy dry suit to stay warm. I'm with Cobra Rob, bring your buckets and take all the water you need....please......summer officially starts here on july 5th, almost always rains on independence day.

Yep yep. I am in the portland area. When we went to willamtte park right before I left for korea there was no ramp. The water was in the parking lot. Usually it's about 20ft long and the end pier is sitting on land still.

madman
06-19-2011, 10:30 AM
Yep yep. I am in the portland area. When we went to willamtte park right before I left for korea there was no ramp. The water was in the parking lot. Usually it's about 20ft long and the end pier is sitting on land still.

Wallace marine park in salem still has no boat dock....the main posts are still mostly submerged. Not alot of fun getting people in the boat with no place to pick them up.

oldairboater
06-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Always interesting to see these rivers and bayous down even if it is inconvenient. Sometimes uncovers things we never knew were there. Being on the coast. Our rivers and bayous are still full for the most part but the salt water content is high. Just requires me to do a better job rinsing the boat and trailer while flushing out the engine. One of the bayous near my house is fresh water so rinsing the trailer and flushing the engine are easy. I just stop there and dip the trailer and let fresh water circulate through my engine while using my fresh water wash down to clean off anything we tracked into the boat. I then just finish washing the boat at home. I do that with all of my boats.

houtexX30
06-20-2011, 10:11 AM
What ramp are you using?

We launch at Scott's Ridge on the north side off of FM1097. My family has a bunch of property about a mile from there where we keep the boat.

gts-20
06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
We launch at Scott's Ridge on the north side off of FM1097. My family has a bunch of property about a mile from there where we keep the boat.

We used to use that ramp before we started storing our boat at the lake. I just don't like the fact that there is no dock. We were in the cove all day Sunday. The ramp was crowded, and looked like the water was plenty deep enough.

onejdgreen
06-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Come to the midwest, we have enough surplus water to take care of everyone...

https://picasaweb.google.com/104592539075472798431/TheGreatMissouriRiverFloodOf2011#