PDA

View Full Version : Buying a MC...appraisals?!

Rain King
06-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Been lurking and reading here for the past few weeks. Good stuff!

I'm interested in buying a friends 1999 MariStar 210 (500 hrs). He told me to name a price (he wants it gone). I've looked all around the interwebs to come up with a decent offering price and they vary wildly. I've also contacted local dealerships to no avail. Anyone have knowledge (other than NADA) of where I could gather some decent information to come up with an offer price.

Really appreciate it. This would be my first boat.

Delete if this violates any of the rules that I read through.

BrianM
06-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Lots of factors in pricing. Many boats in good condition bring substantially more than NADA prices, then there are others out there that have been abused and neglected and bring substantially less. Post up some photos and a better description of the boat and many here will chime in with an opinion of value. Lots of different factors when pricing or making an offer on a boat.

Rain King
06-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the reply Brian. I've got plenty of detail, I just didn't want run amok of board rules before I went nuts. Pics will have to wait till next week.

The boat:
1999 MariStar 210
500 hours
Stored for the last 8 years in a lake in the PNW (all year).
Bottom painted.
The interior shows it is 12 years old...
- some cup holders are broke
- the vinyl is stained from molding and cover marks
- the vinyl is in good shape (no cracking or anything that needs replacing)
- carpet could use a good cleaning
Swim step in good shape
Battery dies every winter
Engine always take several cranks to start up and needs to warm up in neutral before it stays on.
Runs great in general. Had it up to 30+ mph this weekend and it ran smooth.
Steering is smooth and easy.
There was a leak in the boat at one point (bilge leak), a bit of flooding, but not much and fixed.
Hasn't pulled that many/if any people off the back in 5 years.
Exterior could use a good wax, but looks fine otherwise.
Comes with trailer.

BrianM
06-18-2011, 02:36 PM
The boat sounds pretty rough to me. That motor with those hours should fire up first crank and idle smooth right away. Sounds like it needs serious tune up at a minimum. Flooding could cause future issues as well. Bottom painted and stored in water for 8 years is a HUGE negative. Is it salt or fresh water? If salt that is even worse. Keep in mind that an interior would cost you in the neighborhood of $2-3k to redo. Most buyers are looking for clean interiors and although you say no cracking, moldy and stained along with cracked cup holders shows lack of maintenance and general need of replacement. If cared for a 12 year old interior can look nearly brand new. Don't know values specifically of Maristars myself but do know that from your description above it is going to be on the very low end for similar boats.

10ptmust
06-18-2011, 10:25 PM
I have the same boat, same year, 280 hours on the LT1 engine. Mine fires on the first crank and runs well over 40 with the OEM prop on it.
I agree, sounds like the boat needs some work, might be worth it depending the price and your appetite to deal with it.
Feel free to PM me. I have the same boat in the Seattle area (Samammish) to be exact.

10ptmust
06-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh, and since you're in the NW, depending on where, there are a ton of marine surveyors around who can asses the boat for you. I had a full assesment, appraisal, and mechanical inspection (by a marine mechanic not the surveyor) done on mine before I bought it.

LaRue
06-19-2011, 12:56 AM
we have 2000 maristar 210, no tower, no PP,
LTR engine, 330 hrs, Fiberglass platform, interior is in excellent shape
single axle trailer in good shape with several new additions.
Boat has run flawlessly since we bought it in the fall of 2009
We paid 20K
Bought in the Midwest

Hope this helps gain some perspective

Maristar210
06-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Bottom painted = PASS

MC4SNETS
06-19-2011, 03:42 AM
we have 2000 maristar 210, no tower, no PP,
LTR engine, 330 hrs, Fiberglass platform, interior is in excellent shape
single axle trailer in good shape with several new additions.
Boat has run flawlessly since we bought it in the fall of 2009
We paid 20K
Bought in the Midwest

Hope this helps gain some perspective

Yep, that's about right.......Painted bottom? Why? Hmmm, not a scratch on my hull. Not sure what you are looking for price-wise. My 2001 210 is about showroom condition for under 20K before tower and bimini. I'd be leary of a boat that needed the hull painted....lotsa boats out there.

Engine should fire right up and not die or need warm-up......it's a modern engine should be able to dunk and drive......mine does...

CantRepeat
06-19-2011, 08:01 AM
Bottom painted = PASS

Yup, because it probably wasn't painted before the gelcoat went south, but after to hide/cover what the issues are.

bturner2
06-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Are we talking painted bottom as in anti fowling? I've seen a couple out this way and cringe every time I see one. That type of paint is used primarily on boats that are docked for long periods and really reduce the value of any inboard ski boat or runabout for that matter.

If we're talking paint like epoxy then there most likely was some damage which would explain the leaking bilge. To be truthful I'm not sure which would be worse but both are really bad and would greatly reduce the desirability/value of the boat.

If we say the boat is worth $18K as a good deal in perfect shape and work backwards to get into shape I'd subtract $3K to re gelcoat and/or fix the bottom correctly, $2K for the interior, $500 for engine tune up, $500 for trailer repair (based on the condition of the boat this is probably light) and another $1K for a new cover. That puts us at about $11K. I know this sounds harsh but when you don't take care of you possessions and do stupid things to them that's what happens to the value. There's a ton of work here that needs to be done and lord knows what you may not be seeing.

Thrall
06-20-2011, 10:42 AM
2nd what bturner said. If you want a project, that's aewsome, but you need to get a good deal on it ot make it worth while. If you don't mind spending close to $20k, then there are ALOT of pristine MC's in that price range that are gas and go.

02ProstarSammyD
06-20-2011, 10:57 AM
As someone who bought a boat in similar condition let me assure you it always cost more to fix it than what you expect. On the upside if you get a smoking good deal and get to redo interior, etc you end up with a great looking boat for a good price. I've replaced so much little crap on my boat that at this point I could have bought a perfect boat for the same price.

Rain King
06-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Wow! Thanks for all of the great replies. I'll PM some of you for additional info.

To answer a few questions:
It has spent it's entire life in freshwater.

The reason it was bottome painted was because they knew they would be keeping it in the water year-round and parked next to their house. Since these boats are meant to be taken out of the water they wanted to protect against that. No nefarious covering up of other issues.

The water leak was because of a leak in the exhaust manifold that was promptly fixed and no issues have occured since.

From using some of my own elbow grease, most of the stains and such should come out of the vinyl. I've worked on some of them already and it may not come back to original, but good enough that most people wouldn't notice or mind.

It's a friend's boat so I know they don't neglect their boat, but don't use it very often and as such the cover stays on for long periods of time. The have heaters on during the winter and it stays in calm waters at all times.

Again...a big thanks to the community here. I believe they were thinking of consigning the boat, so coming up with a solid offer and taking a bit off for what they would lose in consignment was my plan.