PDA

View Full Version : How long can my boat sit in the water?

morphis
06-17-2011, 06:16 PM
I have a 2005 X2 with about 450 hours on it. It lives on a lake at a private dock but I do not have a lift. When not in use I do manage to get the cover on it but several of the boat owners around me (not necessarily MC owners) tell me I need to pull my boat out of the water every 3-4 weeks so that the fiberglass can dry out. This is a fresh water lake and my cove is relatively protected and calm. I keep a solar trickle charger on the batteries so I am not really worried about them going dead and it slowly sinking. I use the boat three or more times a week anyway. Has anyone heard of the practice and is there any credence to it? Other than the obvious issue of lake water is dirty and tends to discolor the boat from the waterline on down…

Bobwire
06-17-2011, 10:49 PM
You dont want to keep it in there indefinately, gelcoat is porus. And after a while it will obsorb water and eventually start to blister. (assuming you dont have bottom paint on it)
If you do want to keep it in the water for years at a time, you would need to put an epoxy barrier coat on it to prevent the osmosis for occuring.

UrbantuxTN
06-18-2011, 08:25 AM
I had my 2011 X15 in the lake from April 1 through June 9. The only problem I had was growth, got the boat detailed and now it is like it has always been on the lift. A lot people will be adamant that you get it out of the water, I think you would be fine for a season at a time but it is better safe than sorry. For what these boats cost it is best to err on the side of caution.

bigmac
06-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Bear in mind that keeping your boat in the water without a barrier coat is a crap shoot. Some people have no problem, others do. Lots of people will post in this thread, as they have in many other such threads here over the last several years, that they keep their boat in the water 24/7/365 and have no problem, and from that you might want to conclude that you'll be fine. MasterCraft doesn't cover hull blistering as part of their warranty and hasn't since 1981. So, the question is...do you feel lucky?

http://SSEquine.net/blisters.jpg

This guy got blisters just from his boat sitting on a wet bunk on his trailer. It's an expensive repair.

http://SSEquine.net/blisters1.jpg http://SSEquine.net/blisters2.jpg

erkoehler
06-18-2011, 10:24 AM
You will get blisters, maybe not this year, but eventually it will happen.

Nobody can say if the process will take a year or 5 years.

Bottom paint will take 25%+++ off resale value.

SkiDog
06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
How long can my boat sit in the water?

Till the damn thing sinks!:)

tjuggy
06-18-2011, 06:13 PM
I just bought my 96 and the guy I bought it from took and had mastercraft put the coating on it because it sat in the water alot.

What can you do to get it taken off and put back to normel?

MasterKraftS&S
06-18-2011, 06:44 PM
. . .

Till the damn thing sinks!:)

LOL Right!?

erkoehler
06-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I just bought my 96 and the guy I bought it from took and had mastercraft put the coating on it because it sat in the water alot.

Sand and refinish the hull!

morphis
06-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. So, what would be the recomendation then for time? Two weeks, three? A month? then pull it out for a day? a week?

agarabaghi
06-20-2011, 10:25 AM
My boat has been sitting in the water since 2006. The PO left it in the water, and I now leave it in the water. I pull it out every other weekend and compound / wax the hull. No blisters, no discoloration. Maybe im lucky.

davomaddo
06-24-2011, 02:20 AM
I had a Malibu Wakesetter in Lake WA. I would leave it in the water May - Sept. I didn't have a close place to store my trailer, so I would only take it out 2-3 times per summer to go on trips or to clean it. I never had a problem. I would dive on it and scrub the bottom occasionally when the bottom started getting brown - to clean off the algea.

Most everyone on Lake WA leaves their boats in the water most all the summer with no lifts and no bottom paint. I have had buddies with Malibu, Natique, but no MC. I didn't get my MC until I moved to the Salt Water and I don't leave my boat in for extended time. I have never heard of the blister problem until I looked on this website.

lintwurm
06-24-2011, 09:31 AM

NO!!

I used plascon paint remover. It is water based and it removed all the paint. Gave it a wet sand and buffed it up