PDA

View Full Version : New Stereo in 96 Prostar 190LT

tideengineer
06-17-2011, 12:38 PM
About to replace a 15 year old Pioneer system in my 1996 Prostar 190....I'm a pretty technically oriented guy (engineer) but not as much with electronics....from research I am planning on buying Clarion m309 and 2 sets of Polk 651 speakers to replace the existing front back speakers. No tower right now...maybe in future if funds allow. Am I on the right track? Should I buy an AMP now? What channel?...Trying not to break the bank on this project....lots to do on the boat....

Thanks in advance...

east tx skier
06-17-2011, 04:00 PM
The Polks are great bang for your buck speakers. Do you plan to throw a sub under the bow. Even if you don't want to scare the fish, a nice 10 in a sealed enclosure under the nose will really round out your sound. I have a closed bow with a Pair of DB651s in the front, Component DB6501s in the rear and a MM840 8" sub in a sealed box on the hump (different brand) firing to the starboard side off the hull under the bow. Powered by a 5 channel Infinity Amp. Tuner will run the ipod. I pretty economically priced setup that sounds great to my ears and doesn't tend to bother people on the shore or in other boats.

tideengineer
06-19-2011, 10:06 PM
i am plannig on getting a tower later in life....just wanting to get the head unit and speakers in first....do I have to have an amp yet?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
No you don't 'need' an amp right now, you could run your 4 speakers off the head unit for now and figure what you want to do later and do your research for future upgrades...

tideengineer
06-20-2011, 08:10 AM
kind of what I was thinking.....thought the Clarion M309 with good speakers would be enough for now and get a 4-5 channel AMP when I got my tower and speakers...

tideengineer
06-28-2011, 08:47 PM
ok....have a little problem....I've got the Clarion m309 on the way but my existing speaker grills are 6.5".....I really want some white speakers and the Polk are silver and gray....any suggestions? Pioneer 1640's are 6-7/8" in diameter....