PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass screwing up??

flya750
06-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Hello,

I had an odd thing happen yesterday on my '97 w/LT1... I have perfect pass and it has worked flawlessly for the past several years.

Except yesterday... I would throttle up and the you would hear the beep... but then the cruise seemed to increase RPM greatly...

Even though my analog gauge was reading about 34mph.. my perfect gauge was reading 52?

The cruise could just not hold speed...and wanted to increase??

I checkout the paddle wheel speed sensor.. it seems okay? I check all the linkage cables and they aren't loose?

Should I disconnect the battery? Maybe reboot the computer?

Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

nickespi
06-18-2011, 04:26 PM
My PP acts crazy quite often. The speed will jump like crazy and sometimes read 0.0 even though we are moving. My paddlewheel moves freely, but something crazy is going on. I'm about to install a GPS sensor in place of the paddlewheel. This will clear up those issues. Not a cheap fix, but better in the long run.

flya750
06-19-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't think my problem is a sensor issue..? What was odd was my RPM would shoot up to 4k+.... way past the 34mph setting.

I didn't know I could get a GPS paddle wheel.. good to know..

My PP acts crazy quite often. The speed will jump like crazy and sometimes read 0.0 even though we are moving. My paddlewheel moves freely, but something crazy is going on. I'm about to install a GPS sensor in place of the paddlewheel. This will clear up those issues. Not a cheap fix, but better in the long run.

bturner2
06-19-2011, 09:17 AM
The first question I usually asked is what's changed recently? Have you added any new options or electrical parts to the boat? If so you may want to start with these as possible items causing or contributing to the problem. Also don't overlook PP support. They've been absolutely great when I've called them for help.

Can't say for sure what's going on for either problem but when trouble shooting mine a couple years back with PP support they seem to focus on grounding and electrical noise. Grounding is really important on boats. You may want to go through and check all your connections from the engine to the battery then to the dash.