PDA

View Full Version : Velvet drive rebuild problems

ghollow
06-18-2011, 02:39 PM
I have a 1998 Mastercraft inboard with a velvet drive 10-17 trans. I rebuilt it using a kit I got from Skidim with new seals clutches, etc. When I first put it in the water to test, I had forward and reverse. I took it for a spin and it was slipping bad in forward when I gave it throttle. Reverse quit working altogther. I am not sure what I have done wrong or where to start checking for possible problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know of a mechanic in DFW metroplex that rebuilds velvet drives?

krcflyer
06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
Mine acted up on initial run-in after rebuild by a shop and install by the dealer. Checking the fluid level(and filling) after it had run, helped. Apparently, the trans can cavitate (according to the rebuild guy) Anyway, similar symptoms and the fluid refill seemed to cure it.

Kyle
06-20-2011, 12:05 AM
The front pump may have a rolled seal. Front pump may be bad. Who took the tranny apart. Check fluid level first.

kellett5261
04-04-2014, 09:05 PM
I have a 1998 Mastercraft inboard with a velvet drive 10-17 trans. I rebuilt it using a kit I got from Skidim with new seals clutches, etc. When I first put it in the water to test, I had forward and reverse. I took it for a spin and it was slipping bad in forward when I gave it throttle. Reverse quit working altogther. I am not sure what I have done wrong or where to start checking for possible problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know of a mechanic in DFW metroplex that rebuilds velvet drives?

hey did you ever figure out what happened? i just did a complete overhaul on mine and dropped her in the water to make sure it was all go....ran fine at first and went to speed up ....bam slipping like a mother...then i lost reverse...played hell getting itt back on the trailer.